Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Nonito "The Flash" Donaire

Nonito has a big fight in February against Vasquez. While I can think of a few opponents I would prefer to see Nonito fight, it's his first fight at 122 and against someone who compares in size to Donaire. Thus, I understand why Donaire took this fight. However, I view February's fight as a baby step in terms of Donaire's progression because Vasquez isn't on his level in terms of skill. This post may be a bit premature, but it's worth mentioning because I can easily see it happening: I don't want to see Donaire face Arce at 122. There are just too many fights out there that are much better. If you take into consideration the bantamweight division where there are good challengers in Mares, Agbecko and Moreno, and the guys at super bantamweight in Rigonadeaux, Ramos, Nishioka, Kratingdaengym, Arce is just a poor choice for his next fight. I understand Arum said that Nishioka was open to a fight in the late Spring, which would be a fantastic fight, but if it can't happen, here's hoping that Donaire makes a better decision than Arce. Arce is a popular fighter and it may be the best financial option. It's just not the best option. That is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nonito "The Flash" Donaire

This is going to be a better fight and tougher fight then we all think. The Flash is good, but this kid can fight too. I just hope the kids' pop don't get in the way of a great fight.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Live View Post
    This is going to be a better fight and tougher fight then we all think. The Flash is good, but this kid can fight too. I just hope the kids' pop don't get in the way of a great fight.
    I don't disagree. However, didn't we all think that about Montiel. No, but you may have a point, I can see it being a fan-friendly fight, but I also see Donaire breaking him down for a mid-round stoppage.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Nonito has a big fight in February against Vasquez. While I can think of a few opponents I would prefer to see Nonito fight, it's his first fight at 122 and against someone who compares in size to Donaire. Thus, I understand why Donaire took this fight. However, I view February's fight as a baby step in terms of Donaire's progression because Vasquez isn't on his level in terms of skill. This post may be a bit premature, but it's worth mentioning because I can easily see it happening: I don't want to see Donaire face Arce at 122. There are just too many fights out there that are much better. If you take into consideration the bantamweight division where there are good challengers in Mares, Agbecko and Moreno, and the guys at super bantamweight in Rigonadeaux, Ramos, Nishioka, Kratingdaengym, Arce is just a poor choice for his next fight. I understand Arum said that Nishioka was open to a fight in the late Spring, which would be a fantastic fight, but if it can't happen, here's hoping that Donaire makes a better decision than Arce. Arce is a popular fighter and it may be the best financial option. It's just not the best option. That is all.
    Donaire would annihilate Arce, so I hope that fight never happens. I just like seeing Donaire fight, so Vazquez will be OK next, and then my pick would be Mares after that.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Donaire would annihilate Arce, so I hope that fight never happens. I just like seeing Donaire fight, so Vazquez will be OK next, and then my pick would be Mares after that.
    Nishioka or the Rigandeaux/Ramos winner if he is staying at 122 after the Vasquez fight.

Mares or Moreno if he is moving down to 118. Those are his only good options, right?

I rank Rigandeaux and Donaire as the best in the lighter weight classes. That's the fight I really want to see. However, Nishioka is good too. Anything else would be a disappointment.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It will be a good fight whilst it lasts. Donaire will have too much for Vasquez jr and stops him mid way.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nishioka or the Rigandeaux/Ramos winner if he is staying at 122 after the Vasquez fight.

Mares or Moreno if he is moving down to 118. Those are his only good options, right?

I rank Rigandeaux and Donaire as the best in the lighter weight classes. That's the fight I really want to see. However, Nishioka is good too. Anything else would be a disappointment.
    I agree with Nishioka or the Rigandeaux/Ramos winner. No other fights I'd care to see him in at 122. This fight against Arce's leftover is deeply disappointing to me, even as a first fight at the weight.

If he can't/won't make those fights, he should go immediately to 126 where the much bigger and better fights are. There's no chance of him going back to 118 -- he's said he had trouble making that weight. Much better fights at 126 anyway. He's at least 3 inches taller than Vasquez at 122 as is.

I really wish he'd skipped 122 altogether -- a mediocre division and a waste of his prime, IMO.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post

I agree with Nishioka or the Rigandeaux/Ramos winner. No other fights I'd care to see him in at 122. This fight against Arce's leftover is deeply disappointing to me, even as a first fight at the weight.

If he can't/won't make those fights, he should go immediately to 126 where the much bigger and better fights are. There's no chance of him going back to 118 -- he's said he had trouble making that weight. Much better fights at 126 anyway. He's at least 3 inches taller than Vasquez at 122 as is.

I really wish he'd skipped 122 altogether -- a mediocre division and a waste of his prime, IMO.
    Nishioka is a good fight as is the winner of Rigandeaux/Ramos. As far as legacy goes, gaining titles in multiple weight classes is a good thing and there is no reason to jump to 126 if he can still make 122 safely. Maybe moving down to 118 is the wrong move if he had trouble making weight though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As far as legacy goes, gaining titles in multiple weight classes is a good thing and there is no reason to jump to 126 if he can still make 122 safely.
    To some people still, I suppose. With the absurd proliferation of BS titles, I don't count it for anything unless we're talking about the true lineal championship or at the very least unifying all of the belts, neither of which Nonito bothered to go for at 115 or 118 anyway. For me, fighting the best competition is more important for legacy than holding different paper titles in three (ridiculous!) classes that span 7 pounds.

The guys you mention at 122 are "good" but they're obviously not as good as the top guys at 126 and there's no fight around these weight classes anywhere near as big/important as Donaire/Gamboa would be. Instead, what will happen is that Gamboa will have outgrown 126 by the time Donaire gets there and we'll never get the fight. Hardly worth it just to see fights against Arce's leftover and, if we're lucky, against some other B+ fighters.
    Last edited by shza; 01-04-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As far as legacy goes, gaining titles in multiple weight classes is a good thing and there is no reason to jump to 126 if he can still make 122 safely.
    To some people still, I suppose. With the absurd proliferation of BS titles, I don't count it for anything unless we're talking about the true lineal championship or at the very least unifying all of the belts, neither of which Nonito bothered to go for at 115 or 118 anyway. For me, fighting the best competition is more important for legacy than holding different paper titles in three (ridiculous!) classes that span 7 pounds.

The guys you mention at 122 are "good" but they're obviously not as good as the top guys at 126 and there's no fight around these weight classes anywhere near as big/important as Donaire/Gamboa would be. Instead, what will happen is that Gamboa will have outgrown 126 by the time Donaire gets there and we'll never get the fight. Hardly worth it just to see fights against Arce's leftover and, if we're lucky, against some other B+ fighters.
    I'm not sure I 100% agree but I hear your point outside of Nishioka and Rigandeaux (I expect to beat Ramos). They're both legitimate competition. The paper belt concept I completely agree with. Better competition is more important than belts. However, he doesn't want to be seen as skipping good competition on his way up in weight.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 01-04-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not sure I 100% agree but I hear your point outside of Nishioka and Rigandeaux (I expect to beat Ramos). They're both legitimate competition. The paper belt concept I completely agree with. Better competition is more important than belts. However, he doesn't want to be seen as skipping good competition on his way up in weight.
    I think that ship has sailed. He didn't fight Mares or Moreno at 118. Or Agbeko. And I really don't think anyone would think of it as ducking Nishioka or Rigandeaux if Nonito fought JuanMa or Gamboa instead.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that ship has sailed. He didn't fight Mares or Moreno at 118. Or Agbeko. And I really don't think anyone would think of it as ducking Nishioka or Rigandeaux if Nonito fought JuanMa or Gamboa instead.
    Clearly, but the trajectory is better. Beat the bst at 122, as you suggested maybe only the best are worth fighting there, and then face the best at 126. Frankly, if he beat Rigandeaux and then Gamboa, we'd be watching something special, like once every twenty years special.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Greatest Filipino fighter of all time must face Toshiaki Nishioka in June.. That's the plan..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Clearly, but the trajectory is better. Beat the bst at 122, as you suggested maybe only the best are worth fighting there, and then face the best at 126. Frankly, if he beat Rigandeaux and then Gamboa, we'd be watching something special, like once every twenty years special.
    I think you rate Rigandeaux much more highly than I do then. I should watch more of his fights, maybe. But as it stands, I'd be just as happy if he went straight to Gamboa. For the record, I'd pick Donaire in both of those fights. I also don't think the Gamboa fight will ever happen, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm picking Donaire to pull of the win at this point in time, seeing how I think it's coming too soon for Vazquez Jr, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a Williams/Quintana I type situation, Donaire hasn't been hit by a guy his own size so lets see how he handles that

Thread Information