Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody want to see Mayweather - Cotto ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Does anybody want to see Mayweather - Cotto ?

It's kind of clear now that the Pacquiao fight is going to be happening any time soon, looking for both fighters to make a decision on who to fight next. I want to see Mayweather - Cotto, I think this is a much better fight than Mayweather - Ortiz. I am getting excited about this fight, I think Cotto brings a lot to the table and out of a lot of fighters he has a better chance than many against Mayweather. Will he win? No I dont think so, however out of any fight apart from Pacquiao and maybe Martinez at 154 not 150 I want this fight. It should have happened years ago really but for whatever reason it didn't...but it can now.

Cotto said this about this Pacquiao showdown: Cotto: I Will Not Sacrifice My Body Again For Pacquiao! - Boxing News

I would not be happy if the Pacquaio showdown happened again, I believe cotto lost fair and square and he should keep clear of Pacquiao, especially if he wants it above 147 clearly out of Cotto's comfort zone. Pacquiao should face Bradley IMO, I feel Bradley he deserved a shot at Pacquiao now and hes the best fighter available for him to fight.

Mayweather - Cotto I think will be a great fight with two of the best fighters around today. Both have good support and I think it would create a great atmosphere for the fight. I hope it comes through, as I wont be as annoyed about the complete bullshit of Mayweather - Pacquiao.

El Kabong Guest

Yes, I would love to see Cotto-Mayweather its long overdue!

#1 If Pac wants a rematch vs Cotto he needs to get to 154 to fight him.

#2 Win or lose vs Mayweather it shows Cotto's warrior heart.

I give Floyd full credit for choosing to fight Cotto or Canelo...if the Pac fight doesn't happen then those are quality fights to make in its place.

Cotto is a warrior and he'll give Floyd a fight!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Does anybody want to see Mayweather - Cotto ?

I agree with the above

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

I give Floyd full credit for choosing to fight Cotto or Canelo...if the Pac fight doesn't happen then those are quality fights to make in its place.

Yes I agree with what you are saying. I don't think Canelo is deserving or ready for Mayweather showdown yet. He is too young IMO
    And needs to improve his record and improve as a fighter himself. He has the potential to do that though no doubt. Cotto deserves this fight I feel and this fight has been talked about for years. I am very excited for it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post

Yes I agree with what you are saying. I don't think Canelo is deserving or ready for Mayweather showdown yet. He is too young IMO
    And needs to improve his record and improve as a fighter himself. He has the potential to do that though no doubt. Cotto deserves this fight I feel and this fight has been talked about for years. I am very excited for it.
    It needs to be pointed out that Floyd is doing what he berated Pacqiao for doing (which was a false assertion in the first place) in fighting guys Pacquiao has already beat, but in any event, Cotto is a good choice outside of Sergio at 154 or Pacquiao. He's a better choice than Canelo at this stage. If Floyd fights Cotto at 154, he should fight Sergio at 154. Sergio at 154 is a tougher option than Pacquiao at 147 in my opinion.

There was never any doubt in my mind that Cotto is a warrior.

El Kabong Guest

Cotto didn't have a trainer and it was at a catchweight....odds were kind of stacked against Miguel in that Pacquiao fight. I'm not Mayweather fan, but Pac looks kind of weak right now especially after the 3rd super close fight vs JMM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto-Floyd is much better than Cotto-Pacquiao. At least it's something that we haven't seen before. Of course I'm still hoping for the fight that we really all would like to see. There's actually still time.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Weight def does make a big difference.
    Oscar fought pac at 147.
    Wonder what it would have been like at 154?
    Cotto fought pac at a weight drained catchweight of 145.
    Wonder what it would have been like at natural weight?
    I like cotto. But i wouldnt want to see him loose against mayweather and would rather floyd fight pac or someone else.
    A young undefeated canelo?
    Cotto should stay at 154 for the rest of his career.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After Pacquiao and Martinez, Cotto is the best fight out there for Floyd even though I think Floyd beats him. It's years too late but I'd like to see Cotto in there and make a nice big payday.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looking forward to this Cotto has skills, he will be in with a chance in the 1st half of the fight but once Floyds superior fitness and skills take hold, Cotto looses by wide UD, I will be pulling for Cotto.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Duke View Post
    Looking forward to this Cotto has skills, he will be in with a chance in the 1st half of the fight but once Floyds superior fitness and skills take hold, Cotto looses by wide UD, I will be pulling for Cotto.
    Cotto is still good with timing....this would be one of Floyd's most dangerous fights. If Cotto hurts Floyd the way Mosley did, then with that balanced head & body attack Money May could be in HUGE trouble

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

It needs to be pointed out that Floyd is doing what he berated Pacqiao for doing (which was a false assertion in the first place) in fighting guys Pacquiao has already beat
    Except he can use the "get out of jail free" card (see what I did there? ) where he will be fighting (hopefully) Cotto at his natural weight instead of draining him.

This is a good fight - I wanted this a while ago. I think it still has some of it's luster as Cotto looked great against Marg. Best fight for Floyd if he doesn't get Pac or Martinez. I've never seen Cotto winning this fight but I hope it is competitive as Cotto is a smart boxer who certainly knows his way around a ring.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post

It needs to be pointed out that Floyd is doing what he berated Pacqiao for doing (which was a false assertion in the first place) in fighting guys Pacquiao has already beat, but in any event, Cotto is a good choice outside of Sergio at 154 or Pacquiao. He's a better choice than Canelo at this stage. If Floyd fights Cotto at 154, he should fight Sergio at 154. Sergio at 154 is a tougher option than Pacquiao at 147 in my opinion.

There was never any doubt in my mind that Cotto is a warrior.
    Agree with all of this. If he's going to fight at 154 it should be with Martinez.

Cotto is the (distant) third-best option though.

Floyd himself has already characterized Cotto as "Pacquiao's leftovers" btw. Though fighting him at 154 rather than 145 would give him some high ground to stand on w/r/t that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm one fight fan who doesn't want to see Pac V Marquez again! So Mayweather V Pac or Mayweather V Cotto interests me more. I am surprised the Cotto fight hasn't happened in the past 2 or 3 years. Cotto has only lost once (legitimately) he deserves a fight against Mayweather. It's got to happen this year or never as time is running out for all of these guys. Cotto could give Mayweather trouble, but when you analyze it all with clarity we all must remember that Floyd Mayweather is quite possibly the best defensive fighter of all time. How does Cotto hit him enough to win?

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    I'm one fight fan who doesn't want to see Pac V Marquez again! So Mayweather V Pac or Mayweather V Cotto interests me more. I am surprised the Cotto fight hasn't happened in the past 2 or 3 years. Cotto has only lost once (legitimately) he deserves a fight against Mayweather. It's got to happen this year or never as time is running out for all of these guys. Cotto could give Mayweather trouble, but when you analyze it all with clarity we all must remember that Floyd Mayweather is quite possibly the best defensive fighter of all time. How does Cotto hit him enough to win?
    Well #1 The jab is KEY, De la Hoya had success with the jab and lost a close fight. #2 Cotto can switch from orthodox to southpaw and is very adaptable. Floyd does have good defense, and he will continue to use his questionable tactics, the elbows, forearms, etc but Cotto is a rugged fighter too. He's not going to make a rookie mistake like Victor Ortiz.

Thread Information