Thread: Paul Williams vs. Nobuhiro Ishida - Saturday night fight thread

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Paul Williams vs. Nobuhiro Ishida on Showtime Saturday - Feb. 18th

I like Williams over Ishida. I think he'll outwork him over the distance.

In the other fight, I wouldn't sleep on Campillo. He has a style that "could" cause some trouble for Cloud. I still like Tavoris to come away with the W...but Campillo is a live dog IMO.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan View Post

In the other fight, I wouldn't sleep on Campillo. He has a style that "could" cause some trouble for Cloud. I still like Tavoris to come away with the W...but Campillo is a live dog IMO.
    Campillo is a Spanish pug, (actually from Spain) other than winning the WBA Light Heavyweight Title from Beibut Shumenov, (and then losing it to the same guy) his record isn't too remarkable. Campillo lacks power, only 8 KO's in 26 Pro fights, which isn't a good thing against a guy like Cloud. Hopefully however, we'll get to see a competitive fight, although I wouldn't mind seeing Tavoris make a statement and flatten this dude.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan View Post

Campillo is a Spanish pug, (actually from Spain) other than winning the WBA Light Heavyweight Title from Beibut Shumenov, (and then losing it to the same guy) his record isn't too remarkable. Campillo lacks power, only 8 KO's in 26 Pro fights, which isn't a good thing against a guy like Cloud. Hopefully however, we'll get to see a competitive fight, although I wouldn't mind seeing Tavoris make a statement and flatten this dude.
    It should be mentioned that Campillo was robbed against Shumenov in that second fight and robbed in the draw against Murat. His record isn't too remarkable, but either is Cloud's really. This is a good test for Cloud. At least it's as good of a test as anyone on his record besides maybe Glen Johnson. If Cloud smashes through Campillo, he solidifies himself as the wrecking ball in the division.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 02-14-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Williams is trying to take the backdoor and convince everyone he's back in devistating fashion here, thinking Ishida is hitting him with nerd ball punches. With his limited exposure and considering how Kirkland has rebounded to drive a truck over undefeated Angulo it's really a semi everything to lose, very little reward for him. Is it a title elimination fight Even if it goes rounds which I think it will Williams catches shots ugly and often now. I'm picking Ishida to beat him.

lol.. Yea, I dont think Williams is taking a big chance here cuz I dont see Ishida as any kind of threat..

Lightning won't strike twice for the sushiboy and he's going to get wrecked.

Williams needs a real fight..

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bump... this card starts @ 10:00 PM ET here in North America on Showtime Saturday, so that means 3:00 or 4:00 AM across the pond.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Williams is trying to take the backdoor and convince everyone he's back in devistating fashion here, thinking Ishida is hitting him with nerd ball punches. With his limited exposure and considering how Kirkland has rebounded to drive a truck over undefeated Angulo it's really a semi everything to lose, very little reward for him. Is it a title elimination fight Even if it goes rounds which I think it will Williams catches shots ugly and often now. I'm picking Ishida to beat him.

lol.. Yea, I dont think Williams is taking a big chance here cuz I dont see Ishida as any kind of threat..

Lightning won't strike twice for the sushiboy and he's going to get wrecked.

Williams needs a real fight..
    This is the right kind of fight for Williams. His confidence has no doubt been jolted and he needs a decent win. I think he will get it, but I really feel this is the right kind of opponent at this stage.

I like Williams a lot, but his recent fights have seen him become unraveled. He just needs to get a win and see how he feels.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Williams will destroy this guy. A couple of losses doesn't take away how people wouldn't even fight the guy yesterday, just like one win doesn't make ishida crap. Ishida will get sparked quick
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    Williams will destroy this guy. A couple of losses doesn't take away how people wouldn't even fight the guy yesterday, just like one win doesn't make ishida crap. Ishida will get sparked quick
    Normally i'd agree, but Williams has looked like shit in his last couple fights, so we shall see grasshopper.

El Kabong Guest

I want to see how Williams reacts to getting hit again...guys who get blasted out cold don't usually regain their ability to take a punch.

Tavoris Cloud will smash through this Campillo dude...Cloud will press the action, land the harder cleaner shots, and eventually he'll stop him. After this fight Cloud-Pascal or Cloud-Dawson/Hopkins needs to happen! The only guy I see that could give Cloud big issues is Ismial Syllakh who is a very quality fighter and will get his chance at some belts soon as well.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never was a fan of Williams. I think he was overhyped because of his size in the division, and his ability to throw a lot of punches. With that said, I think this is an easy fight for him. Ishida was in the right place at the right time to beat an out of shape Kirkland, and I don't see him winning.

As a reminder to those of you who are watching the fights on Showtime. The main card with Williams/Ishida & Cloud/Campillo fights are on regular Showtime, and the network is starting something new by showing some of the other undercard fights on Showtime Extreme. So the Arreola/Molina fight, and another fight will be on Showtime Extreme starting at 8:00 ET.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I want to see how Williams reacts to getting hit again...guys who get blasted out cold don't usually regain their ability to take a punch.

Tavoris Cloud will smash through this Campillo dude...Cloud will press the action, land the harder cleaner shots, and eventually he'll stop him. After this fight Cloud-Pascal or Cloud-Dawson/Hopkins needs to happen! The only guy I see that could give Cloud big issues is Ismial Syllakh who is a very quality fighter and will get his chance at some belts soon as well.
    Eh, I think Dawson and Hopkins both beat Cloud by pretty wide scores. Cloud/Pascal would be a very good fight though.

I can't root for Williams after his constant "what has Lara done to 'earn' a rematch with me?" crap. I'm not terribly interested in this fight but I'm glad to see Ishida get some reward for the Kirkland result, fluke though it may be.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    Normally i'd agree, but Williams has looked like shit in his last couple fights, so we shall see grasshopper.
    Let's be fair, the guy was knocked out by Sergio Martinez, and in his next fight, took on a tough competitor in Erislandy Lara. Lara may be the most avoided guy in that division right now. Also, it wasn't like the fight with Lara wasn't a fun fight to watch. Frankly, when has Williams not been in an entertaining fight?

With regard to Cloud, I believe he can be outboxed. On that note, Campillo can box. The problem is that Campillo has negative power. With his lack of power, will Campillo be able to keep Cloud off of him for a full fight? I actually thought Mack did a decent job for the first few rounds, outboxing Cloud, and keep the fight at a distance, but Cloud's relentless pressure, and power punching, eventually took over. I predict the same sort of thing on Saturday. It's a good fight, however.

How good is the guy Cris Arreola is facing, Eric Molina?

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    Eh, I think Dawson and Hopkins both beat Cloud by pretty wide scores. Cloud/Pascal would be a very good fight though.
    I'm not so certain Cloud would get beaten badly by Dawson or Hopkins. #1 Bernard is always getting older and a Prime pressure fighter that has solid power in both hands could make him age quickly #2 Dawson lacks a killer instinct and routinely gives up any kind of height and reach advantage...it hasn't caught up with him too much yet, but it will.

Cloud is a hard worker and just a strong fella....I think he'll do extremely well given the state of this division......providing he can land a big fight

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Ishida is being seriously slept on here, on the same scale that people think that the damage and drain done to Williams will just vanish against a capable guy who know what it's like to be brought in as a soft touch and not freeze after being rushed and I think Williams has seriously slipped, his heart is stedfast but he gets hit clean at a ugly rate. All things considered this is a good crossroads match and while you gotta be careful not to root for the underdog for the sake of doing so, I will not be shocked at all to see Ishida pepper the hell out of a one step behind Williams for that 12 round win.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 02-17-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bump... this card starts @ 10:00 PM ET here in North America on Showtime Saturday, so that means 3:00 or 4:00 AM across the pond.

This card starts in a little less than 3 hours.

Thread Information