Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Rios vs Gamboa

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: No Rios vs Gamboa

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Broken record here but I'm not all busted up if this doesn't happen. Gamboa is not a lightweight, neither is Rios for that matter.
    Very true! The more I thought about it talent or no, Gamboa would be in serious danger vs Rios. Imagine the type of power Gamboa would have to use to hold Rios back much less stop him.

I think Gamboa takes a smaller fight then fights the winner of Salido-JuanMa II

Rios on the other hand will be hard pressed to find anyone for a big fight without moving up. I would love to see him fight Robert Guerrero, I think that's a good style matchup. I think JMM would be a solid fight for Rios, but JMM may want something bigger.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think if this fight is definatley not happening then Rios should just forget 135 and move up to 140. I feel a bit sorry for Rios having to travel so far for a press conference for a fight that Gamboa claims he never signed the contract for. That would be very frustrating for Rios but I think he should get over it and move on. There is a lot more opportunity for him to if he moves up now.

I think it was a bit disrespectful to Murray on Rios' behalf to not make 135 and then for Rios to fight at 135 again against Gamboa anyway. I read how he justifyed how he would make the weight for Gamboa and that is fair enough as beating a p4p fighter like Gamboa is worth sticking around at 135 for. Now that the fight isn't happening he should move up if he has had weight issues and focus on becoming a solid 140 fighter.

With Rios not making the weight at 135 I dont see how fighting DeMarco is a good move for his career. He should start pushing for titles at 140 now and move on from not getting the fight. Its a shame because Gamboa-Rios would have been a good fight, but this happens in boxing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abelardus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    Neither fighter had any business fighting at LW anyway, but I was looking forward to a weight drained Rios taking a beating.

Ditto.
    Why doesn't gamboa?
    His last fight was at 126 and jumping 2 weight divisions to 135 doesn't seem smart to me.
    Oh ok. I agree with that, I thought you had some other reason.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gamboa is a girl. If you're going to pull out of a fight, you shouldn't wait until you're supposed to be at a press conference a month before the fight.

Gamboa has lost himself a fan.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim the BoxingManiac View Post
    Gamboa is a girl. If you're going to pull out of a fight, you shouldn't wait until you're supposed to be at a press conference a month before the fight.

I'm sure he's crying himself to sleep

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post

He probably is. My opinion matters to everybody, that's how important I am.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post

He probably is. My opinion matters to everybody, that's how important I am.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Broken record here but I'm not all busted up if this doesn't happen. Gamboa is not a lightweight, neither is Rios for that matter.
    Very true! The more I thought about it talent or no, Gamboa would be in serious danger vs Rios. Imagine the type of power Gamboa would have to use to hold Rios back much less stop him.

Rios on the other hand will be hard pressed to find anyone for a big fight without moving up. I would love to see him fight Robert Guerrero, I think that's a good style matchup. I think JMM would be a solid fight for Rios, but JMM may want something bigger.
    I think your right on Gamboa. To me he's the one with options here. Even if he struggles with weight he can go up one first. I think this has been Rios clamoring for a 'name' grab all along. Guerrero is moving up vs a dangerous undefeated Aybin for a 140 trinket next out. I don't get why Rios and camp are hesitating to do the obvious. His body isn't waiting around and with the way he gives his face up and sponges shots he's playing with fire by coming in drained and half steam at 135.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think your right on Gamboa. To me he's the one with options here. Even if he struggles with weight he can go up one first. I think this has been Rios clamoring for a 'name' grab all along. Guerrero is moving up vs a dangerous undefeated Aybin for a 140 trinket next out. I don't get why Rios and camp are hesitating to do the obvious. His body isn't waiting around and with the way he gives his face up and sponges shots he's playing with fire by coming in drained and half steam at 135.
    I've said all along that this fight at 135 made no sense to me (as much as I would have loved to watch Gamboa punch Rios in the face).

Agreed that if 126 is starting to be a problem for Gamboa (though clearly it's not as big a problem as 135 is for Rios), he can go to 130. Though honestly, the only fight I'd really like to see him in there is against Broner, who isn't actually ready.

The big fight I had previously been hoping for for Gamboa at 126 was Donaire but after Donaire's debut at 122 I think it's safe to assume that'll never happen.

I actually think Rios has more and better options (at 140). Guerrero, JMM or Maidana at 140 are all good and pretty big fights (though the latter is slightly less exciting after his stinker against Alexander).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post

I've said all along that this fight at 135 made no sense to me (as much as I would have loved to watch Gamboa punch Rios in the face).

Agreed that if 126 is starting to be a problem for Gamboa (though clearly it's not as big a problem as 135 is for Rios), he can go to 130. Though honestly, the only fight I'd really like to see him in there is against Broner, who isn't actually ready.

The big fight I had previously been hoping for for Gamboa at 126 was Donaire but after Donaire's debut at 122 I think it's safe to assume that'll never happen.

I actually think Rios has more and better options (at 140). Guerrero, JMM or Maidana at 140 are all good and pretty big fights (though the latter is slightly less exciting after his stinker against Alexander).
    Right.

I always wanted to see Gamboa versus Chris John for featherweight supremacy. Donaire clearly needs to grow into 122, and to be honest, his opponent selection following the Vasquez performance appears shoddy.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post

Guerrero would be a nice go and theres no reason Rios could not follow him up. He just needs to piss or get off the pot. I think Rios needs to stake his claim before imo he merits a JMM go, but thats just me. Marquez might have a couple of big bouts left in him. Gamboa just needs to be smart about it, its clear both are rising at same time so they'll stay a division or two apart. "If" Gamboas off I think Rios will meltdown and meet the dude (??) who interupted his presser for 'vacant' WBA belt. Who knows now.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    It was too good to be true. Gamboa is super talented to fight at lightweight, Rios has said he can make the weight if motivated, so this would either be a good fight or a serious mismatch of the kind Terry Norris v Meldrick Taylor provided a number of years ago.
    Good comparison. I just recently watched that fight too.

But are either of them yet as good as Taylor and Norris were ?

I think Gamboa's talent is closer to Taylor's was than Rios is to Norris.

Idk I just don't like Rios. He's a bully and a thug.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

my only gripe is why did gamboa wait this long to come out with this statement, this fight was brewing for some time now. With this I'm starting lean towards Rios.
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlik View Post
    my only gripe is why did gamboa wait this long to come out with this statement, this fight was brewing for some time now. With this I'm starting lean towards Rios.
    Gamboa pulled one on a lot of people. He let the talks continue and the chatter go around. He saw how Timothy Bradley played his cards, and he got what he wanted. If the money was right he would fight, but I would say he would make the LEAST amount of money for a champion jumping two weight divisions in history.

I do not think that Rois would make the weight anyway. Almost guaranteed he comes in over. This is what he gets for training with Margarito, being a douchebag, and acting like a thug.

But again, any publicity is publicity. Look what Margarito did with his career. He is the whipping post
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    It was too good to be true. Gamboa is super talented to fight at lightweight, Rios has said he can make the weight if motivated, so this would either be a good fight or a serious mismatch of the kind Terry Norris v Meldrick Taylor provided a number of years ago.
    Good comparison. I just recently watched that fight too.

But are either of them yet as good as Taylor and Norris were ?

I think Gamboa's talent is closer to Taylor's was than Rios is to Norris.

Idk I just don't like Rios. He's a bully and a thug.

My dogs talent is closer to Floyd Mayweather's than Rios's is to Norris. I think Gamboa would have whipped ass, shame this is off!

Thread Information