Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Abner Mares

I've seen a couple of his fights he is a good puncher and all but I keep hearing from people about repeated low bows and hitting on the back. It seems as if he is a dirty fighter but at the same time it seems like the shots could have been results of his head being pulled down or he was just getting too wild and sloppy. What do you guys think?
    “Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it.”
    - George Foreman

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Abner Mares

Quote Originally Posted by Maravilla2012 View Post
    I've seen a couple of his fights he is a good puncher and all but I keep hearing from people about repeated low bows and hitting on the back. It seems as if he is a dirty fighter but at the same time it seems like the shots could have been results of his head being pulled down or he was just getting too wild and sloppy. What do you guys think?
    He does go low from time to time, especially in the 1st fight with Agbeko, but I wouldn't call Mares a dirty fighter, more of a balls to the wall warrior, he reminds me a bit of Roberto Duran.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mares punches with reckless abandon. He comes in low and looks to rip through you like a buzzsaw. The reaction of most boxers when he closes the distance fast will be to pull the head down. It puts him off balance and takes power off his punches.

I think whether he goes to the cup deliberately or by accident, depends on how he wants to take advantage of it. He's got a ready made excuse whenever he decides to go there. I'm not saying he's milking it, but its entirely possible that he could. You have someone stifling your offense by pulling your head down and a perfect excuse to go low... If you look at someone like tyson.. or even that kid Orozco (impressive) that fought on the mares undercard. They bend at the legs and coil their bodies for punching. Pushing through at the legs and looking to drive power from the ground up. Mares is a little more linear horizontally in his approach and looks to sweep across the middle. Its easy for a guy to pull the head down, when you're already down there and not springing upward. A quick way to keep a guy from doing that is to go low... it takes a lot out of a guy. Mares hasn't done it with all his opponents, but I think if he gets pulled down he'll go there to make the other guy pay for it. I think a fighter of equal or taller height, that came to war will at least catch one or two to the cup. Beneficial? yup. Excused? apparently.. Deliberate? you be the judge.

I like Mares' fire, but there's a fine line between being a buzzsaw and gaining a victor ortiz like reputation for fouling. So in regards to the question of him being a dirty fighter... the answer is much the same as it is for many other fighters... They're dirty for as long as they're allowed to get away with it... It's only an accident when someone notices.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think he is dirty but is always walking the line. I think if you throw as many body punches as he does you are bound to have a couple punches a fight that can be low. I'm just suprised that he never seems to be warned about them. So if you are not getting any warnings then keep throwing them.

Thread Information