Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson in this era

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Nice quote - Steward was talking about Lewis though not Wlad.

"I'm one of Mike Tyson's biggest fans, he's given me so many thrills, he is the most exciting heavyweight in the last 50 years" - Emanuel Steward, Hall of Fame Trainer, 2002

When Wach hit Wlad he almost did that thing he did against Peter - run around the ring looking for places to dive on the floor.
    He was talking about Mike Tyson actually.

"But he also fought guys who were scared to death of him. When he faced a guy who wasn't afraid, he had problems like he did with Mitch Green, Tony Tucker, Bonecrusher Smith and Quick Tillis. Mike WAS in his prime when he fought them and they weren't legendary names either… they just weren't afraid of him."

(Emmanuel Steward, HOF trainer)

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Green was never stopped in his entire career and Tucker suffered his first KO defeat 10 years after the Tyson fight. They both had rock solid chins, spoiled and were slaughtered on the cards.
    Well, I mean besides Tyson who did Green fight that you'd expect to stop him? He only ever really fought Tyson and Berbick.

And what about James Tillis? Stopped 11 times in his career (3 times before Tyson including a 1-round beating from Tim Witherspoon).

Bonecrusher was stopped 7 times, twice before the Tyson fight including one to Larry Holmes, who hardly fits the discription of a KO artist. Then starched by Ruddock 2 years later.

And of course we can mention Razor, gave Mike fits (the first fight was a terrible early stoppage) and shortly after their fights he was DESTROYED by Lewis and taken out by The Duke of all people.
    Just like you said -

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    2. Bringing up the Sanders fight is rediculous because, as anyone can plainly see, that was 10 years ago and Wlad has improved 10-fold since then. You have to compare best at best.
    If you want to paint a picture of Tyson struggling with guys of a particular stature, you have to accept Wlad has stuggled when his head got cracked by fast handed punchers (well even slow handed plodders have knocked him down. Lets be honest). Best at best?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE PHILOSOPHER View Post

"I'm one of Mike Tyson's biggest fans, he's given me so many thrills, he is the most exciting heavyweight in the last 50 years" - Emanuel Steward, Hall of Fame Trainer, 2002

When Wach hit Wlad he almost did that thing he did against Peter - run around the ring looking for places to dive on the floor.

"But he also fought guys who were scared to death of him. When he faced a guy who wasn't afraid, he had problems like he did with Mitch Green, Tony Tucker, Bonecrusher Smith and Quick Tillis. Mike WAS in his prime when he fought them and they weren't legendary names either… they just weren't afraid of him."

He was talking about Tyson in relation to Lewis. And the size advantage Tyson has suffered from, right?

Steward makes a far more significant point in that 2nd quote - "guys that weren't afraid of Tyson" - it's hard to see Wlad, who was diving all over the shop to get away from Sam Plodder Peter, wouldn't have froze against Tyson's onslaught?

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The world would be so excited and in particular the US.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Price would muller him. Price could Knock out Zeus.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE PHILOSOPHER View Post

He was talking about Tyson in relation to Lewis. And the size advantage Tyson has suffered from, right?

Steward makes a far more significant point in that 2nd quote - "guys that weren't afraid of Tyson" - it's hard to see Wlad, who was diving all over the shop to get away from Sam Plodder Peter, wouldn't have froze against Tyson's onslaught?
    Have you ever seen him afraid? Mind you I'm not saying he's not a cautious guy but have you ever seen Wlad afraid? Also if a boxer is hurt it is a damn good strategy to hold on to clear your head. I recall Ismayl Sillakh being far ahead on points last year on FNF just to get a TKO loss because the fool didn't clinch.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not calling Wlad a coward or anything, but he does get flustered when he's put under pressure, there are numerous examples of this throughout his entire career, from his knockout losses, to jumping on the floor to stop Sam Peter getting close to him and even in his last fight against Wach.

Wlad's composure and confidence has been knocked out of shape by far lesser violent explosive fighters than Tyson. That's all i'm saying.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would say Wlad and Tyson might be a toss up for me now because they both have something in common, which is getting beat by people they should of crushed. I will say this though at least Wald made improvements and went on to win. Tyson just got his ass beat and went out sitting on the canvas not even wanting to get up. I still rate Tyson on the lower part of the top ten though behind people like Holyfeild and Lennox and of course the greatest. As for Wald i would not rank him till he is retired its always a better idea i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No ATG heavyweight in history is criticized as much as Mike

Dominating a guy for the distance and winning a wide UD is considered a "subpar" performance by him ... completely ridiculous criteria ... I don't see anyone else being held to such standards besides Mike.

Most people see Tyson getting decisions over guys like Green or Smith and they automatically assume that they gave him "trouble" ... yet Mike dominated all of these guys, with the exceptions of Tillis and maybe Tucker. Green and Smith just held on for dear life and only survived because they were able to frustrate Mike by tangling him up and not letting him get his shots off clean. This is not a boxing tactic or strategy, its simply survival mode.

Why couldn't Waldo KO Haye when he had a weak chin He didn't even hold like Green or Smith. The reason is because he was looking to survive with Wlad ... he even took 2 or 3 rounds from him and made him look foolish at times by dodging 3 and 4 punch combos from that stiff robot.

Tyson would've gotten that version of Haye out of there in a single round, brutally.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Tyson bomb your reaching with the Wald Haye fight dude. As for Tyson being criticized he is also overrated by far more people. Saying that he was a great champ but he does not have a resume same as Wald. That's why i rated someone like Foreman or Holyfeild higher they have wins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Hey Tyson bomb your reaching with the Wald Haye fight dude. As for Tyson being criticized he is also overrated by far more people. Saying that he was a great champ but he does not have a resume same as Wald. That's why i rated someone like Foreman or Holyfeild higher they have wins.

Tyson doesn't KO Mitch Green so he "fails" even though he won the fight EASILY.

Wlad didn't KO Haye but won via decision but is still a huge success and exposed Haye, despite failing to achieve his promised 50th KO.

Nope no double standard at all.

And Wlad's resume is GARBAGE. Tyson's amateur resume is better.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

God i know you love Tyson but his best win is a 38 year old Holmes who had not fought for 2 years. I not saying Wald is any better there pretty close in resume. I am a Holyfeild fan so it is not like i care who's better don't have a bias towards anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

God i know you love Tyson but his best win is a 38 year old Holmes who had not fought for 2 years. I not saying Wald is any better there pretty close in resume. I am a Holyfeild fan so it is not like i care who's better don't have a bias towards anyone.
    I've already gone over Wlad's best wins. They are nothing special. Unless you consider cruisers, hepatitis patients, and washed up geriatrics top tier wins.

And who mentioned Holmes and who cares about him? Tyson was the best fighter he ever fought while it can be argued that Tyson fought a couple of guys better than Holmes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your pretty bias so it be hard to take what you say to seriously. Who is better then Holmes i would love to hear it because that is pretty much his best win. As for Wlad i say Chag, Haye and Bryde are not to far off from everyone that is not Holmes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your pretty bias so it be hard to take what you say to seriously. Who is better then Holmes i would love to hear it because that pretty much his best win. As for Wlad i say Chag, Haye and Bryde are not to far off.
    Chagaev had hepatitis, like I mentioned before.

And how am I biased?

His wins against Ruddock were better than the Holmes win ... Holmes was still a very good win though, definitely in his top 5.

Holmes didn't fight anyone during his reign either ... he beat an old Norton, big deal. Tyson was his best opponent by far and he was crushed.

Thread Information