Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Adrien Broner, the fighter that boxing fans hate to love

I don't want to like this guy. He seems to have a Mayweatheresque attitude outside the ring, during press conferences etc...in short, he's a prick. I don't like to see pricks do very well. But there's a major difference between him and money...like the commentators said when Broner destroyed Rees, Mayweather fights to survive, Broner fights to destroy you. As big a prick as this guy is, i can't help but be extremely impressed with this combination of speed, power, and attitude. Almost like Ali or Roy Jones Jr (before he decided to start ruining his legacy). So in short, I don't like this guy on a personal level right now, but i cant help but pull for the guy. I just hope that when someone pops up that can challenge him, he doesn't take off on the 5 year "May-from-Pac" sprint. But we'll all see that in due time.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Adrien Broner, the fighter that boxing fans hate to love

Broner has the goods, no doubt. With that kind of cocky, obnoxious attitude, he's always going to be a polarizing figure. I think he comes off incredibly douchey, but I'm glad for him because boxing NEEDS guys like this, who are going to generate interest and $$$ for the sport.

Should be said though, when Floyd was Broner's age, he was looked at as an aggressive boxer-puncher with serious finishing ability, not unlike Broner, and had a similar KO ratio. Broner is no doubt a bigger p4p puncher than Floyd ever was though. Broner hits like Shane Mosley used to IMO.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The attitude/image he's projecting is just to create brand awareness. People are talking about him and he could care less whether they love him or hate him. I don't think his career willb e handled any less carefully than Floyd's was. I don't think he'll be fighting Matthysse when he moves up to 140 for instance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fact is he bashes up hard hitters!
    Stops guys that are durable!

Even though he makes glen Johnson noises when he punches, he is ok but his willingness to get into the odd scrap could be his future downfall

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's just to big for guys at 135, Broner will have more power than Floyd when he gets to 147. Broner will have better fights than Floyd but you can't blame Floyd for not taking hits it's why he could fight 3 more years.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Someone needs to remind Jim Lampley and his cheerleaders that when Broner was being billed a "destroyer" against a 81-1 underdog and losing rounds, Mayweather in his 26th fight was annihilating one Diego Corrales.

People don't 'hate' Broner they hate the fact that hes being prematurley annointed in the same mention as proven greats and Champions. Fact is, hes absolutley nothing like Floyd in the ring and even his 'look at me I'm a bad guy' act is forced. "He was tough as a steak".. He can't even get the punchline right. Its a $2 steak Adrien. His act is so transparent that it doesn't come of as real. Haymon needs to get a new writer.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The whole point of boxing is to hit and not get hit...pretty much the same in any contact sport.

Floyd does this very well.

Broner hits hard but theres no way of knowing whether it was harder than floyd or not as they faced different opponents.

With broner the new face of HBO and floyd leading SHOWTIME boxing is very much where it needs to be.

3-4 years and floyd will retire and hopefully the changeover goes smoothly as no one has figured out a way to beat these two..and no one will..especially floyd..too much skills.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Someone needs to remind Jim Lampley and his cheerleaders that when Broner was being billed a "destroyer" against a 81-1 underdog and losing rounds, Mayweather in his 26th fight was annihilating one Diego Corrales.

People don't 'hate' Broner they hate the fact that hes being prematurley annointed in the same mention as proven greats and Champions. Fact is, hes absolutley nothing like Floyd in the ring and even his 'look at me I'm a bad guy' act is forced. "He was tough as a steak".. He can't even get the punchline right. Its a $2 steak Adrien. His act is so transparent that it doesn't come of as real. Haymon needs to get a new writer.
    I agree on the premature part.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope his next shit is a hedgehog.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    The attitude/image he's projecting is just to create brand awareness. People are talking about him and he could care less whether they love him or hate him. I don't think his career willb e handled any less carefully than Floyd's was. I don't think he'll be fighting Matthysse when he moves up to 140 for instance.
    I think you are wrong sir, Broner is too smart to be unaware of the effect his words and actions have on the fans. He wants some fans to love him and some fans to hate him, so he does care.
    There is no way Broner would say anything to alienate the black community (fans), lso he does care.
    I think he is as talented as anyone we have seen, so I don't get too excited about what he says as long as he keeps his sideshow out of the ring.
    He's a Jack Johnson, Muhammad Ali, Floyd Mayweather wannabe, with a shit load of talent.
    We have to put up with his malarkey to see him fight, it's all part of bring a boxing fan.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sooner or later this chump will have to move up to 140, and face pugs like Rios, D. Garcia, and Lucas Matthysse, I can't wait to see this clown destroyed.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Max Baer
    Jack Johnson
    Ray Robinson
    Ali
    Leonard
    Mayweather
    Hopkins

Were/are all despised by a large segment of boxing fans and just as many fans tuned in with the hopes they would lose as win. The fact that Broner already brings out the reaction he does sits very well for him economically.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

Sooner or later this chump will have to move up to 140, and face pugs like Rios, D. Garcia, and Lucas Matthysse, I can't wait to see this clown destroyed.
    I wish he would move up. I think it will suit him better and if Matthysse hits him like Rees did he'd be spooning apple sauce and having his chin whiped by a nurse. Honestly I dont want him destroyed so much as improve and prove his game before he works so hard at being a stooge and looking for reaction. Its a gimmick. That shit don't mean a thing. Call me insane...I dont see that hes really all that great up to now The gap between promise and proof is easily filled with the carcasses of rushed 'next best things' before him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HBO/media are trying desperately, along with Broner himself, to sell the "new Mayweather." Problem is...Floyd is still very relevant. So a bad imitation comes across as just that...a bad imitation. Also, while Floyd was brash even in his younger days.....he primarily let his fighting do the talking in those days. At at their respective ages....Floyd was without question the better fighter. Better skill set, better opponents, etc. The fact that people are trying to say that Broner's defense is Floyd like is laughable. The fact that people are comparing him to Floyd in any way is laughable. Even his shit talking antics seem clownish and just plain cheesy compared to Floyd. Broner is getting tagged by B class fighters. Floyd was pitching shutouts against world class fighters like Gino Hernandez and Corralles at a similar age. Broner is getting away by fighting guys smaller than him (lets be real...this guy is already a full fledged welter weight) who also cannot match him physically. The guy is talented....but in no ways proven yet. His defense is incredibly overhyped (his wide stance leaves him prone to getting hit). Lets see how does against some real competition.

Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Broner is a bit like Stilton, it's strong it stinks and is an acquired taste
    that's Adrien Broner, is he mature or still a bit green.!

Thread Information