Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Questions and reflections from a beginner (Warning, LONG post).

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Questions and reflections from a beginner (Warning, LONG post).

Hello all,

I started to train boxing about 2 months ago, and just for the fun of it, I thought I'd write down my experience, some thoughts/impressions and questions. Maybe other people who are thinking about starting will find it motivating and enlightening, and of course, if someone could help me answer the questions I would be very happy. (for the questions, please skip ahead to the end)

First a bit of background. I'm having a delayed 30 years crisis and that is why I started. I'm actually closer to 31, but better a late 30-year crisis than none at all. As for sports I did train judo and taijutsu for 5 years up until I was 18, so I have some background in a martial arts. Then I had 12 years of inactivity which I blame on work and college (I know, shame on me). But now I'm finally doing something about it, so that's good!

So here starts the story.

I've been thinking about training boxing on and off for years, and seeing friends around me becoming fatter and fatter, I decided that I did not like that fate. So battling my prejudice about only tough killers going to boxing gyms, I finally decided to go to my first class. The result was that I almost died, because I couldn't breath at the end of the session. The result was almost the same for sessions 2 and 3, and then things started to improve a bit. Around class 8 I am still out of breath, but at least I don't feel like dying any more.

What can I say?

I discovered that pretty much all boxers, although some look pretty scary, are actually very nice and helpful people! =) If I ask about something, most people seem to be happy to show me how I should do it and give me a bit of advice.

As for the training, compared with my martial arts background, is much more informal and (misunderstand me correctly) less serious. With that I mean that people encourage each other and can have a laugh in an informal atmosphere, and the training I did a decade ago, was much more formal, and there was an almost awkward sense of respect. I also like that we train with music in the background as it helps with the energy. What was also a positive thing for me, was that we almost instantly started with some very light and controlled sparring. A decade ago judo did include sparring, but only after you learned the basics. I guess this varies depending on where you train, but I definitely enjoy and learn better, when I can try out what I learn on a live target.

Another difference was mobility. In one of my martial arts, you had almost 75% of your weight on your rear foot, and I didn't realize it, but it had become a habit. So during my boxing sesions, one frequent complaint from my trainer is that I am standing too much to one side. This makes it difficult to move to the left. After a couple of sessions I finally on and off, started to stand in a more square stance, and suddenly my mobility in all directions really improve. It sounds so obvious when you say it, but the power of habit is strong!

What also surprised me is that there is no skipping. Our training is basically punching the heavy bag, _very light_ sparring, calisthenics, some endurance exercises (arms, stomach and legs), and learning the punches, punching each others gloves. Maybe skipping will come later?

Another worry I had was being punched in the head. It's happened twice and I did have a slight head ache after it happened, but I think it is not as serious as I thought it was. The reason is that today, I also had a light head ache, and all we did was a very intense punching session. My theory, is that I tense my shoulders and neck muscles while punching, and this gives me a tension head ache. When I think back about when I was punched in the head, I think I felt it was worse, than it was, and therefore I quickly tensed my shoulders and neck when I got hit, and that's why I had a head ache. Let's see if it gets better as I learn to relax. That reminds me of when I was training Judo. If you fall and you don't relax and go with the flow, it will hurt more, than if you relax while someone throwing you.

Finally I had a brief talk with the coach about at least trying one real amateur bout in my life, and he seemed to think that it was an excellent idea, and that many people just train for the fitness aspect and never try to compete. According to him you learn a lot by trying at least once and it seemed like he would be happy to see me try. So after my basics are good, I think I'll discuss it with him to see how much time and training I would have to go through, before it would be safe for me to try.

So that's it. I'm happy I found the strength of will and battled my prejudice to go to the gym. After my first 8 classes, I'm having a lot of fun and I feel like I get a good workout as well. And all this at a fraction of the cost of a gym membership in the fancy gyms in town.

Now for the questions!

It seems to me, that one of the most important things to learn, is how to relax. How important is strength training? Based on my workouts, it seems like endurance is more important than pure strength. And also, that learning to move efficiently and in a relaxed way (to conserve energy) is of great importance. Do you have any advice on how to "save energy" when punching/moving around?

Punching, how much force/impact does better technique add to a punch, and how much does strength add? From a competition point of view, wouldn't it make sense to focus on technique instead of super hard punches, and let the hard punches come when they come?

When do I need hand wraps? I bought a pair of gloves, and except from two small bruises on my pinkie fingers which seems to be related to the gloves being new rather than hard punches, I haven't experienced any "damage" to my hands (yet) without wraps. I tape my pinkie fingers and it seems to work out for now.

We do no skipping. Is this a serious error in the beginning, or would you suggest that I add it in my spare time once I have the basics down?

Head aches? Are they common in the beginning when you "tense up" before receiving a punch? How can I train away the reflex of tensing up when a punch is flying at my face?

Thank you very much for reading, I hope you enjoyed the post. And for anyone who is considering starting boxing, I really recommend it. Try it atleast once! =)

Best regards,
    Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Questions and reflections from a beginner (Warning, LONG post).

With proper form will come proper power. The old adage that if having strength was all there is too it, then bodybuilders would all be great boxers is true. Not to mention the fact that if you get good at counter punching.... your opponent himself will make you twice as strong. Plus you said you used to study judo.... Then you should know that strength can only exist with resistance.... Without resistance, there can be no strength. Think about it.

Also from your judo lessons, you should know that (in my opinion) RELAXATION and BALANCE are the TWO SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT FUNCTIONS IN ANY MARTIAL ART.... INCLUDING THE MARTIAL AT OF BOXING. What is relaxation?... It is simply letting go. (I could type all night about that alone)

Stay relaxed and breathe. Continuously think about relaxing ALL THE TIME... At work, Shopping for groceries, When that fuckhead cuts you off in the left lane on your way to work, When your fuckhead coworker is being a douchebag...

RELAX and BREATHE. You can Practice ALL the TIME.

If you don't use hand wraps.... You WILL fuck up your hands.

Not a matter of if.... It's a matter of when. Especially when you begin to really develop some real POWER, which I seriously doubt you have yet. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking that particular question.

As far as skipping.... I recommend you et your conditioning from boxing. You're working on becoming a better boxer, not a rope skipper. Task specificity.

As far as training to take a hit.... some are born with super thick heads..... Others hopefully get used to it.

It's boxing.... You're gonna get hit. You'll learn to roll with the punches.

Take two aspirins and call the DR. in the morning.

Cheers bro!!!

Jake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for a great post Dan, its good to see how your getting on and your experiences. Keep up the good work.

My Gym is far more formal than yours in its approach to training. You warm up with 1 round skipping then immediately followed by 1 round of shadow boxing without a rest period. You do that warm up in rotation, until you are instructed to start circuit training. We don't have any rest between the warm up and circuit training. Then we move on to boxing, sometimes pad work or bag work, or both. Mixed in with some strenght and stamina exercises. We do have short water rests 30 secs or so. When the boxing starts. Sometimes we have music sometimes we don't. Then at the end we do warm down stretches.

Now to answer your questions.

How important is strength training?

Strenght training which is tailored to boxing is fine. But in the beginning it is not the be all and end all. It should supplement the rest of your training. You should do some. The only time strenght training should be taken very seriously is in the lead up to a contest, like your first compeditive bout.

Do you have any advice on how to "save energy" when punching/moving around?

Yes be intelligent about it. Only move around the ring when you have to. Don't be all hyper, relax. Try to control your sparring partner. With feinting,parrying, and fake openings. Basicly use your brain,personal strenghts, and skill to try and control the sparring sessions or contest. Out smart your oponent. Which isn't circling round the ring like a mad hatter.

Punching, how much force/impact does better technique add to a punch, and how much does strength add? From a competition point of view, wouldn't it make sense to focus on technique instead of super hard punches, and let the hard punches come when they come?

As Jacob said. Getting the right techniques, for the different punches and moving around the ring, is far more important than strenght. In fact beginners that try to use maximum strenght, usually do so at the expense of technique. Which actually leads to less power in the punches. So in short, technique is more important. Just practice the technique and over time, because of the good technique and regular practice in the gym, the strenght with come naturally. Don't try to force it.

When do I need hand wraps?
    On a heavy bag and in sparring, you should already be using handwraps. Without them, you are highly like to injure your hands. On the speedbag you don't need gloves or wraps. That just comes down to personal preference.

We do no skipping. Is this a serious error in the beginning, or would you suggest that I add it in my spare time once I have the basics down?

It is some what of an error, yes. Skipping is a great all body workout. You can get two types of skipping rope. Both of which I own. One is a speed rope, the other a weighted rope. You use both for different purposes. The reason skipping is important it improves coordination and stamina, and improves cardio fitness. Coordination and speed are two very important skills in boxing that is essential. Skipping is better than any other method.. for improving both. In the pro gym I go to. It is somewhat manditory...If you don't have a skipping rope, they will keep bringing it up. And when all the others are skipping, your be running on the spot fast...

Speed ropes, are all about speed. They are designed to work your cardio fitness to the max, they are the best rope for improving coordination because of their speed. It will take you a lot of practice to even have the coordination to be able to maximise the full potential out of a speed rope, to be able to work the speed rope at maximum speed. When you can do this, your coordination will be very good, and your cardio fitness will be great, your stamina will be through the roof. Your also have a far better boxers bounce...

Weighted ropes, are not about all out speed. Like most people seem to think they are. They are not just a weighted version of a speed rope. You should not even try to match the speed of a weighted rope with an speed rope. You should go fast and should aim to do so, but not as fast as an speed rope. The above in this paragraph, is a common misunderstanding in the modern age about weighted ropes. Weighted rope are designed more for conditioning. Building strenght and stamina in you wrist,arms,shoulders, upper back, and working your heart harder. They do also improve coordination and speed. But not to the same extent as speed ropes. Of course it helps develope boxers bounce.

In my opinion yes you should be skipping now. Especially if your not doing any form of road work. I do both.

Head aches? Are they common in the beginning when you "tense up" before receiving a punch? How can I train away the reflex of tensing up when a punch is flying at my face?

I personally have not experienced head aches, not when I tense up. If you are however experiencing head aches after taking a blow. Then you should go see a doctor to be on the safe side. But I don't tense up to often.

Hope this helps Dave.
    Muhammad Ali K.O by Henry Cooper in round 5 in 1963. Ali weighted 204 lbs to Henry Coopers 185.5 lb
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How is your coach not telling you to wear handwraps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank you very much for your answers Jake and Dave, I much appreciate it!

So skipping and hand wraps it is then. And above all else, focus on technique, relaxing and balance. =)

Best regards,
    Dan
    Last edited by h4890; 03-05-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpawed View Post
    How is your coach not telling you to wear handwraps.
    Hello, sorry maybe I wasn't clear. My coach hasn't told me anything really and I haven't asked since I haven't experienced any pain in my hands.

The new guys like me, don't wear hand wraps, and the experienced guys do. But I'll definitely take your advice and buy some asap. Again, thank you very much for the advice. =)

Best regards,
    Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hello all,

So it's been another 2 months and for the curious who are thinking about starting to box, or the old guys who are just interested I thought I'd sum up my experiences from the last 2 months since my previous post.

First of all I'm happy to say that I am more relaxed now and I try to remind myself to stay relaxed and to breathe. The result is that it's become progressively easier to keep my hands up, and to punch without getting tired so fast. Of course I sometimes slip, but it's getting better and better!

What is also a positive development is that there have been no more serious head aches, and the one I can remember was after a workout where I did not get hit in the head. Instead we punched the heavy bag a lot, so the head ache was definitely from tensing my neck while punching.

Another reason for no head aches could be that I'm moving, blocking and slipping better, so although there have been head hits, it's been more of glancing blows instead of direct hits.

So what am I struggling with?

1. Is of course that I still get out of breath too easily.

It's improving, but not very fast. But at least it's going in the right direction.

2. Becoming overwhelmed when sparring (very lightly) with taller and heavier guys.

As long as I keep my balance, move around and "choose my shots" I feel fairly in control against heavier guys, but as soon as its crowded and I get trapped in a corner, I tend to become like a clam and just covering up. I'm actively training to avoid this by being mindful of the corners and improving my movement, but it still happens from time to time.

3. Actually hitting smaller guys in the body with finesse, instead of overpowering them with lots of punches.

Hitting the head from far away works great, but when we limit our sparring to body shots only, it's tough to actually hit a smaller guy, without putting yourself at risk.

I'm still working on this one and I haven't really found a good solution except an occasional feint, or actually today, when I did land a few straight rights, but the guy was quite new, so it could have been lucky hits. Will experiment more on more experienced guys to see if I can get away with it.

4. The speed of hooks.

I feel comfortable throwing jabs and straights to head and body, but leading with a left hook makes me feel that I'm too slow and unprotected when doing it. I can throw a "half assed" hook and get away with it, but it does not have power. I do throw them as feints with good results, as it allows me to follow up with a quick jab to the head, but except that, I haven't really had any good uses for the hooks.

5. Uppercuts.

And don't get me started with uppercuts! I think this is related to me becoming like a clam when I'm in close. I don't feel comfortable throwing uppercuts in close for some reason. I feel much more at home picking shots from a distance and slipping punches.

Maybe that's a reason for actually forcing myself to close fighting. I think I'll ask the coach for more advice about this.

6. Aggression.

It's happened one or two times that guys become frustrated with me moving around and hitting from afar, so they've become quite aggressive and started to throw really hard punches.

At first I did not quite know what to do, but now I've found the perfect way to handle it thanks to the coach and it's "just say no!"

As my coach said, we're there to learn and have fun, so by telling the other guy to calm down before we continue is quite effective. Once, one guy started to complain to the coach that I hit him hard by mistake and that I am moving too much, but the coach rapidly shushed him and made us change partners, and all was soon forgotten. So the story had a happy end. =)

So that's some of my experiences and problems tha last 2 months. Favourite punches so far is the left jab (most effective at hitting people with it) and my hooks (most powerful, but too slow).

I hope you enjoyed the read!

Best regards,
    Dan

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you have a head ache from any head trauma the worse thing you can possibly do is take aspirin.

Aspirin thins your blood! if you are hemorrhaging aspirin makes you hemorrhage more,never take it. Unless you have heart trouble then it will help you 1/2 of one a day.

Go for other painkillers; but read the pack carefully though, as some are a mixture of aspirin and codeine etc.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hello everyone! Time flies, and it's been another 5 months and I'm still sticking with boxing! I thought I'd write up a report for all the other guys who are thinking about starting, or who started already, and maybe we can learn something from each other experiences.

To start, I thought I'd go through my previous 6 points, and what happened, and then I'll come up with some new things I'm working on.

1. Out of breath.

Still get out of breath, but it's getting better and better. The _first_ magic bullet here was to relax, and the second was not to jump around too much. After those two adjustments I still get out of breath, but I last a lot longer than 5 months ago.

2. Becoming overwhelmed when sparring (very lightly) with taller and heavier guys.

I still sometimes do, and the strategy of saying "no, let's calm down a bit" still works. However! That is clearly not going to work in a more intense sparring session of competition, so this I am working on.

So what have I noticed? Sometimes, if I'm having a good day, I feel in control, and I can back pedal/move around all night if they keep charging, and that let me "pick my shots".

This has made me a lousy in-fighter so I am consciously trying to put myself in in-fighting position to learn. I have to get over my fears of a hard hit in the stomach and keep the opponent busy while inside, but I do tend to tense up and "panic" when on the inside with someone bigger and stronger.

Far away from the bigger and taller fighting, I'm improving, since I'm fast, but there is still the "bull rush" that I'm struggling with. The reason is one of me being too nice, while at the same time trying to respect the level of force we're using while sparring.

Let me explain. When someone rushes, I can jump out of the way, and if he is fast enough he will eventually catch me. What I've discovered works, is to throw a hard left or right in his face when he rushes and here is the dilemma:

The hard punch inflicts some pain, and creates some respect, so he won't try it again. But I've had complaints that I'm punching too hard and that we "were only supposed to go easy". On the other hand, if we are supposed to go easy, someone can afford to bull rush all evening, and in a real fight, that would obviously be less intelligent. So if I don't get to inflict some pain in a bull rush, I don't know what to do except jumping out of the way... What do you think?

3. Actually hitting smaller guys in the body with finesse, instead of overpowering them with lots of punches.

This has improved a lot! Smaller guys who do not punch as hard allow me to experiment, since I don't need to worry about the bone crushing blows of someone who is 20 kg heavier than me. So I'm having lot's of fun, and in my opinion I'm good at controlling my force, so I haven't heard any complaints from the lighter guys.

4. The speed of hooks.

Working on it. Noticed improve power and speed, and I've actually found a good use for my right hook. When sparring with a 15 cm taller guy, he constantly keeps his gloves in front of his face. He doesn't see, but I cannot get at him either. I finally solved this "problem" when I started to throw right hooks that either swept away his hands, when they landed short, which enabled me to get at his face, OR, when throwing wide hooks, I punch him in the head behind hos guard. Yes, I know that I am vulnerable myself in that position, so it takes a bit of care not to let the hook go, when he is advancing, but when he is out of breath, or when he is drawing back his straight, I'ev had good success with it.

5. Uppercuts.

Working on it. Seems some great improvements here! I actually managed to get some work done with my left upper cut the other day, and it was hilarious. Since it is my weakest punch, everyone has gotten used to me not throging them, but once the punch "clicked" people where surprised and I got a few upper cuts + right hooks or straight which worked beautifully!

The right upper cut has not seen a lot of use though, and I guess that is because of my reluctance for in-fighting.

6. Aggression.

See point 2.

Reflections on the past 5 months and what I'm working on right now.

So what happened? I've seen big improvements, feel, stronger and faster, but I feel like I'm falling into a "distance fighting" pattern. Right now I'm working on:

1. Getting more comfortable inside.

This is tough and hard work, but I guess the only way to get better is to actually do it. I'll try some added protection to feel more "secure" and maybe then it is easier to let go, while inside.

2. Not falling into a distance fighting pattern.

Trying to mix up the range a bit and playing with my new found left uppercut, to vary my angles. Until now, I've been a lot of jabs and straight rights, but now I'm trying some feints and combinations of hooks and straight, or left upper cut and straight/hooks.

3. Finding sportsmanlike ways of dealing with bulls.

Do I hit them hard a few times to establish respect, or do I try to cater to their complaints and jump around them? Any other good suggestions?

4. Head aches paranoia.

Head aches have become more and more rare, but it does happen from time to time. I've identified one cause that is situps. I tense my neck when I get tired, and it might give me head aches. On the subject of getting hit in the head, I'm paranoid because it is not good for me and I work primarily with my head (office job). However!! Boxing is a lot of fun, so I'm not ready to let my head shot paranoia get the better of me... yet! It's also a great motivator for learning how to not get hit in the head!

5. Improving reach and not over reaching.

I've improved my reach a lot by learning to stretch out my punches, but I'm trying to find the balance because when I punch hard with hooks, I feel unbalanced some times. Also with straights, when I over reached, my balance is bad, BUT, I do have a very high hit ratio, because people do not expect me to be able to reach that far.

One final anecdote... I also experienced one knock down. It was not a knock out, because the punch was slow and I walked into it, or rather, it connected when I was on one leg, and the puncher was about 50 kg heavier and push me onto the floor. So for me it didn't feel that bad, but everyone around thought something really bad happened. You could hear a pin fall to the ground, but fortunately for everyone, I was up and jumping again in a second. But I do appreciate the difference between getting punched for real (that "whip lash" effect that is extremely unpleasant) and getting pushed (might look scary, but actually doesn't feel too bad in the head). As for body punches, paradoxically it is my favourite spot to get hit, because you're out for a while, in pain, but you don't have to worry about your head receiving any damage!

That's all for now. Hope you enjoyed the read!

Best regards,
    Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I definitely recommend skipping. Builds your calf muscles so they don't get fatigued as easily when you're on your toes, as it's not good to be flat-footed in the ring. I used to die after one round of skipping when I first started, but one day after a couple of months the burn didn't happen anymore and I was able to skip until I gassed out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by remy View Post
    I definitely recommend skipping. Builds your calf muscles so they don't get fatigued as easily when you're on your toes, as it's not good to be flat-footed in the ring. I used to die after one round of skipping when I first started, but one day after a couple of months the burn didn't happen anymore and I was able to skip until I gassed out.
    Thank you very much for the advise remy! =) Good thing I live on the first floor, so no neighbours will complain about the skipping.

Best regards,
    Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice, I enjoyed this thread! keep up with the updates ye? It has given me good info for my plans to take up boxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hello doebird,

As long as people are interested, of course I'll keep it up! Good luck on starting, and I hope you enjoy it!

Best regards,
    Dan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There was a saying that the difference between the really good athletes and the not so good ones is that the good ones can maintain their technique no matter what...

Thread Information