Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default World Baseball Classic

World Baseball Classic: World Baseball Classic Bracket

Not much into Major League Baseball, unless it's the World Series (badly named). But the World Baseball Classic, held every 3 years, is something else. 16 countries from all around the world, down to a single final game to determine the champion. Brazil, China, Australia, and Korea have already been eliminated, as Groups A and B have already moved on to the 2nd round. But some surprising entries still remain in Groups C and D, such as Spain and Italy.

Group C is playing in San Juan, so I got 2 tickets to see the P.R.-Venezuela clash tomorrow. Should be fun. This group is pretty tough, with powerhouses Venezuela and the Dominican Republic as well as Puerto Rico in there.

Just watched Mexico upset the U.S. 5-2 earlier tonight. Obviously the U.S. is missing some of its bigger stars, either through injury or whatnot. Also the timing of the tournament is a bit awkward, as the Major League teams go through their spring training in preparation for the coming season. But I enjoy the Classic immensely.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: World Baseball Classic

I enjoy the World Baseball Series as well.

I think it is great that it is during spring training, as it gives even more people a chance to participate in spring training (as the teams bring in more people to compensate for losing players).

I also think it helps the players participating in World Baseball, because it gives them meaningful games much earlier in the season that everyone else.

Players from the Kansas City Royals to watch:

Eric Hosmer -- 1st Base USA
    Louis Mendoza -- Starting/Relief pitch for Mexico
    Irving Falu -- Puerto Rico
    Salvador Perez -- Catcher Venezuela
    Tim Collins -- relief pitcher USA
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saw Mendoza pitching last night against the U.S. And I gotta say... Mexico's pitching all-around is not bad. And I'm enjoying seeing some typical "non-baseball" countries, such as Italy and the Netherlands, give it a go. It's only when they have the Classic, that I become aware of the number of countries that actually have baseball. I'm amazed they didn't start this Classic earlier than 2006.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah Tito Mendoza is one of my favorite pitchers. He only makes around half a million this year and outperforms some players on our team that make 5 + million.

He won't make our rotation but will be a great long reliever.

I agree, this is a fun event and is alot of fun for other countries too. Baseball seems to be alot more important in other countries than here now. Just seems like the majority of kids go for other sports.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pitching is one aspect of baseball we've never been known for here in Puerto Rico. Some decent pitchers, but nothing like a Pedro Martinez or a Mariano Rivera. We're mostly known for producing good catchers.

And yeah, I know what you mean about baseball in other countries vs baseball in the States. It seems football and basketball are higher on kids' list than baseball. And meanwhile, baseball has picked up in other countries.

Personally, I love seeing the international interest pick up... and I love seeing how the Baseball Classic is progressing. With Saddo's being a very international, but mostly British boxing forum, baseball doesn't get a lot of mention. Cricket is considered more of an international sport. But I think the Classic is going to grow international baseball interest very, very significantly.

(Side Note: I'm tempted to refer to the classic by its initials, WBC, but as a boxing fan, WBC only has one meaning to me. )

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just seen this on Sportscenter

Canada-Mexico brawl breaks out in WBC game - ESPN

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Puerto Rico 6, Venezuela 3....... YEAH!!

Just got back from Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan from having attended the Puerto Rico vs Venezuela game. It was electric! The first thing that struck me was the number of Venezuelan fans at the game, all decked out in the Venezuelan team caps and jerseys. Also the large number of Venezuelan flags being waved at the stadium. That's what I love about these international competitions.

Venezuela was favored, as they along with the Dominican Republic were rated the best teams in Group C. Puerto Rico was a close third, with Spain lagging behind. But tonight's win over Venezuela catapults Puerto Rico into the second round, along with Dominican Republic, who had already beaten Venezuela earlier in the round robin first round.

It was cool seeing some of the best Major Leaguers out there, such as Miguel Cabrera and Pablo Sandoval, both from Venezuela. Miguel is coming off winning the Triple Crown this year, the first Major Leaguer to do so in 45 years. And I think Pablo Sandoval was the MVP of this year's World Series. Puerto Rico, of course, counters with the likes of Carlos Beltran and Yadier Molina.

The stadium looked great. About the only thing I would add is a larger screen to show replays and stuff like that. Anyway, the atmosphere was electric, and I shouted myself hoarse. I'll probably be like that for a couple of days. I went with my brother, and we had pretty good seats. But it took us about an hour to get out of the stadium and the parking lot.

Then we went to Lupi's, a late night Mexican food place, and watched some of the USA vs Italy game on ESPN Deportes.

Tomorrow Puerto Rico plays the Dominican Republic, but it's meaningless, because both of them have advanced to Round 2. Venezuela and Spain have been eliminated.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan View Post
    If you are going to lose the game badly at least don't get beat up in the brawl.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never been to Baseball game, but it looks to be something to attended in the US, if given the
    chance.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Puerto Rico 6, Venezuela 3....... YEAH!!

Just got back from Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan from having attended the Puerto Rico vs Venezuela game. It was electric! The first thing that struck me was the number of Venezuelan fans at the game, all decked out in the Venezuelan team caps and jerseys. Also the large number of Venezuelan flags being waved at the stadium. That's what I love about these international competitions.

Venezuela was favored, as they along with the Dominican Republic were rated the best teams in Group C. Puerto Rico was a close third, with Spain lagging behind. But tonight's win over Venezuela catapults Puerto Rico into the second round, along with Dominican Republic, who had already beaten Venezuela earlier in the round robin first round.

It was cool seeing some of the best Major Leaguers out there, such as Miguel Cabrera and Pablo Sandoval, both from Venezuela. Miguel is coming off winning the Triple Crown this year, the first Major Leaguer to do so in 45 years. And I think Pablo Sandoval was the MVP of this year's World Series. Puerto Rico, of course, counters with the likes of Carlos Beltran and Yadier Molina.

The stadium looked great. About the only thing I would add is a larger screen to show replays and stuff like that. Anyway, the atmosphere was electric, and I shouted myself hoarse. I'll probably be like that for a couple of days. I went with my brother, and we had pretty good seats. But it took us about an hour to get out of the stadium and the parking lot.

Then we went to Lupi's, a late night Mexican food place, and watched some of the USA vs Italy game on ESPN Deportes.

Tomorrow Puerto Rico plays the Dominican Republic, but it's meaningless, because both of them have advanced to Round 2. Venezuela and Spain have been eliminated.
    '

Sounds like a great time!!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VictorCharlie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan View Post
    If you are going to lose the game badly at least don't get beat up in the brawl.

So Mexico gets stomped by Canada in the baseball game, and their asses kicked in the brawl.
    Hahaha.

BTW, that was a total bush league move by Mexico's 3rd baseman and pitcher in intentionally beaning the Canada batter. The game's not over till it's over. If you're getting blown out, put another pitcher in there. Suck it up, you're a professional. Besides, as the announcer said, there's run differential tie-breakers involved. Totally bush league by the Mexican team.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Venezuela is looking good against Spain right now...

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer View Post

Miguel Cabrera and Pablo Sandoval are about due for a big game.
    They're like unexploded ordnance.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer View Post

Miguel Cabrera and Pablo Sandoval are about due for a big game.
    They're like unexploded ordnance.

Venezuela is looking to give the game right back.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow... Venezuela looking listless and could easily lose to Spain. It would be a good showing for Spain, maybe spurring a little more interest in what is strictly a futbol-crazy nation. Can't help but notice the empty seats at the stadium. Quite a difference from the crazed atmosphere last night. This afternoon's clash between P.R. and the D.R. should be pretty crazy as well.

Thread Information