is it worth a punt?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is Cunninghams 1st fight against a true heavyweight. I fill the size difference will be too great and I don't think he'll last the distance. I wouldn't back it at the 4/1 that's currently available

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: fury v cunningham

No. Cunningham is tailor made for Fury, and is just an opportunity for him and his management team to claim after the victory that Fury is the greatest fighter ever via the seven degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can see the potential for an upset
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I live in hope for one.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm almost 100% certain that Cunningham is a better boxer than anyone Fury has face before. He'll be in great shape, which none of Fury's opponents have been really. He'll more than likely let punches go in a calculated and skillful manner, unlike almost ALL of Fury's previous opponents. I think Cunningham will beat Fury, by UD.

Lets have a quick look back at Fury's recent opponents.

Kevin Johnson
    Vinny Maddalone
    Martin Rogan
    Neven Pajkic
    Nicolai Firtha
    Derek Chisora
    Marcelo Nascimento

Chisora is the best of them all IMO and was WAY out of shape against Fury. The rest are absolutely NO WHERE NEAR WORLD LEVEL. To go from these opponents, to then fighting in Madison Square Garden, although only against Cunningham, is a big step up. Fury is getting DECKED sooner or later, doubtful by Cunningham. For a guy that gets on the back foot against someone like Johnson who isn't even letting punches go, god knows what he'll do when faced with a seriuos challenge. Probably be jumping the top rope. I actually hope he beats Cunningham and we see one of the Klits absolutely smash the dude in to next week. Failing that, seeing him in with Tony Thompson and getting floored would almost be as much fun.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMacMagician View Post
    I'm almost 100% certain that Cunningham is a better boxer than anyone Fury has face before. He'll be in great shape, which none of Fury's opponents have been really. He'll more than likely let punches go in a calculated and skillful manner, unlike almost ALL of Fury's previous opponents. I think Cunningham will beat Fury, by UD.

Lets have a quick look back at Fury's recent opponents.

Kevin Johnson
    Vinny Maddalone
    Martin Rogan
    Neven Pajkic
    Nicolai Firtha
    Derek Chisora
    Marcelo Nascimento

Chisora is the best of them all IMO and was WAY out of shape against Fury. The rest are absolutely NO WHERE NEAR WORLD LEVEL. To go from these opponents, to then fighting in Madison Square Garden, although only against Cunningham, is a big step up. Fury is getting DECKED sooner or later, doubtful by Cunningham. For a guy that gets on the back foot against someone like Johnson who isn't even letting punches go, god knows what he'll do when faced with a seriuos challenge. Probably be jumping the top rope. I actually hope he beats Cunningham and we see one of the Klits absolutely smash the dude in to next week. Failing that, seeing him in with Tony Thompson and getting floored would almost be as much fun.
    i agree with your points on furys opponents and the fact that cunningham is miles above anything he has faced despite being in a lower weight class

this is why i raise the point of a potential upset in the first place

you do seem like a hater tho so perhaps your passion for an upset is clouding your judgement

El Kabong Guest

Cunningham doesn't have the punching power to trouble Fury, but he's a decent boxer and if he can avoid getting hurt he could win. Cunningham has given Adamek Hell TWICE...I think he could quite possibly score the upset especially since the fight is in New York and not England. This is Tyson Fury's very first fight in America and if you'll recall some British fighters have trouble when they are being hyped up as "the next big thing" and fight in the US, Hatton-Collazo comes to mind.

Fury should gun for a KO because if he doesn't hurt Cunningham then even more questions will be raised about him.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Cunningham doesn't have the punching power to trouble Fury, but he's a decent boxer and if he can avoid getting hurt he could win. Cunningham has given Adamek Hell TWICE...I think he could quite possibly score the upset especially since the fight is in New York and not England. This is Tyson Fury's very first fight in America and if you'll recall some British fighters have trouble when they are being hyped up as "the next big thing" and fight in the US, Hatton-Collazo comes to mind.

Fury should gun for a KO because if he doesn't hurt Cunningham then even more questions will be raised about him.
    hatton v collazo was a completely different situation

Hatton was already world champion and an experienced espatblished fighter with some very good wins behind him including against a fighter considered the best in the division

Hatton was moving up in weight against a world champion at short notice

Fury isnt a world champion and hasnt fought anywhere near that level and he is fighting someone smaller than him who isnt a world champion either

the main difference is the experience between the fighters

if you want to make comparisons, david haye v carl thompson, david price v tony thompson

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    hatton v collazo was a completely different situation

Hatton was already world champion and an experienced espatblished fighter with some very good wins behind him including against a fighter considered the best in the division

Hatton was moving up in weight against a world champion at short notice

Fury isnt a world champion and hasnt fought anywhere near that level and he is fighting someone smaller than him who isnt a world champion either

the main difference is the experience between the fighters

if you want to make comparisons, david haye v carl thompson, david price v tony thompson
    #1 Hatton wasn't a world champion at 147 which is where he fought Collazo

and

#2 I know the differences in the fights, yes Hatton was far more experienced than Fury is now...the point is they're both being sold to the American fight fans ergo there's a touch more pressure to perform and SOME fighters don't react well to such pressure. I don't think that pressure bothered Hatton so much as he just couldn't handle 147 at all, but still he pushed himself hard in that fight to make a good impression with the fans.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the point is that we have a young inexperienced fighter "stepping up" for the first time

thats definately something that couldnt be said about hatton going into the collazo fight

the point of the thread isnt how british fighters have struggled when fighting in america for the first time

2 completely different topics

why dont you start a new thread if you want to talk about that

El Kabong Guest

I was pointing out that not only is Fury stepping up in class, it's his first fight in America as well and therefore a few more variables come into play especially considering Fury's lack of experience. Will he feel more pressure fighting in Madison Square Garden? Will he be botherered by his training schedule being different (as I assume he's training in england and then coming the states later on)? Will he be jet lagged? How will he handle the American media? Will he be booked on any tv shows or radio shows to hype the fight & if so how will he handle those?

Ricky Hatton had the added benefit of having a massive fanbase in England that followed him everywhere...does Fury?

I'm asking questions and making observations relevant to the OP. The crux of which is "Can anyone see an upset" & "is this worth a punt?" so don't tell me to move threads you stupid ginger cunt.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I was pointing out that not only is Fury stepping up in class, it's his first fight in America as well and therefore a few more variables come into play especially considering Fury's lack of experience. Will he feel more pressure fighting in Madison Square Garden? Will he be botherered by his training schedule being different (as I assume he's training in england and then coming the states later on)? Will he be jet lagged? How will he handle the American media? Will he be booked on any tv shows or radio shows to hype the fight & if so how will he handle those?

Ricky Hatton had the added benefit of having a massive fanbase in England that followed him everywhere...does Fury?

I'm asking questions and making observations relevant to the OP. The crux of which is "Can anyone see an upset" & "is this worth a punt?" so don't tell me to move threads you stupid ginger cunt.
    :0 yeah good points

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cunningham is a somewhat ideal opponent for Fury to step up against because he doesn't have a big punch. We saw when Fury fought that Canadian undefeaeted boxer (Nejac?), he was hurt a few times. I think Thompson is a riskier fight for Fury than Cunningham.

Cunningham can box and is somewhat elusive, but over the course of 12 rounds, he will have to exchange at some point and that is where Fury will have the advantage.

I like Fury by knockout.

I also admire Fury for comning over to this side of the pond to make a name for himself. It makes a fight with Wladimir down the road even bigger.

El Kabong Guest

Cunningham had trouble with more physical fighters at cruiserweight, but he looked pretty solid vs Adamek who is better than anyone Fury has been in with.

Thread Information