Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Millionaire Footbalers Who Lose Everything

BBC Sport - Riches to Rags: Millionaire footballers who lose everything

Anyone any sympathy ? I haven't - although i do have to say in this particular instance he did try and build a future. But if you see the names on that list I say fuck 'em.

The most of modern day footballers are nothing more than mercenaries. I love the game but can't wait for it to implode in a way when some of the bigger clubs can't sustain the financial side
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Millionaire Footbalers Who Lose Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    BBC Sport - Riches to Rags: Millionaire footballers who lose everything

Anyone any sympathy ? I haven't - although i do have to say in this particular instance he did try and build a future. But if you see the names on that list I say fuck 'em.

The most of modern day footballers are nothing more than mercenaries. I love the game but can't wait for it to implode in a way when some of the bigger clubs can't sustain the financial side
    and they say women love to shop! I'd be hard pressed to keep spending that much.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

None... still pisses me off that they take Corrie off for that shit sometimes

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They are normal people who deserve our sympathy. They do suffer like us all.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    you don't do much to convince people you aren't a complete and utter prick do you.......

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you don't do much to convince people you aren't a complete and utter prick do you.......
    You are heartless. Just because they have money, fame, women, fast cars, big houses they are still normal people.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shame that they finish work, the same time the Betting shops open.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Millionaire footballers are also killing football league clubs. Clubs that have often been the social and emotional heartbeat of towns and cities across the country. Fuck em and their plastic so called fans.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are heartless. Just because they have money, fame, women, fast cars, big houses they are still normal people.

bellend

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Millionaire footballers are also killing football league clubs. Clubs that have often been the social and emotional heartbeat of towns and cities across the country. Fuck em and their plastic so called fans.
    Agreed. The hyper inflation of the earnings of the modern top player is disgusting and if you cannot save enough money for retirement then you deserve what you get. I have no sympathy or tolerance for such stupid people.

Evander Holyfield in boxing is another.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a problem across all sports apparently. You get a young man and give him a crapload of money and some mistaks are gonna be made. I read that 70% of the people who pass through the NFL( American Football) are bankrupt within 2 or 4 (cant remember which one) years of retiring.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by chinchekked View Post
    This is a problem across all sports apparently. You get a young man and give him a crapload of money and some mistaks are gonna be made. I read that 70% of the people who pass through the NFL( American Football) are bankrupt within 2 or 4 (cant remember which one) years of retiring.
    Total agreement we must remember, theses people earning very large amounts of money in general
    are from working class back grounds. Money on tap through there carers, wealth fame and a clam
    some can handle it others simple can't.
    Remember it's THERE life, the only harm they are doing is too themselves is it not,! you may talk
    level headed, but what happens when you got millions burning a hole in your hand, and your
    in your 20's. I no spend, spend that's what , your on the top of the mountain only way is down.!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by chinchekked View Post
    It is stupidity though as all it takes is one serious injury to end that career and most will have to retire in their mid thirties. It doesn't take a genius to know that putting money away for a rainy day is a good idea and more so if you know the rain is pretty much around the corner.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its not a surprise, regardless of the amount of money, people (not Miles) will always stretch their means to the limit and in some cases beyond.

Sympathy? Nah, just the same as I wouldnt have any for a 20k a year person racking up a ton of dept trying to keep up with the Jonses.

Theres clearly more to Hendries story than meets the eye. You dont amass a 10 million quid property portfolio and then have to watch it go down the swanny without having some serious further debt to service.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, it is definitely a problem that hits those at the top and bottom, but living paycheck to paycheck seems to be an almost endemic way to live in modern consumer societies. There seems to be the thinking in the mind of ordinary folk that there will always be a safety net and they have that attitude of 'It's mine and I want it NOW!' and that really should be discouraged early on in life. Children are spoiled and grow up thinking it normal to be so, they really have no idea what conditions are like for the majority of people on this globe. There really should be classes in school on financial management as debt is almost a natural state of affairs with students loans and 'free' credit etc and then the life of mortgages, credit cards and other fluff designed to keep a man enslaved. Nobody needs that expensive car, 3 children (was one really never enough or even two?), a mortgage with crippling interest rates, 2 holidays a year etc etc. There seems to be almost no self restraint and consideration that maybe you are responsible for your own future and that maybe that tiny government pension isn't going to subsidise your end days in any degree of comfort. That's my attitude towards middle earners who cannot wind themselves in, so obviously the super rich get none of my sympathy.

Actions have consequences and your life is your responsibility. A tough situation should be a lesson learned and we have all been there. There is no reason why a football player cannot learn from his mistakes and join the real world. That's why I respect someone like Joe Calzaghe (a boxer strangely enough) who clearly managed his money fairly carefully. You don't need to live like a monk, but just have a little foresight.

For people way below average incomes it is probably very hard to get by, but for others doing moderately well, they live on the edge largely because they make choices that really don't have to be made. Holyfield with the million room mansion or the middle income family with several children or the banker who fluffs it all on the dogs. Well, you made those choices and have to live with it.
    Last edited by Gandalf; 03-18-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Thread Information