Thread: David Price vs. Tony Thompson II at Liverpool's Echo Arena on July 6

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default David Price vs. Tony Thompson II at Liverpool's Echo Arena on July 6

I think Price will win the rematch.

What do you think?

Repeat or Revenge? Price-Thompson II is on

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/repe...i-is-on-181982

David Price will meet Tony Thompson in a rematch at Liverpool’s Echo Arena on Saturday 6th July. Secret negotiations between Price’s promoter Frank Maloney and the Washington DC southpaw have been going on for two weeks. Contracts for the big 12 round international heavyweight return were finally signed late on Tuesday night. When the pair clashed last month, two-time world title challenger Thompson caused a monumental upset stopping the 6ft 8in scouser in the second round.

Maloney said, “There was a rematch clause in the original contract, but it was still far from easy to make it happens. Because it was such a big win for Thompson there was a lot of interest in him from rival promoters, but we got there and he has signed. There were other options for David also, but he and his trainer Franny Smith were adamant they wanted Thompson again.

“There have been a lot of nasty things said about David since the first Thompson bout, but this proves his fighting heart. Not many fighters have begged me to jump straight back in with someone who has beaten them. The fans in Liverpool have been magnificent to David over the last 12 months and I am sure they will respond and get behind the fight.”

British and Commonwealth champion Price’s loss against Thompson is his only setback in 16 professional battles. And a win will put him firmly back in the world title picture. Maloney will announce a top class undercard in the coming weeks along with details of a Liverpool press conference.
    Last edited by Freedom; 03-28-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: David Price vs. Tony Thompson II at Liverpool's Echo Arena on July 6

Depends if he gets hit or not. No chin and now probably gunshy to boot.

Its not like he learned anything new in their fight. He got stopped in the second so he didnt even get any learning rounds.

Another genius move by Maloney.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: David Price vs. Tony Thompson II at Liverpool's Echo Arena on July 6

I expect Thompson to give him more falling down lessons

jon09 Guest

Price is dumber then I thought. I hope Thompson puts him to sleep faster this time around.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With all the talk of stepping back up to world title contention after his last win, Thompson is back in the UK for another payday then.

I thought he'd generally be looking for something better than a rematch, but I guess that's where the money is at this stage in his career.

For Price, it makes sense as he was showing he could outbox Thompson until he went out like a light. I expect an almost Audley-like avoidance of punches in the rematch, and I wonder how that's going to affect his ability and desire to deliver the real power punches.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good for David. Dusting himself off and getting back on the horse. If it happens again he might want to examine his career choice.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll be in the minority and say that Price has nowhere to go but up. Thompson might be emboldened by his previous KO victory, but he's just a twice-beaten-by-Wlad retread. For the division's sake, I hope Price wins.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I'll be in the minority and say that Price has nowhere to go but up. Thompson might be emboldened by his previous KO victory, but he's just a twice-beaten-by-Wlad retread. For the division's sake, I hope Price wins.
    Price reminds me of Wlad before he learned how to clinch effectively.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Know what, good for Price. He could of course run back to the confines and comfort of fall guys and knocking over stunt men but really what would that prove? In this day and age its good to see a guy cut to the chase and try to right the ship. Thompson should have stuck to his guns and not followed him back home but money talks.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Know what, good for Price. He could of course run back to the confines and comfort of fall guys and knocking over stunt men but really what would that prove? In this day and age its good to see a guy cut to the chase and try to right the ship. Thompson should have stuck to his guns and not followed him back home but money talks.
    Yes kudos to Price. It seems like it was a fluke punch he was caught with so why not get right back in there and avenge the loss ? It was good enough for Lennox Lewis against Rahman so its good enough for Price as well.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Price reminds me of Wlad before he learned how to clinch effectively.
    Maybe in skin color. But not as fighter. Price ability to take a punch is worse than Wlad. Look at there amateur careers. To my knowledge Wlad hardly went down. Price was like a fucking whore. He was always going down

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wasn't that Thompson is here for a payday as said above, there was a rematch clause in the first contract.

This is a good choice for Price.

Every says "no chin" but remember what actually happened, it was a freak punch that bust his eardrum.

He he never took a shot on the chin and never got beaten down.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    It wasn't that Thompson is here for a payday as said above, there was a rematch clause in the first contract.

Every says "no chin" but remember what actually happened, it was a freak punch that bust his eardrum.

Doesn't matter where he gets hit. He just has poor punch resistance. There's just no way around that.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post

Doesn't matter where he gets hit. He just has poor punch resistance. There's just no way around that.
    Maybe but, he can work on defenses.

I don't personally think it was poor punch resistance. Just a weird punch, I'll judge when he gets Hilton the chin solid.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He needs to learn how to fight!

He lnows how to punch but he needs to be dragged in to a fight. He needs some tough old journey men that cant punch.

Thompson was challenging Wlad last year, thats not the level he should have been thrown in against after facing the likes of Sexton, Harrison and Skelton.

He hasnt learnt anything about how to come back from adversity during a fight. He got caught, went down and couldnt do anything about it.

His punch resistance will let gim down again. I thought the shape Thompson came in was disgusting and he had no desire to put a fight up, just collect some money. Even then he still managed to connect. If he omes in in shape next time after this mini career revival then Prices career is all but over against a 40 something who wasnt good enough to win a title.

Thread Information