Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Elijah McCall and other Legends offspring.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Elijah McCall and other Legends offspring.

Like Monk Foreman 16(15)-0-0 Elijah comes from a World champion father.

Currently sitting 12(10)-2-0 and losing is his last fight to unbeaten prospect Andy Ruiz 18(12)-0-0 he still has a bit of promise.

I get excited when I see this type of fighter, just like Foreman's son they have the people behind them that know how to build a world champion.

Laila Ali 24(21)-0-0 is another example.

Do you think having this kind of boxing royalty as family helps or hinders their careers?

Look at Marvis Frazier, he retired with a 19-2-0 with 8 KO's record, only losing to Larry Holmes and Mike Tyson, which are acceptable losses.
    Last edited by Vendettos; 04-10-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Elijah McCall and other Legends offspring.

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    Like Monk Foreman 16(15)-0-0 Elijah comes from a World champion father.

Currently sitting 12(10)-2-0 and losing is his last fight to unbeaten prospect Andy Ruiz 18(12)-0-0 he still has a bit of promise.

I get excited when I see this type of fighter, just like Foreman's son they have the people behind them that know how to build a world champion.

Laila Ali 24(21)-0-0 is another example.

Do you think having this kind of boxing royalty as family helps or hinders their careers?

Look at Marvis Frazier, he retired with a 19-2-0 with 8 KO's record, only losing to Larry Holmes and Mike Tyson, which are acceptable losses.
    It can o ly jelp their careers as their fathers have experience to pass on and protect them

Most would probably never have had any inclination to become a boxer if it wasnt for wanting to please their dad or be as great a fighter as their dad anyway.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe it helps the fighters, so long as their Father isn't in their corner. Most of fathers who corner their sons do not do a great job. There are exceptions of course as Shane Mosley's Dad did a swell job up to a point.

One of the forgotten Father-Son lil dynasties was Guty Espadas Sr. and Jr. Each were world champions.

That is an incredibly rare feat.

You can also count Floyd Patterson and his adopted son Tracy Harris Patterson as Father-Son champs.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think championship offspring is a double edged blade.

On one hand, these kids are in the gym fighting when other childrentheir age are swinging on monkey bars. Look at a guy like PBF, who lived boxing from day he could walk on two legs, so of course he had YEARS of head start on most boxers who start boxing in their teens, and obviously when he needed guidance he had a world champion uncle and a solid contender father.

The bad side is that when your dad was a championship boxer, more than likely you grow up living the privledged life and don't have the drive that your father had who grew up poor. For a lot of guys, that fire of living in destitute conditions drives them to boxing greatness and prevents them from quitting. They HAD to fight. When you don't have to get punched in the head to have a good living, that drive often isn't there obviously.

Like Foreman's son, I think he fights more for fun than anything. We'll never see him as a champ, he doesn't have that drive his daddy did - and for good reason.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jersey Joe Walcott stopped Phil Johnson in 3 rds.
    14 years later, Jersey Joe stopped Phil's son, Harold Johnson, also in 3 rds.

jon09 Guest

The Trinidad's were pretty good together.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good thread. Often times fighters are made their best when they have someone in the family that has boxing experience. From Shane Mosely- who's father was a fighter- to little ol'e Floyd Mayweather, it's a plus.

I happen to think Monk Foreman is over-hyped. Elijah McCall is starting out like his father did- hopefully he has the same type of durability and can succede.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Good thread. Often times fighters are made their best when they have someone in the family that has boxing experience. From Shane Mosely- who's father was a fighter- to little ol'e Floyd Mayweather, it's a plus.

I happen to think Monk Foreman is over-hyped. Elijah McCall is starting out like his father did- hopefully he has the same type of durability and can succede.
    I take the smile is for sarcasm purposes? McCall has already been ko'd.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

I take the smile is for sarcasm purposes? McCall has already been ko'd.
    I'm talking the win-loss ratio. McCall was a loser before he began to win. In these days and times, ko's aren't that much of a big deal as they used to be anymore. With the steriods, new training techniques, other enhancements, etc... you can't expect ordinary guys- like who Oliver McCall was- in THESE DAYS AND TIMES to go by unblemished as his son tried.

Thread Information