Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mayweather and Catchweights

Mayweather's decision to have a catchweight of 152 lbs against Alvarez got me thinking of Mayweather's catchweight fight against Marquez at 144 lbs, if I'm not mistaken. we all know Mayweather pulled a dirty one and came in overweight by 2 lbs. It seemed like he didn't care about the catchweight and made no attempt to come in on the agreed weight. He'd rather pay the fine and come into the fight with an advantage.
    Then it occurred to me that it would be justice if Alvarez comes in 2 lbs over at 154 lbs so that he can have an advantage and be 100%. Pay the fine just like Mayweather did against Marquez.
    I think Mayweather would have beaten Marquez regardless of the weight but it's just a thought I'm throwing out there.

What are your thoughts on this? What would your reaction be if Alvarez comes in overweight? The 'I'm not bothered, I'll pay the fine' overweight that Mayweather was.
    Also, how much is the fine for coming overweight in this fight?

I haven't been on here for a while so hope your all well and having a lovely summer.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mayweather and Catchweights

I'd bet that Alvarez would be penalized much more severely than Floyd was in that case, and I'm not aware of anything which prevents such stipulations in the contract. There may be a set fine by the athletic commission, but the fighters are also free to determine what penalties for missing weight would be on top of that. Floyd had probably made sure that Marquez had no leverage on him for missing weight, and that the total opposite will be true for Alvarez in this fight. It was also Canelo who offered to make the fight at 152, Floyd did not ask for the catch weight, apparently.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't know if Mayweather let's anyone punk him, he turned down over 50 million with the Manny fight, if Canelo comes in at 154 Floyd might tell him he needs to try to lose the weight or it's off. I hate the catch weight but from what I understand Canelo can make 10 times what he has ever made if this sales over 1.5 million. Also the catch weight is the perfect rematch selling point.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saul looks like he can make 152lb but agree the catchweights are silly and tarnishes his legacy.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the big thing is that Floyd was a hypocrite, he bashed Manny for making Cotto come down to a catch weight, then he went ahead and did it himself.

I would imagine that Floyd put something into the contract to protect himself from Saul coming in over weight. But I would hope Canelo would be honorable and make it.

If you sign a contract saying you'll fight at a weight, and you don't make the weight, that's shameful and unprofessional. Two wrongs don't make a right. Canelo should take the high road and do the right thing. Mayweather not making weight vs Marquez was shameful.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    I think the big thing is that Floyd was a hypocrite, he bashed Manny for making Cotto come down to a catch weight, then he went ahead and did it himself.

I would imagine that Floyd put something into the contract to protect himself from Saul coming in over weight. But I would hope Canelo would be honorable and make it.

If you sign a contract saying you'll fight at a weight, and you don't make the weight, that's shameful and unprofessional. Two wrongs don't make a right. Canelo should take the high road and do the right thing. Mayweather not making weight vs Marquez was shameful.
    I agree 100%. Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because Floyd did wrong, doesn't mean Canelo should follow in his footsteps. If he does, he should be subject to the same criticism.

Thread Information