Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: GTA 5 - Views?

I've had a XBOX 360 for about three years and literally haven't turned it on in about two years, but I bought it. Haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but apparently the XBOX still works so I'm probably going to start messing around with it tonight.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The map is gigantic. Look at it compared to San Andreas. I remember thinking that map was almost too big to really explore fully

And this is just LA, not LA, San Francisco and Las Vegas

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    I have loved the series since it's inception, even the logo gives me goose bumps of nostalgia. It is a cultural phenomenon originating from these fair shores and will be remembered as the first game to transcend it's format. I don't have 4 spare hours to sit down and play it in one go but I still have very vivid collections of playing all night in stunned and shocked awe in 2001 when 3 was released. ( The last time before that I pulled an all night session was Super Mario 64 in 1997 and that was as much to do with the quality of green being passed around as exploring the trippy three dimensional environment for the first time.)

I have ordered it and a new PS3. My PS3 died two years ago and so when I have played the odd game it has been on Steam with the PC. Steam is great because you can buy and help green light small indie games from smaller developers and buy old classics for nostalgia and new releases for so much less money than a console game, but GTA is made for the big screen. My stepson is as excited as me because we both have older PS3 games we did not get around to finishing, as well as the prospect of playing GTA5. You should take some selfies in game Miles and post them up here

Previous games were worth buying for the sharpness of wit in the script and radio stations alone let alone the unparalleled joy of mowing down pensioners in shell suits, and Lazlo introducing some classic pop song as you were hunted down by a squadron of police cars and a helicopter until your petrol tank exploded and you were left running with a grenade launcher on your shoulder, trying to blow the chopper out of the sky. Robbing, nicking golf buggies, getting inebriated and causing mayhem it was like a night out with @Spicoli in his wasted youth

3D in 3 was wow inducing enough but then motorbikes and flying in Vice City and then BMX's in San Andreas carried it on. I thought 4 was nice for it's realism but it lost way to much of the irreverence and humour, the cartoonish twist and the ultimately affectionate if scathing recreation of a mythical America that exists in the mind of counter culture youth from the UK and the rest of the world, was missing. I hear that keen sense of parody is back in 5 and that the balance between realistic environments and caricatured populations with plenty of opportunity for free roaming, russian doll like, game within a game, joy has returned. I can't wait, have fun Miles.
    Ha! Yeh man I remember the very first ones, the overhead arcade like set up, next thing you know 3 comes out and its Have not played GTA5 yet and haven't even finished 4 but on the odd rainy Sunday its a good stress relief . The greatness of the game is the total non lineal and open world set up. That also makes it extremely easy to get distracted and in fact end up smashing around in a Trash Truck laying on the horn and making road pizza out of coppers. Went through the C.J San Andreas one using only a dirt bike as a challenge. Exceptional manuverability...climbing stairs, roof top to roof top and losing 3,4 wanted levels in hallway alleys ha. You can literally climb anything with the dirt bike...ride up the back of a speeding car and enjoy the ride. They went politically correct a bit in 4 and did away with the side quests of finding 100 "packages" of coke. Sometimes you'd just tune in the different stations and leave the game on for back up noise. What makes me laugh is a good many tunes I watch now or download now also found on the soundtracks, I'll see 20'somethings comment "OHH GTA" Need to check the game out but finding it here is a challenge this early I would assume. The map is unbelievable, looks alot like the prior game with the expansive green area and counrty side. Might have to actually stop playing Fallout 3 now, finally!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember each time, the jump from say a C64 to the Mega Drive, then to a PlayStation, saying to all my mates "look at the graphics, look how real it looks, it will never get better than this!"

Get my GTA tomorrow!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that the jumps are getting smaller and smaller.

16bit consoles to 32bit/64bit consoles was HUGE, 32/64 bit to 128 bit was big, the next jump up took time to fully look next gen (Resident Evil 4 looked better than several 360 launch titles) abd what I saw at E3 this year wasn't a HUGE leap.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just started. It's pretty.
    Last edited by OumaFan; 09-20-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas (didn't play 4 really, just a bit), you got to know the neighborhoods, etc., my first impression after an hour or so is you'd have to be unemployed to really know your way around this place. The detail is insane, it's not surprising that they spent years on this thing.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

3 hours in: Done one mission (and the ones you have to do to start), traced the perimeter in a car (still barely touched the city or the interior of the countryside), had to evade the cops because I stood to close to this woman on a mountain side resort, died via jumping off the pier into the ocean, and climbed Mount Chilliad (granted I drove the first 3/4).

Next on my list: find Grove Street (San Andreas)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Installing now!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Copy seems to have fallen into me basket earlier. Wish I would have known about the friggin 16GB required . Dumb question here, but hey...can you use an old removable hard drive from another x box run to a x box 4GB

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Copy seems to have fallen into me basket earlier. Wish I would have known about the friggin 16GB required . Dumb question here, but hey...can you use an old removable hard drive from another x box run to a x box 4GB
    I think you can.

The game is unbelievable.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The previous games set such benchmarks and a wait of 5 years is long, it was inevitable that people would go mad for it. I think with other games likes Uncharted or Mass Effect, you only have 2 or 3 years between them. GTA however takes it's time and the impact is usually something special being worked on for the entire duration. This one is very, very special. Just so, so fun to play.

Trevor is my favourite. Michael comes along outside and his immediate question to Trevor is 'Are you taking a dump?' as Trevor rises from his Chinese dump posture. Oh how I laughed!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I think you can.

The game is unbelievable.
    Going to try the ol open old drive and insert it into slim. Heard it works but needs to be stabilized. We'll see.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love the fact they have managed to keep everything that was great about GTA intact. Even going back to the original top down versions, it still has that same feel, but obviously now loads better.

Loads of little things that happen in the game seem almost a homage to the old ones, or are things that I thought I wish I could do when playing them!

Thread Information