Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Need so much guidance

welliv asked a few questions on the threads and done a hell of alot of reading. Got some 1-1 lessons booked with a trainer and started to keep a training log on this site. Guess well see how it goes and aim for 12 months from now to be in the ring for the first time

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by manchestermatt1986 View Post
    aim for 12 months from now to be in the ring for the first time
    too long
    aim for 3-4 months
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NVSemin View Post
    too long
    aim for 3-4 months
    Really? im very overweight and not fighting fit yet? is 3-4 months for my first bout realistic?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

too long
    aim for 3-4 months
    Really? im very overweight and not fighting fit yet? is 3-4 months for my first bout realistic?
    Do not be afraid to loose, the record means nothing in amateur
    Experience is far more important, a fight in 3-4 months means more than 12 months of training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

too long
    aim for 3-4 months
    1 year is realistic, I doubt anyone sensible would advise you to compete in 12 weeks.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boyla View Post
    too long
    aim for 3-4 months
    1 year is realistic, I doubt anyone sensible would advise you to compete in 12 weeks.
    He is from 1986 means 27 years. I kinda doubt he trains for a competition

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do not rephrase the conversation.

OP said he would aim to step into the ring in 12 months , a noble goal, you rubbished this goal and said 3-4 months is the right time without knowing anything about the person, health, skill or other commitments, why are you back tracking on your original statements.

What is your reasoning if a man is a certain age he should put on some gloves and get in the ring, I know plenty of 50yo men should they compete in a bout in 12 weeks what is the logic in that.
    I also know a few 27yo who like to drink 7 days a week, should I enter them in a show.

Your comments were to my eyes demoralising and un-constructive.

I would tread more lightly when you advise people to just go for it doesn't matter if you get beat, think long term.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi guys, i appreciate all the comments and hope i havent caused friction. well iv been hard at it now and iv set my 2014 goal to get in the ring and so at least my first and maybe second amateur match. im trying my hardest to get fitter at the moment and i really need to be sparring alot more

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi, i am new to the site and been boxing with intent to get in the ring for a match for 6 month approx. I am 26 and was 15 stone now 14 and still dropping. I am a member of two boxing clubs and upto sparring level now but i seem to get beat.....alot. I seem to take punches alot better than give them. I havent been knocked down or scared yet but i dont seem to connect alot with my own.

Because im fresh and new, older and hopefully a little wiser. I want to learn the 'best' way with a fresh clean canvas for me to build up knowledge.

From everyone on here knowledge, i expect people can tell me what they would have done if they coul;d go back and start a fresh

Please can you guide me towards info that will help me.

Thank you

For right now being comfortable in the ring is the main thing. As long as you know what to expect for the most part. Do you ever get any hard sparring in?

As far as being able to take punches better than giving them, some people are like that when sparring. I think it stems from being timid about punching training partners/friends. Some can tear up in the gym while sparring but shut down in a fight. Others shut down while sparring but they tear up in fights.

Just make sure you keep your defense tight so your blocking punches and not actually eating them. If you have a tight defense I would say your about ready. If your actually getting hit you need some work. Only you (and your coach, but mainly you) will know if your ready.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boyla View Post
    too long
    aim for 3-4 months

You cant pull on flowers to make them grow.

We should leave this decision to him and his coach. We've never seen the dude so much as shadow box so we couldnt possibly know when he should step in the ring.

3-4 months isnt unrealistic depending on where hes at. 6-12 months seems average for a newbie. Everyone developes at their own speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cambay411 View Post
    Hi, i am new to the site and been boxing with intent to get in the ring for a match for 6 month approx. I am 26 and was 15 stone now 14 and still dropping. I am a member of two boxing clubs and upto sparring level now but i seem to get beat.....alot. I seem to take punches alot better than give them. I havent been knocked down or scared yet but i dont seem to connect alot with my own.

Because im fresh and new, older and hopefully a little wiser. I want to learn the 'best' way with a fresh clean canvas for me to build up knowledge.

From everyone on here knowledge, i expect people can tell me what they would have done if they coul;d go back and start a fresh

Thank you

For right now being comfortable in the ring is the main thing. As long as you know what to expect for the most part. Do you ever get any hard sparring in?

As far as being able to take punches better than giving them, some people are like that when sparring. I think it stems from being timid about punching training partners/friends. Some can tear up in the gym while sparring but shut down in a fight. Others shut down while sparring but they tear up in fights.

Just make sure you keep your defense tight so your blocking punches and not actually eating them. If you have a tight defense I would say your about ready. If your actually getting hit you need some work. Only you (and your coach, but mainly you) will know if your ready.
    i hope to god im the timid sparring guy and tear up in the fight. Some one once asked me "are you scared to hit them incase they hit you back harder cause there better" and i replied with "i know they can hit me harder BECAUSE they are better, i respect them and dont want them thinking im trying to prove something, i want to learn but without eating shit constantly cause im trying" thats how i feel when i spar. I look at the guy whos been doing it years and is probably younger than me and i know he's a good boxer, better than me, i want to learn from him and try and hit him but i dont want to land stuff and in return get my face smashed in just so remind me hes better, i already know that.

so my answer is no, i dont get hard sparring in alot. i was just about getting comfortable with being in the ring before i got my tooth knocked out

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cambay411 View Post

Thank you

i hope to god im the timid sparring guy and tear up in the fight. Some one once asked me "are you scared to hit them incase they hit you back harder cause there better" and i replied with "i know they can hit me harder BECAUSE they are better, i respect them and dont want them thinking im trying to prove something, i want to learn but without eating shit constantly cause im trying" thats how i feel when i spar. I look at the guy whos been doing it years and is probably younger than me and i know he's a good boxer, better than me, i want to learn from him and try and hit him but i dont want to land stuff and in return get my face smashed in just so remind me hes better, i already know that.

so my answer is no, i dont get hard sparring in alot. i was just about getting comfortable with being in the ring before i got my tooth knocked out

No need for a lot of hard sparring. imo light sparring is best for working on technique and skills. When you have two people going light, neither have to worry about the getting hit factor therefore both are working on pure skill.

This of course gets you ready for hard sparring, which will get you used to getting hit and hitting back. But it all starts with working on your skills while light sparring.

Dont worry so much about landing a good shot and them coming back harder to prove a point. Thats just something you cant worry about in boxing in a fight or sparring. Does this happen, yes it does. But as long as your not throwing full power and not just unloading punches on someone than you should be ok. If they come back and get a few good shots in, its all in good measure. Afterall its Boxing, thats what happens.

If your eating punches, it sound to me like you need to tighten up your defense. Try out a basic peek a boo stance. I think its awesome for blocking punches especially for beginners. Keep your hands up and elbows nice and tight. Snap your hands back into position after every punch.

When you throw a punch dont keep your head in the middle and keep your chin tucked. Work on landing straight punches until you start to learn how to set punches up. Work the jab.

Some of this might help or it might not. Its hard to say without being there.
    Last edited by cambay411; 01-08-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I appreciate all your comments, I'm with my trainer at 10.30 tomorrow so I'll see how I get on. I also went to a Kung-fu class with a friend who goes all the time on Monday and told him my aim is to have my first amateur bout this year and he says he can help too with certain things. Will help me with stances, fighting southpar and also the snap and punching from the entire body, he mentioned jack Dempsey a few times, sounds promising

Also going to set up a mini gym in a mates garage. Bag, speedball and double end ball

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I appreciate all your comments, I'm with my trainer at 10.30 tomorrow so I'll see how I get on. I also went to a Kung-fu class with a friend who goes all the time on Monday and told him my aim is to have my first amateur bout this year and he says he can help too with certain things. Will help me with stances, fighting southpar and also the snap and punching from the entire body, he mentioned jack Dempsey a few times, sounds promising

Also going to set up a mini gym in a mates garage. Bag, speedball and double end ball

A small exercise that can help with putting snap on your punches.... (Bare with me lol)

Get into your stance.

Square up to a wall (I find doorways and places like that work best so you can line up to the wall as needed for each punch).

Extend your right as if your punching, put your open hand on the wall, push using your hips and shoulders. Hold the flex.

You can do this simulating the jab or hooks as well. It works and stretches the muscles you use to snap those punches.

I hope you understand that as it is described badly lol. I actually learned this from some info someone gave me on here. Would like to give credit where its due but I cant remember who it was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea I'll try that, thanks. After reading up on sugar boxing site iv started trying to throw my shoulder first as well. The teacher at Kung-fu was saying that with a true build up its like power spiralling up from the foot to hip etc then released through the hand. He also said that opening and closing the chest is a technique that isn't used enough. Hard to explain but when you throw a jab the chest opens, when you throw the next punch whether it be cross hook or hook with same hand you close the chest and this keeps going open close open close etc.

Any of this make sense or sound far fetched?

Thread Information