Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Need so much guidance

Hi, i am new to the site and been boxing with intent to get in the ring for a match for 6 month approx. I am 26 and was 15 stone now 14 and still dropping. I am a member of two boxing clubs and upto sparring level now but i seem to get beat.....alot. I seem to take punches alot better than give them. I havent been knocked down or scared yet but i dont seem to connect alot with my own.

Because im fresh and new, older and hopefully a little wiser. I want to learn the 'best' way with a fresh clean canvas for me to build up knowledge.

From everyone on here knowledge, i expect people can tell me what they would have done if they coul;d go back and start a fresh

Please can you guide me towards info that will help me.

Thank you

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Need so much guidance

I dont know, everyone is different.

Get the basics down exact, then forget them.

Dont let your overprotective guard get in the way of your freedom to punch fast or react,loosen up once you are good enough to do so and go on instinct.

Meanwhile know your strengths and also know your weaknesses, height,stocky,long reach,shorter reach than most,fast feet or a strong plodder,flexible easy to stay on balance,fixed easy to catch out of position? The mixtures are many, strengthen the weaknesses as you know how through training and technique eventually you design your style to utilize what you got in every varying situation. Study people who have made it who remind you of you. Have fun in there try to relax into that perfect middle ground or you'll tense up and use up to much oxygen.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by manchestermatt1986 View Post
    Hi, i am new to the site and been boxing with intent to get in the ring for a match for 6 month approx. I am 26 and was 15 stone now 14 and still dropping. I am a member of two boxing clubs and upto sparring level now but i seem to get beat.....alot. I seem to take punches alot better than give them. I havent been knocked down or scared yet but i dont seem to connect alot with my own.

Because im fresh and new, older and hopefully a little wiser. I want to learn the 'best' way with a fresh clean canvas for me to build up knowledge.

From everyone on here knowledge, i expect people can tell me what they would have done if they coul;d go back and start a fresh

Please can you guide me towards info that will help me.

Thank you
    Read books on boxing like:
    Erwin L Haislet

Jack Dempsey

I want to aslo advertise my website, which is based on these books and represents them in a better way, with animated gifs. The link is in my porfile or PM for it
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thankyou both for the replys. I'm going to read the books tonight/tomorrow.

When you say basics are you talking about main punches and footwork. I'm short stocky with a smaller reach. I found when sparring I much prefer being on the inside but take a lot of blows getting there. Which sometimes hurts because I'm not quick, flexible or skilled enough to slip and dodge in

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thankyou both for the replys. I'm going to read the books tonight/tomorrow.

When you say basics are you talking about main punches and footwork. I'm short stocky with a smaller reach. I found when sparring I much prefer being on the inside but take a lot of blows getting there. Which sometimes hurts because I'm not quick, flexible or skilled enough to slip and dodge in
    Learn the punches and how to move around- getting your feet right is the most esstial element of boxing-then learn how to slip. When you are learning to slip, always counter, always punch back.
    Slipping, ducking and parrying punches, when combined with proper footwork, are how you get in close without eating punches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im half way throu the first book from the above link and taking my time to read it and digest what its saying. I can see now why starting at a young age is so important to get it like second nature. When i was younger i used to skateboard alot and the main and hardest thing to master was the ollie. Everything is done from that and once people can slightly do it they rush to move onto the next thing which means there always held back because they never truly learnt to ollie naturally and properly.

I have a fitness gym at my disposle and can go every day, there are no bags or ring but i have weights and squash courts to move around in. I have been spending hours just go backwards and forwards, side to side, pivoting.

If any of you veterans had the chance to go back and start all a fresh, what would you tell me to completely master before moving on.

On another subject i was sparring the other day with a friend who i havent seen for ages and it hit me that i have come along quiet abit, not in a bigheaded way but i was better for sure. but one thing i still have problems with is how much power to put in when sparring, i aim to basically tig/tag the guy but when we get abit closer its hard to thow 3/4 punch combos with out power because im trying to use speed aswell as pivoting/twisting to punch from the legs.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First- the first thing I would do, and would suggest you do- is learn how to punch properly. Learn all your punches and to throw good combinations WITHOUT moving your feet, without stepping. Learn to generate power and maintain balance just by shifting the weight on your feet. When you can do that, and start learning to move, it will make sense and come easier.
    Second, understand that good footwork has fuck all to do with skipping about the ring. Early in his career, Sugar Ray Robinson epitomized the science of wasted movement- Ali had a PhD in the same science. Watch guys like Buddy McGirt and Julio Cesar Chavez and Albert Davila to learn how to move effectively.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im half way throu the first book from the above link and taking my time to read it and digest what its saying. I can see now why starting at a young age is so important to get it like second nature. When i was younger i used to skateboard alot and the main and hardest thing to master was the ollie. Everything is done from that and once people can slightly do it they rush to move onto the next thing which means there always held back because they never truly learnt to ollie naturally and properly.

I have a fitness gym at my disposle and can go every day, there are no bags or ring but i have weights and squash courts to move around in. I have been spending hours just go backwards and forwards, side to side, pivoting.

If any of you veterans had the chance to go back and start all a fresh, what would you tell me to completely master before moving on.

On another subject i was sparring the other day with a friend who i havent seen for ages and it hit me that i have come along quiet abit, not in a bigheaded way but i was better for sure. but one thing i still have problems with is how much power to put in when sparring, i aim to basically tig/tag the guy but when we get abit closer its hard to thow 3/4 punch combos with out power because im trying to use speed aswell as pivoting/twisting to punch from the legs.
    Remember to follow your dream and pray to God for talent
    This is ALL you need

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ell i got up this morning and went to have a 1-1 with a coach i know of who is still fighting but out at the min with a knee problem. Showed him where im upto and he said im solid and have a tight guard and punches flow.

I need to get fitter, lighter on my feet, work more on my balance and sort my head out as in psychologically, he said im too worried about everything that im losing before i start.

but im punching from the hip/feet and twisting. my breathing is good and the years of skateboarding/snowboarding have given my legs balance and i sort them out without thinking about it. but need to be lighter and quicker, im abit heavy and flat footed. still reading the first book, about two thirds throu it

The coach has been drilling me with just 4 different 3 punchcombos so he says to keep my mind clear he will get them into me so i can always use them when needed without thinking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

oh yeam forgot to mention i threw up 3 times whilst training that hard

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NVSemin View Post

This is ALL you need
    Once a an old Jewish man used to pray to God so that he may win the lottery. For years and years he prayed and prayed seeking more wealth, eventually he started swearing and cursing that he hadnt achieved anything. One night in a dream a voice spoke to him "Hymie you old Jew,meet me halfway; buy a fucking ticket"!

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SO you can pray all you like . If you sit in you room you think those prayers will be answered? If you face the back of a cave in belief that the shadows you see on it are real life will you ever get to se the highest mountains? If you train wrong do you think prayer will be the only answer? If you choose the wrong management what then will prayer fix that choice?
    I believe in prayer too but you have to know in 3d reality their are limits as to how much faith and love can help material, light the way. This planet and its sheep are getting more dense and into material so the limits grow against the energy behind it all.

You can deal with and improve even heal fully what is there,spiritually ,mentally,physically.
    But you try growing a missing limb back.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post

This is ALL you need
    Once a an old Jewish man used to pray to God so that he may win the lottery. For years and years he prayed and prayed seeking more wealth, eventually he started swearing and cursing that he hadnt achieved anything. One night in a dream a voice spoke to him "Hymie you old Jew,meet me halfway; buy a fucking ticket"!
    this anecdote is an anecdote. It is ok to ask God for money, but God does not approve gambling and when he is being limited on how to fullfill the request.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SO you can pray all you like . If you sit in you room you think those prayers will be answered? If you face the back of a cave in belief that the shadows you see on it are real life will you ever get to se the highest mountains? If you train wrong do you think prayer will be the only answer? If you choose the wrong management what then will prayer fix that choice?
    I believe in prayer too but you have to know in 3d reality their are limits as to how much faith and love can help material, light the way. This planet and its sheep are getting more dense and into material so the limits grow against the energy behind it all.

You can deal with and improve even heal fully what is there,spiritually ,mentally,physically.
    But you try growing a missing limb back.
    You have to do what you can do realistically and be sure that God does the supernatural part.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is ALL you need
    this anecdote is an anecdote. It is ok to ask God for money, but God does not approve gambling and when he is being limited on how to fullfill the request.
    That was a joke, he was too Jewish to buy a ticket.

I can explain it.

Thread Information