Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Need so much guidance

Quote Originally Posted by manchestermatt1986 View Post
    Yea I'll try that, thanks. After reading up on sugar boxing site iv started trying to throw my shoulder first as well. The teacher at Kung-fu was saying that with a true build up its like power spiralling up from the foot to hip etc then released through the hand. He also said that opening and closing the chest is a technique that isn't used enough. Hard to explain but when you throw a jab the chest opens, when you throw the next punch whether it be cross hook or hook with same hand you close the chest and this keeps going open close open close etc.

Any of this make sense or sound far fetched?

It definately doesnt sound far fetched. I will expieriment with it tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So been practicing different wayt to try and snap my punch, cant tell if im getting the snap but my trainer said my left, right hook and cross have all felt stronger this week.

Been doing alot of foot work with resitance bands tied round my feet and keeping the tension on

Also found that my overhand right is 'my punch' as the trainer said. So been drilling into me a jab, cross, left body hook then overhand right to face.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So been practicing different wayt to try and snap my punch, cant tell if im getting the snap but my trainer said my left, right hook and cross have all felt stronger this week.

Been doing alot of foot work with resitance bands tied round my feet and keeping the tension on

Also found that my overhand right is 'my punch' as the trainer said. So been drilling into me a jab, cross, left body hook then overhand right to face.
    Every right handed fighter, every trainer will tell you that the 'over hand" right is your punch. Every place in the world.
    Because you are right handed. Think about it.
    If he is teaching you anything, your left hook will be your best punch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea i understand. ill not look into it too much then when he says it. Do you think that means the trainer is just being 'nice' to keep motivation or i could do with looking for a more techincal teacher?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea i understand. ill not look into it too much then when he says it. Do you think that means the trainer is just being 'nice' to keep motivation or i could do with looking for a more techincal teacher?

For now just keep us updated. We are not there with you to really make any judgements.

I will say he should have spotted you leaning with your punches immediately and corrected it. But like I said your new and we arent there. Keep us updated.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know what he is teaching you. He could very well be looking to motivate you.
    Keep this in mind, for your own benefit...When you throw a real strong right hand, it should put you in a spot to throw a real strong left hook. It sets up the punch. Now, if your feet aren't right to make that happen, then your right hand isn't exactly right, no matter how hard you think you are throwing it.
    In boxing, the third punch tells. By that I mean, it tells the truth about your balance. Jab, right, hook. That is the foundation of it all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I understand that now. We've been working on alot of combinations. Im upto 12 punch combos now and i sometimes shuffle my feet, aswell as pivoting, to keep balance and move with punches.

One thing that has happened this week which id like advice on..

iv been sparring last few weeks and loving it, each week my trainer has been getting heavier and heavier to condition me to get used to punches. I missed one yesterday and it met my chin quiet flush he checked i was ok and we laughed but i had to drop to a knee till my head stopped spinning. I carried on sparring and still got stuck in, but how do you deal with the ringing and i had a headache for about 24 hours. Is that normal? i could of been slightly dehydrated also becuase after trainming i basically collapsed at 4pm on th couch sleeping on and off then had my meal at 7pm before bed at 9. so hardly drank anything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I understand that now. We've been working on alot of combinations. Im upto 12 punch combos now and i sometimes shuffle my feet, aswell as pivoting, to keep balance and move with punches.

One thing that has happened this week which id like advice on..

iv been sparring last few weeks and loving it, each week my trainer has been getting heavier and heavier to condition me to get used to punches. I missed one yesterday and it met my chin quiet flush he checked i was ok and we laughed but i had to drop to a knee till my head stopped spinning. I carried on sparring and still got stuck in, but how do you deal with the ringing and i had a headache for about 24 hours. Is that normal? i could of been slightly dehydrated also becuase after trainming i basically collapsed at 4pm on th couch sleeping on and off then had my meal at 7pm before bed at 9. so hardly drank anything.

Definitely normal to have a headache. I find 800 milligrams of ibuprophen works wonders but I have to wait until my head starts to really hurt. If I take it as soon as my head starts to hurt it doesn't seem to help much. My headaches come on a couple hours later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im so glad you said that, i thought i had a weak jaw or i was just soft haha. iv hurt myself countless times skateboarding and snowboarding, even broke bones, sprains etc but i panicked thinking theres no way i can be a boxer if i cant take a punch.

the trainer has got me hitting my jaw gently daily to condition it?
    also when were training he puts on hte big kicking pads for mma and hits me hard while i have my guard up either hooks or jabs, says its to get used to my head getting knocked, my vision being snapped away from what im looking at and to keep my eyes open

anything else i can do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

trainer has dropped a bombshell on me today and said he thinks that my boxing is tight and im just overweight and heavy on my feet. He wants to put me in a local even in april/may.

I nearly shot back when he said so soon. he says win or lose its the experience and to get me used to the ring. i have got to lose weight thou, do i really need to be up at 5am running because i start work at 6am??

also iv took a step back and looked at my diet and i cant get it correct. im not eating enough calories but what im eating isnt good enought nutrtion either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you are not ready, then you are not ready, however april/march is plenty of time to get in shape.
    You do not have to run in the morning, you can run at night or even during lunch time or at the weekends, whilst running is the best accessory work for boxing, it is by no means essential, cycling, swimming, skipping all have similar benefits.
    As you get fitter, you will naturally lose weight, do not sweat the small stuff, if you are working hard in the gym and avoiding junk food and soda, you should lose weight.
    Boxing is a hobby for most people that participate, train as much as you want as long as you are having fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks boyla. Well im 5'7 and 14 stone. Iv come down from a very unhealthy 15 stone but feel like if im put into a weight division the other lad will be very strong.

Im on a good clean diet and i hardly drink alcoho. my down side is food, i train hard but i eat hard. probably the perfect candidate to gain size which i have done before slightly.

Im dying to get in the ring and have a match but im realisitc and want to be fit and light enough.

im training again tomorrow, i might try and film some of it.

Thread Information