Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: new age cross fit style ttraining for boxers?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default new age cross fit style ttraining for boxers?

Could someone explain why this would be good for boxers?

I've seen more and more fighters doing the MMA type exercises. I tend to think this energy would be better used in boxing direct exercises. My theory that it would be better served that way has been backed up so far by every guy I see doing it gets beat on and rather decisively at that. But they always look great on the scales.

Can someone please explain why it's gaining traction and why in theory it should be useful?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it has to do with overall fitness, meaning better cardio. I've never seen any studies saying boxers or MMA fighters are fitter than the other, but maybe they're out there.
    Now I'm interested, I'll do some checking too.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: new age cross fit style ttraining for boxers?

I don't think that system was intended for use by professional fighters, I think it was designed for the average Joe's fitness. Obviously a boxer must spend there energy and time training as specifically for their sport as possible.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MMA fighters and boxers require different types of Conditioning.

There's being in shape for standup and being in shape for grappling.

A guy can be in great shape for standup but be simultaneously out of shape for grappling.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    MMA fighters and boxers require different types of Conditioning.

There's being in shape for standup and being in shape for grappling.

A guy can be in great shape for standup but be simultaneously out of shape for grappling.
    I agree, that's why I'm surprised to see more boxers doing the hitting a tire with the sledgehammer and that heavy rope exercise etcetera. It seems good for general fitness but when you're trying to perform a specific task like boxing I think the time would be better served with boxing specific exercises.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Y'know, long ago up until around the 1940s, boxers wrestled in training camp as part of their conditioning.

During the bare knuckle era under London Prize Ring rules, some standing grappling and throws were allowed, so fighters trained grappling and wrestled in the boxing gyms of the 1800s.
    After the permanent switch in 1892 to gloved boxing under Marquess of Queensberry rules, boxers continued to wrestle in training camp for a few more decades up until about the mid 1940s when it started phasing out.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed. What a lot of MMA fans think is boxing was always just a limited style of fighting with the fists.

What the idiots don't realise is when it was developed by James Figg it included not only wrestling but even fencing! lol

The bare knucle boxing that emerged pure 20 years later by Jack Broughton all the way through to John Sullivan was close to a no holds barred fight combining wrestling and boxing.

Today as part of boxing preparation, fighters do move around the ring in a clinch still to develop the stamina necessary to withstand the energy sapping that regular clinches will put on the athlete under and train them to go with the flow of the opponent and not resist unncecessarily wasting energy, to look for opportunities to score in the clinch and to accustom them to being in close to their opponents. There is certainly merit to this type of training. I even agree it is more valuable than the weightlifting component to the fighters preparation.

Going back to the MMA enthusiasts it eludes them that we took something similar to what they have now years ago and took out the gay bits, refining the most important, skilful and exciting element of it. The punching!
    Last edited by Max Power; 12-17-2013 at 06:33 AM.

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Agreed. What a lot of MMA fans think is boxing was always just a limited style of fighting with the fists.

What the idiots don't realise is when it was developed by James Figg it included not only wrestling but even fencing! lol

The bare knucle boxing that emerged pure 20 years later by Jack Broughton all the way through to John Sullivan was close to a no holds barred fight combining wrestling and boxing.

Today as part of boxing preparation, fighters do move around the ring in a clinch still to develop the stamina necessary to withstand the energy sapping that regular clinches will put on the athlete under and train them to go with the flow of the opponent and not resist unncecessarily wasting energy, to look for opportunities to score in the clinch and to accustom them to being in close to their opponents. There is certainly merit to this type of training. I even agree it is more valuable than the weightlifting component to the fighters preparation.

Going back to the MMA enthusiasts it eludes them that we took something similar to what they have now years ago and took out the gay bits, refining the most important, skilful and exciting element of it. The punching!
    Some of those boxing trainers out there seem to think it has some merit or we would not be having this conversation. Lets keep an open mind, it might even be better for the boxers which is the most important thing to me.
    Povetkin would have been a lot better off with some grappling experience against Wald. You never can tell when you will run into another Luis Pabon.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

crossfit was created by a fat middle aged man who has never played a sport in his life. He doesnt even do crossfit. Crossfit is good if you want to do a bunch of shit really quickly while making yourself look as retarded as possible. All it will do is get your endurance up, you will not get stronger, faster or punch harder. nothing specific about it

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The most important exercises that must be performed by a boxer are'...

1. Sparring
    2. Focus Mitts
    3. Double End Bag (not speed ball)
    4. Shadow Boxing (but with control because it causes injury)
    5. Skipping

If these things aren't staple, your doing something wrong.

Lennox Lewis

Thread Information