Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How is Tyson not the greatest heavyweight puncher?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How is Tyson not the greatest heavyweight puncher?

He's in my top 3 because of his delivery of punch, and all aspects together.

But in terms of pure power alone, it's close between a lot of fighters.

Frank Bruno had an absolutely, devastatingly powerful right hand, but nowhere near the speed, agility or technique Tyson had. I remember reading something about a test they did with Bruno on his punch and the power was apparently incredibly high.

Lots of people have power but Tyson knew how to use it.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post

Agreed 100%. In terms of pure power, I think there are probably a bunch of guys that trump Tyson. Guys like Foreman and Shavers had more pure power than him I'd be willing to bet.

If we're talking about the overall force of the punch, I'd say Tyson's speed and technique probably leveled it out though.

But who are your other top 3 punchers, or specifically the ones you would rate above Tyson at HW?

El Kabong Guest

Tyson is up there, fast hands, good power with both hands.

Joe Louis
    George Foreman
    Lennox Lewis
    Rocky Marciano
    Jack Dempsey
    Vitali Klitschko
    Wladimir Klitschko
    Ron Lyle
    Earnie Shavers

There are plenty to consider, but I'd say Prime Tyson is no lower than Top 5. I would put Louis, Marciano, and Foreman at or around the same ranking...not much between those 4. All knocked fighters out consistently, all had KO wins vs some very solid competition at the very top of the division.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    There are plenty to consider, but I'd say Prime Tyson is no lower than Top 5. I would put Louis, Marciano, and Foreman at or around the same ranking...not much between those 4.
    What's the logic for ranking Foreman above Tyson? He had godlike power in his fists, but his technique was awful, he was very slow and inaccurate with his punching. He was just fortunate enough to have two wrecking balls in his fists and destroyed whatever they managed to land on.

I think Louis and Marciano are great names to consider, but I think Tyson's superior speed and power would put him over the top of those guys.

El Kabong Guest

George Foreman had poor technique to start with, but 68 KO's out of 76 wins shows how long he carried his power and how good he was at finishing a fight.

Foreman 89.47% KO rate
    Tyson 88% KO rate

They're closer than you want to give Foreman credit for.

And just for shits and giggles

Louis 78.7% (lower than I expected honestly)
    Marciano 87.7%
    Vitali 91.11%
    Wlad 83.6%
    Shavers 91.89%
    Lyle 72%
    Dempsey 77.27% (lower than I expected again)

So there are the actual KO percentages

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He may have better way to delver the punch but hell Foreman as slow as he was fucking put people way just by tapping them. I think Foreman's gifts make him better heavyweight puncher because he didn't even have to land to well or through fast to knock you out. Also Tyson when faced with a great fighter in Holyfeild i don't think he mange to hurt Holyfeild as much as Foreman did and that man was like 40 i think maybe older not sure exact age so i don't have a problem with Foreman being better puncher or rated higher because he didn't need technique and he was able knock people out in his late 40's.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

George Foreman had poor technique to start with, but 68 KO's out of 76 wins shows how long he carried his power and how good he was at finishing a fight.

Foreman 89.47% KO rate
    Tyson 88% KO rate

Marciano 87.7%
    Vitali 91.11%
    Wlad 83.6%
    Shavers 91.89%
    Lyle 72%

You missed out the great Bruno from your list.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Foreman 89.47% KO rate
    Tyson 88% KO rate

Marciano 87.7%
    Vitali 91.11%
    Wlad 83.6%
    Shavers 91.89%
    Lyle 72%

I'm not really interested in KO percentage because it isn't really relevant to who was the better puncher because there are a ton of other factors that enter into a guy's KO percentage as well.

I'm talking about the whole package, not necessarily who hits the hardest, who had their power the longest, who knocked out more guys, ect.

We all know Tyson, Foreman, Marciano, Dempsey, Shavers, Louis, ect were great KO artists. But watching them and examining everything: technique, speed, power, combination ability, the variety of punches used effectively, ect, who could possibly be a better "puncher" than Tyson?

There are guys in that list that no doubt trump in in certain aspects (Foreman probably trumps him in pure power), but when added all up who has a better combinaton of all those factors than Tyson?

El Kabong Guest

I understand that, Tyson was intriguing because he threw punches the way a middleweight would only he was a heavyweight and they landed with fury

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

Agreed 100%. In terms of pure power, I think there are probably a bunch of guys that trump Tyson. Guys like Foreman and Shavers had more pure power than him I'd be willing to bet.

If we're talking about the overall force of the punch, I'd say Tyson's speed and technique probably leveled it out though.

But who are your other top 3 punchers, or specifically the ones you would rate above Tyson at HW?
    Honestly I'd say Foreman and Shavers, but there's some others like Bruno, Briggs, etc, but those guys are just power really.

I don't rate Marciano up there based on his era of very small heavyweights, granted he could bang but what would really have done against a Wlad Klitschko?
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

El Kabong Guest

I don't rate Marciano up there based on his era of very small heavyweights, granted he could bang but what would really have done against a Wlad Klitschko?
    It's not a matter of how he'd do vs today's heavyweights it's about the power he had and man did he ever have it. Not only that he had some MASSIVE KO's late in fights where he'd plant a punch square on his opponent's jaw and put them to sleep.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's not a matter of how he'd do vs today's heavyweights it's about the power he had and man did he ever have it. Not only that he had some MASSIVE KO's late in fights where he'd plant a punch square on his opponent's jaw and put them to sleep.
    Agreed, Wlad gets late knock outs but they are generally down to battering the opponent until they have very little to fight back with.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Agreed, Wlad gets late knock outs but they are generally down to battering the opponent until they have very little to fight back with.
    I was talking about Marciano.

Wlad has power and belongs on the list as much as anyone else. Just because you KO people later in fights doesn't mean you lack power....you've seen what Wlad has done vs guys who have never lost, never been down, never been KO'd and he is the first to stop them...he has power

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Battering or holding and headlocking

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Battering or holding and headlocking
    If holding causes so many KO's why didn't Ali have more?

Thread Information