Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Roy Jones would have beat all these idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zhubin View Post
    I cannot give Roy a pass on cleaning out today's top tier when he didn't do it in his own day, whatever and whomever was to blame. It's just too wide a brush for me to paint with. Roy missed a few chances to stamp greatness in stone from where I sit. Pazienza, Brannon..come on. His wins over Hill, Toney and Hopkins were tops for me but I really think he had Toney psyched out before the bell even sounded. Hopkins was green in the sence of mass spotlight exposure compared to Jones as he was fresh off headlining cards on BET ffs but his skills were obvious but far more seek & destroy than the thinking chess player he became.
    Who exactly is today's "top tier"? Aside from Ward...you are going to tell me guys like GGG and Stevenson would match Roy Jones?! If we are going to criticize Roy's resume....who the fuck have Stevenson and GGG fought up to this point. And i don't understand why people keep trying to diminish his wins over Toney and Hopkins. While Hopkins might have been a bit "green"...it's not like he developed a ton more...he has always been a guy who relies on craftiness anyways. No version of Hopkins would beat a prime Roy...because Roy just had to much on him physically. Toney was psyched out?! Who cares?! He lost the fight he came into as the favorite. One guy performed better...end of. As far as the guys Roy SHOULD have fought. It's a two way street. Boxing is a BUSINESS. Promoters, money, venue...all play into shit. But it's just so much easier to just he was ducking fighters.
    Its a personal observation so lighten up. I didn't diminish shit..what part of tops for me didn't you get...just pointed out what I saw without having my nose so far up his arse that I couldn't see a point of view. Toney seemed shook, around here that's a compliment to the guy he is facing. His speed and flat feet would not have kept up with Jones reflex no matter what. Hopkins was not the 'prime' fighter then he became, guys mature and evolve skill and watching him in 94 or 04 or 14 its obvious he changed. Fight wasn't close and Roy got it when it mattered as clearly he was further gone in rematch. It's not all sunshine and unicorns walking on water for any fighter and every record or era. I'm the last guy to defend a chump like Stevenson but Roy and Golovkin can both say they have carried opponents in the ring and faced a fair share of mediocre mandatories and showcases to make the crowd go ohhhh. It very much is a two way street. I get tired of seeing modern eras as well as eras we never lived dismissed so easily on a few chosen few "greats" or "future -enter so and so's name here-" who still had or have a house to clean. He was a phenom, he wasn't a fookin god.
    I never said he was a god. Almost any fighter past or present...great champion or not...can have his resume picked apart. I am just pointing out that very often fights don't get made because of the business/political aspect of the sport or simply timing...it doesn't have to mean a fighter is scared or ducking people.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I cannot give Roy a pass on cleaning out today's top tier when he didn't do it in his own day, whatever and whomever was to blame. It's just too wide a brush for me to paint with. Roy missed a few chances to stamp greatness in stone from where I sit. Pazienza, Brannon..come on. His wins over Hill, Toney and Hopkins were tops for me but I really think he had Toney psyched out before the bell even sounded. Hopkins was green in the sence of mass spotlight exposure compared to Jones as he was fresh off headlining cards on BET ffs but his skills were obvious but far more seek & destroy than the thinking chess player he became.
    Who exactly is today's "top tier"? Aside from Ward...you are going to tell me guys like GGG and Stevenson would match Roy Jones?! If we are going to criticize Roy's resume....who the fuck have Stevenson and GGG fought up to this point. And i don't understand why people keep trying to diminish his wins over Toney and Hopkins. While Hopkins might have been a bit "green"...it's not like he developed a ton more...he has always been a guy who relies on craftiness anyways. No version of Hopkins would beat a prime Roy...because Roy just had to much on him physically. Toney was psyched out?! Who cares?! He lost the fight he came into as the favorite. One guy performed better...end of. As far as the guys Roy SHOULD have fought. It's a two way street. Boxing is a BUSINESS. Promoters, money, venue...all play into shit. But it's just so much easier to just he was ducking fighters.
    Its a personal observation so lighten up. I didn't diminish shit..what part of tops for me didn't you get...just pointed out what I saw without having my nose so far up his arse that I couldn't see a point of view. Toney seemed shook, around here that's a compliment to the guy he is facing. His speed and flat feet would not have kept up with Jones reflex no matter what. Hopkins was not the 'prime' fighter then he became, guys mature and evolve skill and watching him in 94 or 04 or 14 its obvious he changed. Fight wasn't close and Roy got it when it mattered as clearly he was further gone in rematch. It's not all sunshine and unicorns walking on water for any fighter and every record or era. I'm the last guy to defend a chump like Stevenson but Roy and Golovkin can both say they have carried opponents in the ring and faced a fair share of mediocre mandatories and showcases to make the crowd go ohhhh. It very much is a two way street. I get tired of seeing modern eras as well as eras we never lived dismissed so easily on a few chosen few "greats" or "future -enter so and so's name here-" who still had or have a house to clean. He was a phenom, he wasn't a fookin god.
    I never said he was a god. Almost any fighter past or present...great champion or not...can have his resume picked apart. I am just pointing out that very often fights don't get made because of the business/political aspect of the sport or simply timing...it doesn't have to mean a fighter is scared or ducking people.
    I know man, i just think sometimes people miss a record fight per fight and we can gloss over. but yeh, Its ironic and unfortunate as Showtime and Hbo are dead set on history repeating itself but now with Kovalev v Stevenson. Jones was given the largest network contract in the sports history up to that point and they were not, just as King was not, interested or in need of given fans the biggest fights possible.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Roy had fought at least a few of his too challengers and only missed a couple, then I might agree that he wasn't sucking people. But for a guy claiming to be the greatest he failed to completely clean out any weight class he fought in. He was a phenom and a great fighter, but he was too business oriented and didn't have the love for fighting and devotion to be great. You can try and whine and get insulted all you want, but the truth is the guy was a more talented version of Donald Curry. Looks AMAZING blowing out no hopers until he takes a good one on the chin and everyone realizes the guy can't take a punch. Roy's resume is not impressive when you take his quality of opposition I to account.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jones fought some pretty good guys and was able to move through weight classes but did miss out on a good majority of people he did not fight. But alot of them were across the pound the names that stick out are Hill, Hopkins, and Tony which are great names but he missed out on good amount of people.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    LOL @ Roy beating everyone in history at 175. I think you people are confusing speed and reflexes for technical skill. As soon as Roy's reflexes failed him, he got knocked out.

Who cares. I'm not talking about the Roy Jones sans reflexes. I'm talking about the Roy Jones with the craziest reflexes ever who was damn near impossible to hit clean.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    he missed out on good amount of people.
    Again, I have to ask did he miss out or did those guys miss out? Roy was the undisputed #1 p4p in the world of boxing... why should he have to chase these guys? Why should he have to sign over his rights to Don King for the priviledge of fighting Nigel Benn? Why should he have to go over to someone's home country to fight them?

These guys should have been BEGGING to fight Roy Jones, because Roy was the man and if they whipped Roy they would have elevated their careers and legacies sky high. But they didn't. They all either priced themselves out or came up with conditions/stipulations that they had no business making.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People keep bringing up the fact that Bernard Hopkins was green. Which is true, he had been boxing for only 5 years and was new on the championship scene, fair enough.

But people forget that Roy beat him with, essentially, one hand. In the immortal words of Roy Jones himself...

"When I beat Bernard Hopkins, and won the IBF
    The right was hurt, beat him with the left YALL MUSSA FORGOT"

Eubank, Benn... are people insinuating that Roy was afraid of these guys? The James Toney that Roy fought was TWICE the fighter that those two were, and he would have DESTROYED those guys. Roy fought Toney when Toney was 44-0, WELL seasoned, and was absolutely KILLING guys with brutal KO's. If Roy was willing to fight Toney, you're not going to sell me that he was unwilling to fight Eubank and Benn.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Didn't say it was his fault the fights never happened just saying other greats pretty much fought everyone worth a shit. He just didn't end up clearing out his division got close in the lhw i mean name a person Charles, Moore and Spinks did't fight they pretty much fought cleared it out then some.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Didn't say it was his fault the fights never happened just saying other greats pretty much fought everyone worth a shit. He just didn't end up clearing out his division got close in the lhw i mean name a person Charles, Moore and Spinks did't fight they pretty much fought cleared it out then some.
    I agree add Foster to that list.

However could you see anyone beat him at his peak Benn, Eubank, G Man, Dariuz... ?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did ANYONE think Douglas would beat Tyson? How many people thought Benn would beat G-Man? That argument makes no sense. Should Roy had been favored? Yes. Was it a sure win? No way. Roy didn't miss one or two guys, he missed all of his top challengers at any weight that he was in. The guy had amazing gifts, but he beat few quality guys, n only one guy ranked P4P. This isn't to say that Roy wasn't great n was a bum, but for huggers like zhubin or any of u clowns to say that he was a GOAT or that no one today stood a chance to beat him, u don't know the sport.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Did ANYONE think Douglas would beat Tyson? How many people thought Benn would beat G-Man? That argument makes no sense. Should Roy had been favored? Yes. Was it a sure win? No way. Roy didn't miss one or two guys, he missed all of his top challengers at any weight that he was in. The guy had amazing gifts, but he beat few quality guys, n only one guy ranked P4P. This isn't to say that Roy wasn't great n was a bum, but for huggers like zhubin or any of u clowns to say that he was a GOAT or that no one today stood a chance to beat him, u don't know the sport.
    Take it easy mate, this is boxing every opponent has a chance especially a puncher like Benn which would have been very interesting. Jones never did travel abroad but he would say he did not have to as he was the Man.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy's resume is underrated.. aside from Hopkins and toney, he beat many good mandatory opponents and highly ranked fighters.

Its not that he fought ordinary fighters.. he made good fighters look ordinary because he was head and shoulders above the rest..

Benn and eubank lol.. Roy could have played basketball during lunchtime, fuck 3 groupies in the dressing room, then proceed to beat those two guys on the same night..

Laugh @ eubank competing with jones.. the guy always reached with his right hand and there was nothing out of the ordinary about his game that jones has never seen..

Eubank is overrated..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    When did i ever say he was GOAT? Where in any of my posts did i say that? The original subject of this thread was how he would fare against today's guys. You are a moron. Give it a rest........buddy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How would Roy do against:

Spinks
    Foster
    Qawi
    Moorer

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Jones never did travel abroad but he would say he did not have to as he was the Man.
    For sure, and people have to remember that Roy had a very good reason to not want to travel abroad because his fight vs Park Si Hung was the biggest robbery in the history of boxing.

The goal every boxer should have is to be the best. Roy attained that goal, he was the undisputed #1 p4p in the world and for 15 years was untouchable. He had the power and he didn't need any of those guys. Those guys should have been itching to fight him, but they weren't. They were happy staying away from him and making their big paydays in their own countries against much lesser opposition.

The only way they would fight Roy is for these stipulations, and that to me says they had absolutely no confidence in beating him and needed some kind of edge. Don't hate Roy for that. Fact is, he did some unbelievable things to some really sick opposition.

Thread Information