Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Book on Jeff 'Candy Slim' Merrritt

Quote Originally Posted by Scott22 View Post
    I like reading things like this. Good job
    More Information

Drew 'Bundini' Brown was Jeff Merritt's 'advisor' for 1973 and 1974.

Bundini came to Oakland on February 22nd ~ with Jeff, Don King and Richie Giachetti
    for the March 4, 1974 bout against Henry Clark.

Don King wanted Bundini Brown along for inspiration, and to watch Jeff and 'stall' his late night
    activities.

As Bundini Brown stated
    "Jeff is his own worst enemy. He has all the talent in the World, as long as he keeps his head straight.
    He has the potential to be a Heavyweight Champion."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 07-19-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jeff 'Candy Slim' Merritt

In 1973,

Jeff became a 'legend'.

First > Don King bought Jeff's contract from Chris Dundee.

Second > Jeff 'fractured' Earnie Shavers jaw in a July 16th sparring session at Grossinger's Country Club in upstate New York.

Third > Jeff scored a TKO 1 over Ernie Terrell on September 10th at Madison Square Garden, New York.

Fourth > Jeff scored a KO 3 over 'rock-jawed' Ron Stander on November 28th in Cleveland.

Fifth > Jeff was getting 'a ton' of Press, and was being proclaimed as the 'future' of the Heavyweight Division.

As January 1974, Jeff was now rated as the #5 Heavyweight.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 07-20-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jeff Merritt vs. Henry Clark 'II' {Scheduled for Monday ~ March 4, 1974}

Jeff and Henry had met {4 1/2 years} earlier, back in August 18, 1969 at Madison Square Garden.

At the time, Jeff {Age; 22 years, 7 months} was 10-1-0 {7 KO's}.

Henry {Age; 24 years, 5 months} with a record of 17-5-3 {4 KO's} was brought in as a 'stiff test' for Jeff,
    as Henry had never been knocked off his feet, 'ever'.

Henry had already been ranked as high as #5 by the WBA in July 1968, before losing by {L TKO 7} to
    former Champion ~ Sonny Liston in July 1968.

The 1st-bout between Jeff and Henry was competitive, but Jeff won a 'solid' 8-Round Unanimous Decision.

At the Friday Night ~ March 1st, 1974 Press Conference

Henry Clark >
    "Our 1st-bout was close, and Jeff won a disputed 8-Round Split-Decision at Madison Square Garden. Jeff was living
    in New York City, and he was their guy. That win was 'tainted'. Anywhere else, and it would have been a Draw."

Jeff Merritt >
    "Split-Decision my ass. I won every Round of that fight. I've never been involved in a Split-Decision in my life. Every
    fight that I've had that has been a Decision, has been a convincing one in my favor. I practically chased you {Henry} out
    of the Ring in the 1st and 2nd Rounds."

"I was so good in that fight in August 1969, that I scared the 'shit' out of Floyd Patterson {who was supposed to fight me in October 1969},
    into staying retired for another 12-Months {1-Year}."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 07-21-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are basically telling us the book

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oakland, California

Friday Night ~ March 1, 1974

Jeff Merritt vs. Henry Clark 'II' ~ Press Conference

Jeff Merrit>
    "In our 1st-fight, I was only a 22 year-old kid with 11-fights under my belt. And I still beat the Crap out of him."

"I nailed Henry with a left-hook to the jaw in the 1st-Round, and he back-pedaled so fast, I thought he was going
    to back up all the way back to San Francisco."

"I chased him all over the Ring in the 2nd-Round after I nailed him with right-cross to the jaw. His legs wobbled like
    Jelly on a hot piece of toast."

"Unfortunately, I cracked a bone in my right-wrist in the 3rd-Round, and I couldn't use that hand for the rest of the fight,
    so I just jabbed the Hell out of him throughout the rest of the night with my left-hand. He won maybe one round
    {the 6th-Round}, after I had the fight in the bag."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 07-21-2014 at 01:13 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jeff Merritt vs. Henry Clark

On Henry Clark,

The 29 year-old San Francisco veteran with a record of 28-8-3 {8 KO's} was ranked as the #18 Heavyweight.

Henry had been part of George Foreman's sparring team. Henry had spent 5-Weeks in Houston, Texas - {January and February}
    before coming back to the Pleasanton, California Camp on February 24th. Henry was helping George prepare for his upcoming
    March 26, 1974 Title Defense against Ken Norton.

Henry Clark >
    "I go 4-Rounds with George every day. We have 'Wars' in the Gym, and he can't put me down. So if anybody thinks that I'm afraid
    of getting back into the Ring with Jeff Merritt, they have a screw loose."

"Nobody hits harder than George. Now Jeff is a good fighter, and he is a sharp puncher. But, he's not in George's league as power goes.
    George has superior physical strength and can break your forearm with a punch. Jeff may be a little sharper puncher, but that's about it."

"Why did I take this fight. It's getting late in my career, and I need a big win to get a Title fight. After I beat Jeff on Monday Night, I'll be
    next in the line for a Championship Bout, or a major $$$ fight."

"I haven't been in the Ring in nearly 9-Months {Last bout; June 26, 1973} but I've been in the Gym 5-days a week over that stretch.
    I'm in shape and ready to go. As a matter of fact, I feel a little light at 215 lbs."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archie Moore chimes in >

"They've asked me if Jeff Merritt is a great fighter, or a well promoted fighter. Well, he's better than he was. When I first came in to
    Cleveland to help him in March 1973, he was out-of-shape. But after 3-Months {by June 1973} of working with me, he was in great
    shape and punching hard."

"He's getting better. He can hit, and is a big puncher. Yes, he busted Earnie Shavers jaw in July 1973, and that has made Jeff a
    'Gym Session Legend'. But there are questions about his desire. We'll see Monday Night, as Henry is a good 'Bay Area Fighter' who
    doesn't scare easily. He'll fight back hard after he gets hit, even though he's not a big banger."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 07-21-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Monday Night ~ March 4, 1974

Jeff 'Candy Clim' Merritt vs. Henry 'Baby Face' Clark

Oakland Coliseum Arena ~ Oakland, California

* Attendance........ 1572
    * Gate Receipts.... $11,414

The Fight

Jeff Merritt charged from his corner, and came 3/4 of the way across the Ring, where he met Henry Clark 'head on', who was
    coming out of his corner.

Jeff wound up and landed a grazing left-right, as Henry countered with a left-jab and right-hand.

Jeff then wound up again, just as Henry countered and exploded a powerful left-hook that landed on Jeff's exposed chin.

Henry's punch landed 'flush' on Jeff's chin, sending him reeling backwards across Center-Ring and down on his haunhes.

Jeff got up to his feet at the '8-Count' as Referee - Tony Bostich gave him the 'Mandatory Count'.

Jeff was 'dazed and confused' as he got up on wobbly legs. The action continued at the {0:19 Mark}.

Henry came at Jeff with a blaze, and landed a vicious volley of punches that sent Jeff reeling across
    the Ring and to the right-side Ropes.

Jeff 'stunned', tried to grab the top Rope-strand with his left hand as he was reeling backwards from
    a punch. At that moment, Henry unloaded a vicious right-hand to Jeff's exposed chin.

Jeff then crashed backwards to the canvas in a heap at the {0:37 Mark}.

Referee - Tony Bosnich started the count, and as he got to '10' he called it over as Jeff was just trying
    to get up.

'Winner' > Henry Clark by Knockout @ 0:47 of the 1st Round.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George Foreman who was in attendance commented >

"That was supposed to be the guy that I was afraid of. They offered me $50,000 back in July 1971 to fight him. I should
    have taken it."

"Now Henry moves up to the next slot. After I get rid of Ken Norton on March 26th, we'll see if we can put together a bout
    between Henry and myself here in Oakland. With that Knockout tonight, he earned a Championship Bout."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 07-21-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don King

Heavyweight Fighters
    * Earnie Shavers
    * Jeff Merritt

A 'disaster' for Don King, and his Cleveland-based stable.

Earnie Shavers, the 'KO Artist' otherwise known as 'The Dark Destroyer'. Riding high after his June 18, 1973 'Kaboom' {KO 1}
    over Jimmy Ellis at Madison Square Garden, is '1-Bout' away from challenging George Foreman.

Earnie gets his jaw 'de-hinged' by Jeff Merritt in the infamous Sunday Afternoon ~ July 15, 1973 sparring session
    at Grossinger's Country Club in upstate, New York, putting Earnie out-of-action for the schedule July 25, 1973 bout
    with Jerry Quarry at Madison Square Garden.

Earnie comes back 5-Months later, only to get 'blitzed' {KO'd in 1} by Jerry Quarry on December 13, 1973 at Madison Square Garden.

One-month later, Earnie abruptly retires {temporarily} on January 17, 1974.

Jeff Merritt is now the 'new' boy, following an exciting 1973 campaign, which includes 'fracturing'
    Earnie Shavers jaw on July 15th.

Then Jeff scores a 'shocking and stunning' {TKO 1} over Ernie Terrell on September 10th at Madison Square Garden.

Then 'wallopis' Ron Stander by a TKO 3 on November 28th in Cleveland, which included flooring
    'The Council Bluff's Butcher' {3-times}, something that had never been done before.

Prior to Jeff 'Candy Slim' Merritt fighting Henry Clark on March 4, 1974 and at the Oakland Coliseum Arena,
    Don King said that he was going to move his Headquarters to the Bay Area, and put San Francisco and Oakland
    on the map as the Heavyweight Capitol of the World.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 07-21-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did you know Ali beat Shavers?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Did you know Ali beat Shavers?
    Did you know, that Earnie Shavers '1st' retired on January 17, 1974.

Yes, I believe Muhammad Ali won the 15-Round Decision over Earnie Shavers in 1977, but got his brain dislodged in the process.

Agree.......
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 07-21-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tuesday ~ March 5, 1974

Oakland, California

Jeff Merritt responds to his shocking '47-Second' 1st Round Knockout loss to Henry Clark.

"No excuses. Henry caught me 'cold'. It was a hard left-hook that 1st put me down, and I saw 'stars'.
    I never saw the punch coming. After I got up, I had no idea of where I was. I was fighting on instinct
    alone."

"Well, I beat him once, and he beat me once, We're '1-and-1'. Maybe we can have one more fight to settle
    the score. I guess I could ask for another bout, and I'll even fight here in Oakland again. What are the
    rules here in California. Do I have to sit out for 60-Days before I fight again. I'll come back in May,
    as long as the promoter {Joe Gagliardi} puts up another fair fight purse."

"I guess I'll go back to Cleveland, and re-group. I still want to fight. I guess I'll just have to work harder
    to make it back up into the Top 10 again."

Jeff Merritt was supposed to receive a $10,000 Fight Purse for his bout with Henry Clark. It was
    reported, that Don King {Manager} gave Jeff substantially less.

According to Jeff's friends, the main concern for Jeff was to hurry up and get back to his 1972 Buick Riviera
    in Cleveland with 'Candy' license plates, and cruise for Chicks while shoving 'candy' up his nose and shooting
    'smack' {Heroin} in his arm.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 07-22-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'The Lost Year For Jeff 'Candy Slim' Merritt'

After the disaster loss {L KO 1} to Henry Clark in just 47-Seconds in Oakland on March 4, 1974.

Don King was able to get Jeff another bout lined up in California. This time it was set for Thursday,
    May 16th and in San Jose at the Civic Auditorium against 'Trial-Horse' - Roy 'Cookie' Wallace.

Babe Griffin {Fight Promoter} was interested in getting Jeff some 'action' on the West Coast despite
    the shocking loss to Henry Clark. Babe had a few 'safe' bouts lined up for Jeff, something that
    Don King had recommended.

Jeff, was in Cleveland {half-training and half-partying in late-April and early-May} for his upcoming
    May 16th bout in San Jose, California.

Jeff was supposed to head out to San Jose on Monday, May 13th with Trainer - Richie Giachetti.
    But on Monday, Jeff never showed up to Don King's office to get his Airline Tickets, itinerary and
    expense money.

Jeff was again, missing-in-action and nowhere to be found in Cleveland.

In a rush, Don King got Earnie Shavers out of temporary retirement to fill in for the 'missing' Jeff Merritt.

Earnie {at 210 lbs.} and with only minor training, headed out to San Jose as the placement fighter. No
    problem for Earnie, as he blasted Cookie Wallace out in just 2:11 of Round 1.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 07-22-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'The Lost Year For Jeff 'Candy Slim' Merrit'

Don King was royally 'pissed-off' at Jeff for disappearing for his May 16th bout.

Don had worked out a Boxing Schedule for Jeff, which included '3' real easy monthly bouts;
    starting off with Roy 'Cookie' Wallace on May 16th in San Jose, California.

Then following bouts in California for;
    * June vs. Charlie 'Devil' Green
    * July vs. Charlie James

None of the above bouts ever took place, as Jeff was acting bizarre with his flighty behavior.

In the interim, Don King shipped Jeff off to the Deer Lake Training Camp in Pennsylvania so Jeff could provide his
    services as a sparring partner for Muhammad Ali, while he was prepping for his September 25th {original date} bout
    with George Foreman set for Kinshasa, Zaire.

Muhammad had opened Camp at Deer Lake in early-June, and had planned to work out there thru the end of August,
    before heading to Africa on September 4th.

In June and July, Jeff was there with Roy 'Tiger' Williams and Larry Holmes.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 07-22-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'The Lost Year For Jeff 'Candy Slim' Merriit'

At the Deer Lake Traing Camp, Jeff was starting to get back into the 'groove' again, and by the middle of July he was nearly
    firing 'on-all-cylinders'.

Jeff had lumped up Muhmmad Ali in a sparring-session, and had also tore into both Roy 'Tiger' Williams and Larry Holmes.

Jeff would usually have '2' good days, then disappear for '1'.

On July 16th, Don King called and told Jeff that he got a fight purse offer of {$2000} for a bout scheduled for Tuesday, July 30th
    and set for The Auditorium in Miami Beach.

The opponent was a not too difficult Miami Heavyweight in Johnny Summerville. Don told Jeff that it was good 'stepping stone'
    bout to get back on the right track.

Jeff accepted.

But again Jeff 'played shenanigans' and pulled out. On Friday, July 26th {only 4-Days} before the bout Jeff claimed that he
    had an arm-injury.

After about a week, Jeff was back at the Deer Park Training Camp looking for work again as a sparring-partner.

While Jeff was a 'terror' in sparring-sessions, there were questions about his heart and/or desire to engage in a real 'legitimate' fight.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 07-23-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Bill,or should i say Jeff.

Thread Information