Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Carson Jones retired

I did not realise he retired? He was only 27 and record 35-10-3
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Carson Jones retired

Humm surprising... i think the Brook decision in the first fight really robbed his "hungry dedication" that made him a competitive fighter at higher levels.

So the BKB fight was his last one

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I did not realise he retired? He was only 27 and record 35-10-3
    His boxing age is close to 40

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He obviously had some ability, but was never going to be a champion and probably can't make a living in the sport now. Being a journeyman fighter isn't exactly a nice way to live, so good for him.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I liked this guy. He made the most of what he had. Very solid fighter.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In a somewhat ironic turn the man who arguably came closest to beating new IBF champion Kell Brook has retired just shy of his 28th birthday. Carson Jones 35-10-3 (25) turns just 28 tommorow but has decided to call it a day in boxing.

Jones said on facebook

“Sad day for me, but today I am officially retiring from boxing. Had some ups and downs, but I’m done”.

Legacy

I have posted before about some of the unsung heroes in boxing and Jones is definitely one of those. He is tough, durable, hard hitting and despite his limitations in talent he never accepted defeat.

This is the type of fighter that will never make huge amounts from boxing nor win any world titles but he has exposed several wannabe prospects and played a big part in helping Kell Brook win the IBF welterweight title on Saturday.
    Achievements

We should all remember American 2000 Olympic silver medalist Ricardo Williams Jnr, who then (19-2) fought Jones in December 2011 for the USBA Welterweight title. Williams had been a major disappointment since being given $1 million to turn pro by Lou Di Bella. He had been lax in training and in trouble with the law which lead to two decision defeats at the hands of journeyman fighters. Williams had since won 10 in a row though going into the Jones fight. There was no controversial decision this time. Jones knocked him down 3 times on route to a 4th round stoppage.

Two years earlier he fought record breaking American knockout artist Tyrone Brunson. Brunson had not only amassed an impressive 19-0 (19) record he had defeated all his opponents inside the first round. Before Jones he had drawn a fight though and won a decision so his invincibility was there to be tested against the renowned tough man. Jones stopped Brunson in 3 rounds destroying another fragile prospects career.

Kell Brook

The man from Sheffield almost fell into the same trap as the previous two. After a fairly standard first opening 6 rounds with Brook controlling the action Jones turned the screw. He upped the tempo considerably and backed Brook onto the ropes landing a series of punches. Kell certainly learned lessons from this when facing Porter as he kept the centre of the ring and tied Porter up when he was jumping in with his hooks.

Retirement

It is a shame that he has decided to retire. He was a real tough fighter and a great challenger for anyone in a crossroads between domestic and world level. He probably felt he could win a world title at some point and realised after the rematch loss to Brook he was just short of that level. I wish him all the best and thank him for entertaining us.

Read more at Carson Jones officially retires from boxing
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well said Master. The Brunson victory is the one that sticks out the most in my mind.

Jones was not easily intimidated and strived to make improvements to get better.

He boxed well enough to really know how to handle himself in there.

Thread Information