Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Floyd and Manny bad for boxing?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Are Floyd and Manny bad for boxing?

Bad for boxing in terms of them sucking much of the money out of the fight game themselves, leaving other promotions and fighters scrapping around for 60k fights?

Take a look at how this has opened the door for rapper Jay-Z to enter into the promotions game. He won a purse bid for $1.9 mil dollars for the Quillin/Koborov showdown.

But, one can say, Jay-Z is "new" money to boxing, and older promotions were beat out handily for the fight's bid. If a promotion in professional boxing that has been around for ages like cant pony up when Golden Boy or Arum can't produce fights for some reason, where does that leave the sport?

Golden Boy/Floyd and Top Rank/Manny have sucked a lot of money out of the system...

The initial bid for the Quillin/Koborov fight was set at $200k. Chump change for a title fight.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are Floyd and Manny bad for boxing?

If Arum thought the fight was worth $600,000 then Jay-Z's firm have done their absolute bollocks. It's great for the fighters, as they are clearly getting huge career high paydays, even though Quillen/Haymon haven't given it the green light yet.

Third parties winning purse bids is nothing new.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    If Arum thought the fight was worth $600,000 then Jay-Z's firm have done their absolute bollocks. It's great for the fighters, as they are clearly getting huge career high paydays, even though Quillen/Haymon haven't given it the green light yet.

Exactly. That Klit-Povetkin fight was won by a relative unknown and was a huge bid. I dont see why this matters. Most of the lower paid fighters arent that good and dont deserve life changing money, particularly guys like Wilder and Quillin who havent had any challenges. Pac and Mayweather earned their paydays. Garcia got an obscene amount for fighting that nobody a few weeks back.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Exactly. That Klit-Povetkin fight was won by a relative unknown and was a huge bid. I dont see why this matters. Most of the lower paid fighters arent that good and dont deserve life changing money, particularly guys like Wilder and Quillin who havent had any challenges. Pac and Mayweather earned their paydays. Garcia got an obscene amount for fighting that nobody a few weeks back.
    But that's my thing, really... there are a lot of other established promotions out there that seem to be out of pocket. So much out of pocket that third party outsiders are winning bids in a game that was closed off and very technically sensitive.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is one of the highest paid athletes in the world, that is NEVER a bad thing for a sport. Manny isn't far behind and is probably the only fighter to rival Hopkins in terms of competition/tough fights. Add his humble demeanor and willingness to please his fans. Not bad for the sport at all...

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How is Jay-Z gonna recoup all that money? Sell the arena crack?

That fight isn't going to be seen by a large audience. A virtually unknown B+ fighter against an unknown C+ level fighter isn't going to make you 1.9 million.

I hear Quillin hasn't even signed the contract yet...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As much as people don't want to admit it, boxing is a spectacle sport and it's success and culture relevance depends on whether or not it has the stars available to carry it on it's back. Ali, Leonard, Tyson, De La Hoya, Mayweather, Pacquaio, ect are the guys who carried the sport and made it possible for others to make a living in it.

I've heard it all, people say "ohh no boxer is bigger than the sport" (bullshit) and "ohh boxing has been around for hundreds of years it'll always be around." Yeah, that's true, boxing will always be around, but in what capacity? Do we want big fights with big production value? Well, the money the big boys bring in gives promotional companies the overhead to the do that. Floyd is a huge earner for himself, but he also brings in a fuck load of money for everyone involved in his fight, including the promotional company, the broadcaster, and the state of Nevada. As long as him, Pac, ect are bringing in those big bucks, boxing will still be a viable option and we get the great match making and big fights. Once they go away, the overhead is lowered and we don't get the same product.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't get the fascination with Quillin by some on these boards. Some of the same guys that constantly bash GGG and his level of competition praise Quillin even though he has faced inferior opposition and looked much more vulnerable. GGG murders top ranked guys and these guys hate on him while Quillin struggles against non contenders a weight class down and these same guys praise him as the future of the division. Makes no sense to me. Jay-z investing in a Brooklyn commodity makes some sense, but I agree that he spent too much and won't make his money back.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    As much as people don't want to admit it, boxing is a spectacle sport and it's success and culture relevance depends on whether or not it has the stars available to carry it on it's back. Ali, Leonard, Tyson, De La Hoya, Mayweather, Pacquaio, ect are the guys who carried the sport and made it possible for others to make a living in it.

I've heard it all, people say "ohh no boxer is bigger than the sport" (bullshit) and "ohh boxing has been around for hundreds of years it'll always be around." Yeah, that's true, boxing will always be around, but in what capacity? Do we want big fights with big production value? Well, the money the big boys bring in gives promotional companies the overhead to the do that. Floyd is a huge earner for himself, but he also brings in a fuck load of money for everyone involved in his fight, including the promotional company, the broadcaster, and the state of Nevada. As long as him, Pac, ect are bringing in those big bucks, boxing will still be a viable option and we get the great match making and big fights. Once they go away, the overhead is lowered and we don't get the same product.
    Agree with everything. Good post.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is not about Manny and Floyd more promoters old and new trying to get into the business and control the sport for their interests. Nothing new and some of the fighters are getting handsomely paid.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

Indeed. The OP Is just backwards. Manny and Floyd are bad for boxing but they don't drain money from it they pump money in to it.

And 3rd parties entering in has always happened, that is the entire point of a purse bid. It's a way to create a free market so promoters don't cheat fighters. 3rd parties have been involved as far back as I have read about. Manny and Floyd "caused" this, first no they didn't and 2nd why say caused as if it's bad that GBP and TR don't have a complete stranglehold?

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I don't get the fascination with Quillin by some on these boards. Some of the same guys that constantly bash GGG and his level of competition praise Quillin even though he has faced inferior opposition and looked much more vulnerable. GGG murders top ranked guys and these guys hate on him while Quillin struggles against non contenders a weight class down and these same guys praise him as the future of the division. Makes no sense to me. Jay-z investing in a Brooklyn commodity makes some sense, but I agree that he spent too much and won't make his money back.
    Because Quillin is a better fighter. GGG is a better boxer. Quillin is a murderous opponent to have, while GGG is a strong opponent. There is a difference.

To me, Quillin was/is the top guy at MW- size, strength, power, fighting ability and grit.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quillin is not a better fighter than GGG and is not a murderous puncher.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

These guys only bring in money people are willing to spend on ppv and tickets etc. I think its actually good for boxing, at least there are a few names casual fans know

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Because Quillin is a better fighter. GGG is a better boxer. Quillin is a murderous opponent to have, while GGG is a strong opponent. There is a difference.

To me, Quillin was/is the top guy at MW- size, strength, power, fighting ability and grit.
    Hahaha!!!! Murderous opponent?!? That is funny. I've noticed from many of ur posts u say outlandish things often. I'm assuming it's either sarcasm or to just troll. U can't be serious with these posts... Right!!?

Thread Information