Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: How do you feel about the CW division

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody care about the Cruiserweight division?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Does anybody care about the Cruiserweight division?

I saw two posters talking about who the greatest CW of all time was - Evander Holyfield - and I realized I didn't have any point to argue because I could care less out the CW division, historically or present day.

Now, I'm not saying the CWs can't be good to great fighters, and I'm not saying CW fights can't be good, exciting bouts worth watching.

I just have a problem with it philosophically. I always saw it as a division for people too big for (or two lazy to cut down to) LHW but too scared to get in there with the big boys. If you fight at the 200 limit, you're walking around at at least 210lbs. I reckon most are 215-220. Some no doubt walk around at close to or above 230. If you're that big, why not fight in the money division? Why toil away in a division no one seems to care about?

I think the division stinks, it should be abolished and those bums should be forced to cut to 175 or fight HWs. What says you??

I think it's just thinning out an already thin HW division.
    Last edited by Beanflicker; 12-31-2014 at 06:14 PM.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was fun a few years ago with O'Neil Bell, Mormeck, David Haye, Guillermo Jones, Darnell Wilson, Kelvin Something n Enzo Mac n cheese, etc.

It was even fun with Thomas Adamek recently as champ, but now I couldn't name any of the champs outside of maybe Huck n Jones if they are still there?

It's gone to shit.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Does anybody care about the Cruiserweight division?

No
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cruiserweights, for sure.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Cruiserweight division is a division, just like any other division. It features big strong boxers which are all approximately the same size, well-rounded skilled and all extremely athletic (as opposed to the HW division where they come in all shapes and sizes and various traits).

There is nothing bad about it, and it is thoroughly perplexing why anyone should think that a weight-class is "bad" or "good".

It MUST obviously stay, it was introduced for a reason.

A better question would be, when should we introduce the NEXT weight class (like I dunno, "Super-Cruiser" or something lol)

The only problem with the Cruiser division imo, is that when it was introduced and then later modified, it has since caused IMMENSE confusion on what it means to be a "Heavyweight" and has led to many illegitimate comparisons of ancient HW's to current HW's even though they have absolutely nothing in common except for the fact that they were at different points in time, nominally CALLED "HW's".

Some argue that amateur boxing got it correct by making the new weight class beyond HW (Super-HW) as this avoided the confusion.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was of a division... the guys there very rarely compete with the LH's, and when they go to HW they don't do any better than someone that could have started off as a HW OR a LH.

Sure, we had Evander Holyfield. But we also had Michael Moorer, Muhammad Ali and a host of other LH's that did much more from coming from 175.

Just abolish it. But they won't. Because of sanctioning fees, etc. The only man worth watching at CW is Marco Huck- and I wish that Huck and Adonis Stevenson hook it up!!!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Was of a division... the guys there very rarely compete with the LH's, and when they go to HW they don't do any better than someone that could have started off as a HW OR a LH.

Sure, we had Evander Holyfield. But we also had Michael Moorer, Muhammad Ali and a host of other LH's that did much more from coming from 175.

Just abolish it. But they won't. Because of sanctioning fees, etc. The only man worth watching at CW is Marco Huck- and I wish that Huck and Adonis Stevenson hook it up!!!
    That's a silly opinion. How many light heavies or below have climbed their way into HW competitiveness? Moorer, Byrd, Adamek, Toney and not many others.

In Ali's time the average boxer at HW was only 200lbs (Cruiser). So that doesn't really count. It didn';t make sense to have a CW division then, but it does now.

What do you mean Michael Moorer accomplished more at HW than Holyfield?

He was a champ sure but he did F/A compared with Holyfield.

If haters can just put it aside for a moment they would be forced to agree that David Haye is right up there as well, don't try to tell me he isn't skilled.

Eddie Chambers, yeah a real punch bag that guy!

Mormeck was good.

There are plenty of good boxers at Cruiser and always has been. The CW division is the natural launch pad for smaller fighters to enter the HW division where the cash is, this possibly causes an emigration of the best fighters from Cruiser to Heavy beyond their natural weight class.

Take away Cruiser, and this^ will apply to the LHW division again, as it did previously and it's the same situation except the boxers who step up would have to build/fatten up even FURTHER from their natural weight if they want to compete at HW. A deplorable situation.

Cruiser must stay. Obviously.

A "super-cruiser" division is just around the corner.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Has some of the most entertaining fighters in it and has had some of the best fights over the last few years. Far better then a lot of divisions out there.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cruiserweight division has not been good really ever. i think that we need the division but i think that the real good fighters usually skip cruiser from LHW or at least take a very short stop there to get to HW. maybe its just the fact that the fighters understand that cruiser isnt a popular weight class so they dont want to stick around.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holyfield ruled it. David Haye did for a bit but otherwise not a brilliant division but I do care about it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course I care.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    The Cruiserweight division is a division, just like any other division.
    Thanks, Plato! I agree though, it's a lot more legitimate than any of the Jr or super divisions at the lower weights when you think about it. The difference between a LHW and HW can be nearly 100 pounds! Not fair to accuse these guys of being scared to move up and not have the same opinion about 154 or 168 pounders or anyone else. All they are doing is cutting weight and fighting against guys about their size, just as everyone save for the HWs do. If a guy can make cruiser comfortably, that makes him a MUCH smaller man than someone like Wladimir is. As far as body weight percentage, its the equivalent of expecting a featherweight to fight a middleweight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It has no prestige, history or champions.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Re: Does anybody care about the Cruiserweight division?

The problem is, it's a bit of an"inbetweeny" division, but you can't scrap it because the HW's are so big nowadays , there has to be something there. Dare I say, perhaps there should be either/or both of;
    1. A division between LHW and CW, because the gap is too big to step up naturally.
    2. A HW and a SUPER HW division. This means some CW's could move up to HW as they won't be dwarfed.
    Before everybody replies with "not more fucking divisions!" , perhaps some of the lower weight divisions should be scrapped or integrate? In this day and age Men are naturally bigger than they were 20 , 30 or 40 years ago. The lower weights are probably pretty dangerous health wise as well.
    I mean, let's be fair the quality of the smaller fighters is brilliant, but what does a 5,6,7 or 8 weight World Champion mean? It's bollocks really.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    The problem is, it's a bit of an"inbetweeny" division, but you can't scrap it because the HW's are so big nowadays , there has to be something there. Dare I say, perhaps there should be either/or both of;
    1. A division between LHW and CW, because the gap is too big to step up naturally.
    2. A HW and a SUPER HW division. This means some CW's could move up to HW as they won't be dwarfed.
    Before everybody replies with "not more fucking divisions!" , perhaps some of the lower weight divisions should be scrapped or integrate? In this day and age Men are naturally bigger than they were 20 , 30 or 40 years ago. The lower weights are probably pretty dangerous health wise as well.
    I mean, let's be fair the quality of the smaller fighters is brilliant, but what does a 5,6,7 or 8 weight World Champion mean? It's bollocks really.
    There is no need or demand for 17 divisions, 3 is enough, 8 is great.
    50% of divisions need to be scrapped

Thread Information