Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magomed Abdusalamov....a true warrior, neglected & forgotten.

Share/Bookmark
    LouEVIL, Kentucky "birthplace of Cassius Clay"
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Magomed Abdusalamov....a true warrior, neglected & forgotten.

Magomed Abdusalamov. remember that name?
    He is the Russian guy who almost died to put on a good show for us boxing fans. and put on a show he did. he showed great heart, courage, a great chin, and a pretty damn good punch too. Unfortunately he suffered horrible brain injury in that unreal fight against Perez in nov 2013. pretty much left a vegetable because the dumbass promoter/or ringside doctor would not stop the fight. They wanted their dramatic ending.
    well, they got it. and now a good man/credit to the sport will probably die.
    I love a good brutal fight as much as the next man, but in that fight, i found myself yelling aloud "stop the fight" to no one. it was beyond brutal. no one should have taken that beating, and NO DOCTOR or PROMOTER should have let it go near that long!

In my opinion, they should be held responsible for what happened. Yes, boxing is a dangerous sport and you should expect injuries, but for someones head to get beaten thaaaat bad, for thaaaat long IS WRONG!! They should have to pay all doctor bills and help Magomeds family. bastards!

UPDATE??
    I caught the last bit of something on friday night fights that said Magomed almost died again. does anyone have any info on this? can't seem to find any news on the fallen warrior. They showed a picture of Magomed and it was frikkin' terrible & very heartbreaking.

Sending prayers to Magomed & family....

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Magomed Abdusalamov....a true warrior, neglected & forgotten.

I've been keeping up-to-date on his condition.

"Neglected and forgotten" is harsh as it's not something I'd want getting a lot of media attention if it was me.

I do send my best wishes though, he took the best power punches of Mike Perez and stood tall. I'm sure he'd take it back but the heart involved in that fight was massive.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a sad case, and a strange one. I don't fault the ref, because Magomed was taking a lot of punches but rarely seemed hurt and was always coming forward and attacking and making it competitive. If the ref had stopped it, people would have said it was a bad stoppage.

People tend to forget about guys like Magomed, and retired boxers who are punch drunk, because it reminds them of the harsh realities of the sport. We all want to put on our rose coloured glasses and praise warriors who go punch for punch, hit and get hit, but we don't want to acknowledge the physical toll it takes on a fighter.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

El Kabong Guest

pretty much left a vegetable because the dumbass promoter/or ringside doctor would not stop the fight. They wanted their dramatic ending.
    Boxers know the dangers waiting for them inside that ring, they are not forced to fight, they choose on their own. Magomed fought in a style people who SAY they are boxing fans like, but people who ARE boxing fans know is a style that gets you where Magomed is at the moment. If anyone is at fault for not stopping the fight it's Magomed's trainer, BUT at the same time, boxers don't pay their trainers to pull the plug on a fight they feel they are in/could win. The promoters are supposed to stop it? How? Why? The doctor was supposed to stop it? Mago wasn't bleeding or cut or showing a ton of signs of distress.

What has happened to Magomed is a shame, but it's happened before and it'll happen again that is just a sad reality of the sport of boxing. Getting punched in the head is dangerous....so don't take too many shots.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With all of these complications, I am coming of the opinion that something was wrong with him before he even got into the ring. He had some sort of physical and neurological defect prior to entering into the ring.

Sad case, and I don't want to sound macabre: But with the injuries they are saying he sustained, two things happen: They either die very shortly afterwards (no more than2-3 months); or, they stabilize and have challenges through their life.

They just don't relapse with the same injury... they just don't...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

El Kabong Guest

YK, many said Gerald McClellan was injured from hard sparring before the Benn bout. And again, this is something you can't see, if you're affected you might not even feel it (brain bleed, concussion, etc) it's something that can only be prevented by teaching fighters good technical boxing.

HIT AND DON'T GET HIT

Nobody ever died from not getting hit

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    pretty much left a vegetable because the dumbass promoter/or ringside doctor would not stop the fight. They wanted their dramatic ending.
    Boxers know the dangers waiting for them inside that ring, they are not forced to fight, they choose on their own. Magomed fought in a style people who SAY they are boxing fans like, but people who ARE boxing fans know is a style that gets you where Magomed is at the moment. If anyone is at fault for not stopping the fight it's Magomed's trainer, BUT at the same time, boxers don't pay their trainers to pull the plug on a fight they feel they are in/could win. The promoters are supposed to stop it? How? Why? The doctor was supposed to stop it? Mago wasn't bleeding or cut or showing a ton of signs of distress.

What has happened to Magomed is a shame, but it's happened before and it'll happen again that is just a sad reality of the sport of boxing. Getting punched in the head is dangerous....so don't take too many shots.
    Sir, I could not disagree you more! Boxers do know the hazards in the ring, but they also have the expectation that the ref, their corner, and the doctor will protect them from the other fighter and themselves.
    You don't seem to care, but I would rather a fight was stopped too soon instead of too late.
    It's my belief that everyone setting at ringside failed this fighter, if I'd been there I'd have been yelling at the ref to stop the fight.
    Shit man, I even blame the other fighter, do you remember when Ali had Quarry in a bad way on the ropes and was waving the ref in to stop the fight?
    When you see a fighter in a bad way, taking loud thumping shots to the head and not throwing much back what are you thinking about? Maybe we should be thinking about how we can stop this from
    happening again.
    Boxing is a job and boxers should expect cuts, broken bones, bruises, rope burns, and problems from head trauma. Boxers should also expect to be protected from unnecessary head blows by the ref, their corner, and the doctor! Lol You know what I mean.
    Sir, you are a hard hearted dude!

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Sir, I could not disagree you more! Boxers do know the hazards in the ring, but they also have the expectation that the ref, their corner, and the doctor will protect them from the other fighter and themselves.
    You don't seem to care, but I would rather a fight was stopped too soon instead of too late.
    It's my belief that everyone setting at ringside failed this fighter, if I'd been there I'd have been yelling at the ref to stop the fight.
    Shit man, I even blame the other fighter, do you remember when Ali had Quarry in a bad way on the ropes and was waving the ref in to stop the fight?
    When you see a fighter in a bad way, taking loud thumping shots to the head and not throwing much back what are you thinking about? Maybe we should be thinking about how we can stop this from
    happening again.
    Boxing is a job and boxers should expect cuts, broken bones, bruises, rope burns, and problems from head trauma. Boxers should also expect to be protected from unnecessary head blows by the ref, their corner, and the doctor! Lol You know what I mean.
    Sir, you are a hard hearted dude!
    I'm not hard hearted I'm pragmatic

Magomed could have taken a knee or chose not to continue at any time during the fight ANY TIME! Nobody forced him to keep going, sorry nobody held a gun to his head and said "Answer the bell".

If he feared losing face he could have gotten his trainer to toss in the towel ANY TIME!

If he LOOKED in distress the ref and/or the doctor would have stepped in and stopped the fight as is the case with all fights.

Boxing is dangerous, it's always been dangerous and will always BE dangerous and fighters of all ages can and should know that.

Tell me where to stop the fight...if I'm a ref, trainer, doctor, promoter , Mike Perez, or anyone else where do I stop? Round 1 when Perez lands a punch that certainly breaks Mago's nose/orbital bone? Round 9 when Mago lands a huge left cross on Perez? The scores were: 92-97, 94-95, 92-97.....it wasn't a rout, it wasn't a total asswhupping, it was a very tough, very close fight and Mago got seriously injured

Tell me right now, what time, what round you stop the fight...hindsight is supposed to be 20/20 so you had best have an EXACT time where and when this fight should have been called.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxers do know the hazards in the ring, but they also have the expectation that the ref, their corner, and the doctor will protect them from the other fighter and themselves.
    Yeah but at the end of the day, this is a sport where the object is to give your opponent a brain injury, so there's only so much refs/corners/doctors can do.

I agree that he was failed by the promoters because they never had an ambulance waiting to take him, but you can't fault the doctors or corners for not stopping it. Magomed was never out of the fight, he was constantly coming forward and throwing punches until the final bell. It really didn't fit the criteria of a fight that should be stopped.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In my opinion Mago's corner should take a lot of the blame. I could see he was in distress so they must have known. But really The Promoters, the arena, the commission. & especially the doctor that supposedly examined Mago & let him leave bear a lot of responsability The fact they had to hire a cab to take him to the emergeancy room is reprehensible. Where was the ringside medical staff?? Also where are the supposed good guys Klitschko brothers have they offered any assistance to Mago?
    The way Mago was treated by those supposed to look after his welfare was lacking to say the least
    God Bless Mago & family Praying for a miracle
    Keep on Punchin"
    C.J.
    Hidden Content we love C.J.Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I feel for this man and his family. I think all of the above played a hand in failing him. Ref, corner, Doctor and so on and so forth. If I'm a cynic even Lampley who was literally drooling about "THIS is what FANS want from heavyweights". Mago the look of a fighter accumulating damage, not just losing rounds or showing a 'great chin'. There is that point when you literally see it lasting. I don't think it matters greatly how stellar of a defense a fighters does or does not have when it comes to the impact of damage in a business of punching people in the head.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not going to argue about this fight, I talked about it right after the fight and didn't change any minds.
    I've had my say and thanks for reading it. I've read your comments and understand them.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not going to argue about this fight, I talked about it right after the fight and didn't change any minds.
    I've had my say and thanks for reading it. I've read your comments and understand them.
    You talked about it before it was known he suffered a serious brain injury?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He has not been neglected or forgotten.

I pray for him and his family every night, as do many boxing fans I'm sure.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    You talked about it before it was known he suffered a serious brain injury?
    I think so, but I'm not positive, I was going on about him taking too many punches and his puffy face. I think I threw in my standard line about everyone being a tough guy as long they're not getting pounded on.
    Should be easy enough to check out if you're interested.

Thread Information