Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deontay Wilder vs. Bermane Stiverne- Wrap up!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Deontay Wilder vs. Bermane Stiverne- Wrap up!

What a pretty good night of boxing it was for the WBC heavyweight title between now ex-champion Bermane Stiverne vs. the new WBC champion, Deontay Wilder.

Of course, as many of you have already known by now, Wilder beat Stiverne in a 12 round unanimous decision. It's not a fight that would go down in the record books like Tyson/Douglas, Bowe/Holyfield or Ali/Frazier, but it was good enough.

My initial prediction was that Stiverne would knock Wilder out between the 7th and 8th round. But that prediction was depending on how Stiverne reacts, or reacted, when hit by Wilder.

We saw how that would play out in that event: Stiverne got hit by Wilder in the 2nd round, and then again in the 4th, wobbled on both occasions, and in one instance go down (albeit at the end of the round after the bell rang, so it shouldn't have been called a knockdown), and never really got back into the fight as he didn't engage Wilder the way it was anticipated. He simply did not want to engage fully after he got clipped. That's just that!

Stiverne winning by knock out somewhere in the middle of the fight was also based on the notion of how Stiverne was behind on points vs. Ray Austin and against Chris Arreola in their second fight.

Stiverne has a habit of starting slow and we presumed that his power would carry late and because Wilder was untested at that high of a level, he would crumple under the pressure. Also, we assumed that now, seeing previously what Stiverne's hunger was against Arreola in their second fight, that he would really want to keep his titles at all cost- and really go in, and go in hard!

But, he did not muster that kind of hunger. He was simply put on the end of a jab by Wilder, who also got hit by Stiverne a few times and decided to stay on the outside and not engage to any large extent.

All of this was probably an unfair assumption on Wilder's part, because we didn't really know what Wilder would do under those conditions because he never fought in those conditions before. But, Wilder didn't give us much to go on previously as his resume was a litany of fringe contenders and guys that never really had a chance at being elite fighters anyway, all except one or two. So, it was a toss up in that respect. But, it was up to Stiverne to make that case that this would be how this would play out. A case he did not make, clearly!

So, what we have now, on the business side of things is this, in that Al Haymon controls a portion of the heavyweight titles. Yes! Al Haymon has a huge say in heavyweight boxing. Don King is on the side-line unless their is a rematch clause and Stiverne can muster up the courage to go all out, in the face of Wilder's power.

What happens now for Wilder? Who knows? But, we hope for Stiverne's sake that he does in fact have a rematch clause in place, because he may want to exercise that right about now if he feels he could have physically performed better than what he did tonight. And he deserves it! Because, let's face it, both fighters could have done a little more in that fight. Wilder surprised me, rather than shocked me, with his boxing ability and also with his ability to go 12 rounds. But, it wasn't twelve hard rounds- as said before, Stiverne is a conservative type of counter-puncher that starts off late.

So, can Stiverne learn from this fight with Wilder? If he has a rematch clause, will he use it and take Wilder on once again, learn from those mistakes and make the fight more interesting? Or, will he end up like how Chris Arreola did vs. him the second time around, and lose by crushing KO??

We will have to see about all of this. But, what should be said is congratulations for Deontay "The Bronze Bomber" Wilder. He won this title, no controversy. Fair and square.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Deontay Wilder vs. Bermane Stiverne- Wrap up!

Stiverne did a phenomenal impression of Oliver Mcall n Lamont Brewster last night. He seemed much sturdier n durable than Wilder but refused to let his hands go, which was frustrating. Wilder boxed well, BUT I'm not sure how he will do against a larger, aggressive guy like Fury. Will be interesting.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be interesting. I like Fury now. Gypsy screwball he is. lololol....

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thats not a wrap up

a wrap up is one sentence, 2 or 3 at the abosolute most

kin el
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder showed some boxing ability, he used his jab good movement mixed in with the right hand,
    Stiverne was a bit predictable slow on his feet, never used much head movement Wilder's jab
    was in his face all night.
    Bermane is a tough guy but he showed he's limited, as for Wilder he boxed 12 rounds which
    most of us wondered could he go the distance.
    The USA has a new HW how long for it's any one's guess.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If there were a couple of things I noticed that Wilder should work on it is combination punching and going to the body. Wilder's jab and straight right are formidable, for sure (especially when matched with his height) but I can't help but think that someone like Wlad will have too many dimensions and options to sit on the outside and get picked apart. Like most tall fighters Deontay looked uncomfortable on the inside, so it may benefit him to not come in so light and learn to maul on the inside like Lewis and Wlad do. Exhaust the other guy by leaning on him, which is against the rules but rarely enforced for some reason.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    thats not a wrap up

kin el
    lolol... a wrap up can be as long as you wish for it to be.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just for some context on the rematch issue:

Stiverne qualifies for a rematch against Wilder. Pulev doesn't against Wlad.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    If there were a couple of things I noticed that Wilder should work on it is combination punching and going to the body. Wilder's jab and straight right are formidable, for sure (especially when matched with his height) but I can't help but think that someone like Wlad will have too many dimensions and options to sit on the outside and get picked apart. Like most tall fighters Deontay looked uncomfortable on the inside, so it may benefit him to not come in so light and learn to maul on the inside like Lewis and Wlad do. Exhaust the other guy by leaning on him, which is against the rules but rarely enforced for some reason.
    I agree, but I think he should fight at a weight he is comfortable at. He has a lighter frame than the truly huge HWs. Adding muscle could slow him down, effect his punching power, and his stamina. I do think he could add some weight.
    You are absolutely right about going to the body. I think he could have gotten that stoppage if he had gone to the body in the last third of the fight.
    He does need to fight some of the big guys before he fights Wlad, for sure!

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I agree, but I think he should fight at a weight he is comfortable at. He has a lighter frame than the truly huge HWs. Adding muscle could slow him down, effect his punching power, and his stamina. I do think he could add some weight.
    You are absolutely right about going to the body. I think he could have gotten that stoppage if he had gone to the body in the last third of the fight.
    He does need to fight some of the big guys before he fights Wlad, for sure!
    Put that down to inexperience but given time he can be a real danger to Wlad.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All depends how big-boned he his.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    thats not a wrap up

kin el
    lolol... a wrap up can be as long as you wish for it to be.
    no it cant

imagine this - "Right lets wrap it up"

3 hours later

"and thats it, good evening"

know what i mean?

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You lot are a trip.
    First he can't go the distance..
    Now, well he did but he need to work on this..
    Or if he doesn't then Wlad will take advantage..

get a grip. The man fought 12 rounds for the first time in his life...on the big stage.

That's what fights are for; to test yourself, one at a time. A muthajumpa can't execute a perfect game plan in one friggin fight.

Deontay won: give him his due: end of story.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    You lot are a trip.

get a grip. The man fought 12 rounds for the first time in his life...on the big stage.

That's what fights are for; to test yourself, one at a time. A muthajumpa can't execute a perfect game plan in one friggin fight.

he won by fuckin miles

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    You lot are a trip.

There's no question Wilder probably achieved and learned more in one night than he has in his previous 32 but its another scenario where a guy jumps from the turtle pool into the ocean. You cannot learn backwards, step off the stage with that strap now and mentally he seems fully convinced he is Wlad ready while clearly in execution he is not. Nothing wrong with seeing there are things to work on. He's arrived but I think we'll see in the long run his camp did a disservice by not polishing and refining with better comp before last night. On the job learning is not something advisable against the top tier.

Thread Information