Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canelo's gameplan against Floyd.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo's gameplan against Floyd.

It was a whitewash. Boxing's equivalent to a perfect game in baseball.
    Why keep sugarcoating it?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    What do you think would have happened if Canelo had chosen to brawl against Floyd?

Personally, I don't think the result would have been any different. As we saw later in the Lara fight, Canelo is terrible at cutting off the ring, and is flat-footed.
    I don't get why people keep saying "had chosen to", in reality it was Floyd who didn't ALLOW HIM TO, his defense was too tight and Canelo didn't know how to deal, so he just got beat up, it wasn't that he abandoned his gameplan it was that he wasn't good enough to execute it, plain and simple
    did floyd just fancy allowing maidana to?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Canelo has trouble with slick fighters
    Yeah but you can say the same about any fighter.

I think people are way too hard on Canelo. His last four fights were Trout, Floyd, Angulo and Lara. So that's Floyd, Angulo (a gimme to get his confidence back), and two southpaw runners/slicksters. Nobody looks good against Floyd, nobody looks good against Lara, and the only guy who looked good vs Trout was Lara. Trout and Lara are two guys nobody wants to fight, and Canelo took them both on and got the job done.

It's always funny to hear people talk about fighting Floyd like the guys he fought had the choice of how the fight was going to go, and somehow chose wrong. The truth is nobody gets to fight the fights they want to against Floyd. Castillo got to fight his a lot in their first fight and Maidana did too, but other than that Floyd has dictated the terms in all his bouts.
    You are right, Floyd is not cooperative when it comes to his fights. He has winning ways and sticks to them, contrary sucker in my opinion!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    What do you think would have happened if Canelo had chosen to brawl against Floyd?

Personally, I don't think the result would have been any different. As we saw later in the Lara fight, Canelo is terrible at cutting off the ring, and is flat-footed.
    I don't get why people keep saying "had chosen to", in reality it was Floyd who didn't ALLOW HIM TO, his defense was too tight and Canelo didn't know how to deal, so he just got beat up, it wasn't that he abandoned his gameplan it was that he wasn't good enough to execute it, plain and simple
    did floyd just fancy allowing maidana to?
    Did Floyd have any problems with him in the rematch? When Maidana fought the exact same fight?!, Floyd underestimated him, plain and simple, and that's not helping out Canelo's case of being limited and one dimensional, seeing how a small welterweight who's older still put up a better fight than he ever did

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was the strange think about it Floyd did not have to ask for Canelo to come at 155lb. It slightly discredits his achievement. I think he chose to fight aggressively against Cotto because he was smaller and slighter shop worn. I think Floyd wanted a stoppage and took chances against Cotto which he would not risk against Alvarez.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto went at Floyd, forcing his hand. Canelo sat back and tried to (cough) box with Floyd. Huge difference. I don't know what Floyd was expecting from Cotto, but he probably didn't expect to be pressured in that manner. He adapted well, as he always does, and the fight was hugely entertaining. No one can say for sure what would've happened had Canelo tried to press Floyd.... it would've probably still been a shutout, only that Floyd would've then had to break a sweat. Most fans enjoyed watching Floyd-Cotto and did not expect much. People expected loads from Floyd-Canelo and were hugely disappointed.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Canelo is a pressure fighter though, he never did have the stamina to fight that kind of fight, especially against a Mayweather. I think he figured he'd have more success with his jab to the head and body (supposedly the key to beat Mayweather since the DLH fight), and his power and size would wear Floyd down, but he just couldn't land anything with any consistency.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Thread Information