Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why did the commentators want a kovalev-pascal rematch?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default why did the commentators want a kovalev-pascal rematch?

They kept talking as if they need to make a second fight because this one was so exciting. Kovalev easily won the fight and would win easily the next one. Basically, what pascals plan was to play possum and then throw bombs for two rounds in hopes to KO kovalev which didn't work. By the 7th round, Pascal was totally gassed and had no chance. In a second fight, kovalev wouldn't let that happen and still win easily.

Also, on another note, I really don't want kovalev to fight Stevenson because he doesn't deserve the fight for ducking him before.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: why did the commentators want a kovalev-pascal rematch?

I guess because it was a very entertaining fight. In saying that though, I don't know what more Pascal could do to win. It would likely be the same, but maybe not such a dodgy stoppage. Rematches should be for really close fights, but Pascal was almost at the stage where he would need KD's or a stoppage and typically that doesn't warrant an immediate rematch. Groves/Froch sure as Groves was clearly winning, but Kovalev was winning this one. Kovalev would beat down Stevenson in 6 rounds. They might as well get that one over and done with. I've never understood the Superman buzz.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I guess because it was a very entertaining fight. In saying that though, I don't know what more Pascal could do to win. It would likely be the same, but maybe not such a dodgy stoppage. Rematches should be for really close fights, but Pascal was almost at the stage where he would need KD's or a stoppage and typically that doesn't warrant an immediate rematch. Groves/Froch sure as Groves was clearly winning, but Kovalev was winning this one. Kovalev would beat down Stevenson in 6 rounds. They might as well get that one over and done with. I've never understood the Superman buzz.

Remember Pascal had a rock chin , Stevenson doesn't . If Kovalev lands early Stevenson goes byebye.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Carl Froch ruined Pascal.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fun fight but kovalev was pretty much in complete control other than like two rounds, I guess that makes it much closer than any of his other fights as the dude barely looses a round ever. Also proved he got some pretty solid whiskers if we weren't sold on those yet as pascal hit him with some wild ass looping shots, wouldn't mind watching it down the line again after kovalev doesn't have anyone else to face but will be same outcome if not quicker

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward vs kovalev would be interesting..171?
    (Ward is still not big enough imo)

Kovalev keeps impressing me and he will rule the 175 divison for a long, long time.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

Kovalev keeps impressing me and he will rule the 175 divison for a long, long time.
    Agree has the making of a very good fight. Wards not a small super middleweight though and wouldnt be any smaller than Pascal or Hopkins at 175. 171 would definitely be more of an advantage to Ward then Kovalev.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    They kept talking as if they need to make a second fight because this one was so exciting. Kovalev easily won the fight and would win easily the next one. Basically, what pascals plan was to play possum and then throw bombs for two rounds in hopes to KO kovalev which didn't work. By the 7th round, Pascal was totally gassed and had no chance. In a second fight, kovalev wouldn't let that happen and still win easily.

Also, on another note, I really don't want kovalev to fight Stevenson because he doesn't deserve the fight for ducking him before.
    Kovalev definitely scored more, but Pascal could be better than that. It was his inactivity that caused him to falter down the stretch, and Kovalev was being hit from Pascal.

I can see a rematch. I can also see a Dawson/Kovalev match as well. May as well...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

Kovalev may test his hand at cruiser, particularly against Marco Huck. Everyone dodges Huck. lolol...shout outs to Povetkin for taking that Huck fight when he did.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

Kovalev definitely scored more, but Pascal could be better than that. It was his inactivity that caused him to falter down the stretch, and Kovalev was being hit from Pascal.

I can see a rematch. I can also see a Dawson/Kovalev match as well. May as well...
    I could see Kovalev being charged with near manslaughter vs Dawson. Think any talk of rematch came as much from homebase and initial "early" stoppage mention as from network coin. Pascal fought his nuts off but essentially had decent rounds in 5 and 6 and fought the fight hoping for bait right hand bombs. He took a tremendous beating in the process.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

I could see Kovalev being charged with near manslaughter vs Dawson. Think any talk of rematch came as much from homebase and initial "early" stoppage mention as from network coin. Pascal fought his nuts off but essentially had decent rounds in 5 and 6 and fought the fight hoping for bait right hand bombs. He took a tremendous beating in the process.
    I'm shocked at how good Kovalev's return right over the jab really is... and Pascal is not a slow-puncher. Kovalev was definitely scoring with that overhand right over the jab of Pascal. Pascal got hit with that several times and dizzied him...

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe they don't want to see Krusher slaughter SuperPimp!

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

I'm shocked at how good Kovalev's return right over the jab really is... and Pascal is not a slow-puncher. Kovalev was definitely scoring with that overhand right over the jab of Pascal. Pascal got hit with that several times and dizzied him...
    His right has about 3,4 different volumes. He actually looks like he takes some off it when shooting the left, puts them together very sharp and can change angles with both hands on a dime. The guy doesn't set patterns

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kellerman (who loves Pascal) and Lederman said they want a rematch.

Wiser men like Bernard Hopkins and Jim Lampley said they saw no reason for it. The result would be a faster stoppage by Kovalev.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

pascal always fights in spurts though and isnt known for his stamina. kovalev made him fight and pascal used all his energy up in 2 rounds. if they fought again, kovalev would fight a little more cautious and probably KO him in the 10th or 11th.

Thread Information