Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Tommy Morrison

Why did he never accept and listen to magic Johnson as he would have probably still been alive and very rich right now.

His story has always interested me because no matter how many times he said he never had HIV I somehow believed him because he never admitted it.

When his mother said he had full blown aids that really brought it home.

He had a great left hook and managed to be the heavyweight champion of the world..

How do you remember tommy Morrison?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tommy Morrison

remember him being a HIV victim

was a hype job who fagged out when the going got tough

Job Biscuit ((g)imp)!!!

eh eh!!
    It's nice to see you to see you nice

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hype job is a bit harsh.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Hype job is a bit harsh.

ran like a big girls blouse against an old man called George

Job Biscuit (go figure)!!!

eh eh!!
    It's nice to see you to see you nice

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tommy Morrison was never 'the' heavyweight champ, but he was one of 4 for a while there

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember him as the lineal HW Champion of the World with a steel chin , who was never a hype job , and was a close relation of John Wayne.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Once the smoke cleared and the attention dissipated after Magic's announcement, a lot of athletes went back to their mongering ways and unprotected. Why do you think so many of them have kids by multiple women?

Tommy was just unlucky and got into some tainted meat.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tommy started as a hype job, but he did not stay "hype job". He was legit.

The HIV stuff is a mistery, if I were him I would also never admit I have one ) What for?
    He fought for his life, started believing in Christ, but something did not work out.
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was a bit of a dick when he first came up but grew to like him. He was exciting. He got sucked into the hype up and push job after the movie, Mr. Rowdy boy 'Murica, with top speed and power and equally fun defensive lapses. Loved his fights with Hipp, Ray, Williams, Puritty and Ruddock. That was raw courage instinct. Thought he was smart with George, boxed well. In hindsight and rewatch Mercer just took him to school.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    He was a bit of a dick when he first came up but grew to like him. He was exciting. He got sucked into the hype up and push job after the movie, Mr. Rowdy boy 'Murica, with top speed and power and equally fun defensive lapses. Loved his fights with Hipp, Ray, Williams, Puritty and Ruddock. That was raw courage instinct. Thought he was smart with George, boxed well. In hindsight and rewatch Mercer just took him to school.

Spot on assessment.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Morrison became a very good fighter and it was a shame his career ended the way it did. I've never quite managed to understand what happened to his mind. If you have a deadly virus, then you might as well accept it and get treated rather than slowly kill yourself with denial.

El Kabong Guest

Tommy Morrison was a rugged brawler early on, big time power, but fighting out of nowhere, I mean how many greats come from Oklahoma (he was born in Arkansas raised in OK) His early career was really plugging along quite well, but 'Rocky V' really got the spotlight on him and he was an outstanding 28-0-0 by the time he fought Ray Mercer. Some of those 28 were bums, but some were veteran boxers who are the norm for an up and comer to fight and he really did work his way up well.

Morrison's camp always said "Nobody knew Ray (Mercer) could take that kind of punishment" and I believe it, he was 17-0-0 going into that fight and I think the strongest puncher he faced before Tommy fought him was Bert Cooper who had pop but was a small heavyweight. Also Tommy and Ray had a good close fight in the amateurs at the Olympic trials which Tommy lost by SD....so I believe they thought they were just going to steam roll Ray, but Ray wasn't having any of it.

Tommy was a great fighter to watch because he gave you the drama with his power, with his defensive lapses, with his heart being bigger than his brain for the most part. Had Tommy been more of a boxer/puncher he'd probably have had more success as a boxer but far less fan support. Morrison was the heavyweight Arturo Gatti...he'd start out with the intentions of boxing and then go all brawler (except against Foreman who scared him straight).

The HIV result was a bad one. Tommy was only 26/27 years old when he was diagnosed with HIV in 1996 so he had a number of years left in him and then after boxing he may have gone back to acting. I certainly could see Tommy Morrison getting in on 'The Expendables' franchise had he never gotten HIV/AIDS. I believe Morrison was lining up to fight Michael Moorer at the time of his positive test and he was on a path to fight Mike Tyson and/or Riddick Bowe (if you were to listen to Tommy). All 3 of which would have been excellent fights as well as fights that Tommy could have won in all honesty, but at the very least he would have gone out on his shield which again the fans loved him for. Think about how Tommy would have done vs other contenders of his era, if he could take out Rudduck then why not Golota? What about Briggs? What about Tua? What about how he would have faired vs Holyfield? He could have had many many more big money fights and exciting fights.

El Kabong Guest

So to add to the "what do/did you think of Tommy Morrison?" question...

How do you feel Tommy Morrison would have done against these fighters had he never gotten HIV, so POST 1996:
    Ray Mercer II
    Michael Moorer
    Mike Tyson
    Riddick Bowe
    Andrew Golota
    Evander Holyfield
    David Tua
    John Ruiz
    Hasim Rahman
    Michael Grant
    Oliver McCall

And feel free to add more if you think of any

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Call this a knee jerk reaction but its a just a gut feeling that the savage KO Mercer gave him would have changed him forever. I wont use the "R" word. He fought on where he could but I think he'd be haunted by that KO. Its not like a one shot, lights out, anyone could get caught kind of shot.
    Its comes down to the type of fighter but I just got the feeling he was one of those fighters that once he was reminded of his own mortality, things would go south quick. Like when shane was cut for the first time in his career by vernon. He saw the blood, freaked and that was it. Shane still does something similar every time hes getting whooped... and keeps touching gloves and tries to keep it friendly with the thought it will save him from a more savage beating. I don't think Morrison would have done that but i think every time he got caught after that, he'd panic and stop breathing right and wear down fast. Not to mention how many opponents would just try to tee off on him mercer style for a highlight ko. just my opinion of course.
    Last edited by J_Undisputed; 04-02-2015 at 07:45 PM.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    Call this a knee jerk reaction but its a just a gut feeling that the savage KO Mercer gave him would have changed him forever. I wont use the "R" word. He fought on where he could but I think he'd be haunted by that KO. Its not like a one shot, lights out, anyone could get caught kind of shot.
    Its comes down to the type of fighter but I just got the feeling he was one of those fighters that once he was reminded of his own mortality, things would go south quick. Like when shane was cut for the first time in his career by vernon. He saw the blood, freaked and that was it. Shane still does something similar every time hes getting whooped... and keeps touching gloves and tries to keep it friendly with the thought it will save him from a more savage beating. I don't think Morrison would have done that but i think every time he got caught after that, he'd panic and stop breathing right and wear down fast. Not to mention how many opponents would just try to tee off on him mercer style for a highlight ko. just my opinion of course.
    Sir, anyone who can look HIV, then full blown AIDS in the face, and then drop into total denial is not going to have even a little trouble getting around a devastating KO!
    I liked Morrison, a lot, but he turned out to be brain damaged or a straight up idiot. It was hard to look at some of those terrible final pics of him.

Thread Information