Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Khan and Brook are better WW than Mayweather & Pac

Amir Khan and Kell Brook are better welterweights than Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, says Paulie Malignaggi | Boxing News | Sky Sports

'Mayweather and Pacquiao are the biggest names but I think here we are in 2015, Kell Brook, Keith Thurman and Amir Khan are the best three welterweights in the world'

Is he saying that those three can beat may and pac? Or does he mean once Mayweather and Pac have gone and has been misquoted?

I usually like Malignaggi and he is a good boxing analyst but I seriously disagree with him there.

I personally think Pac steam rolls all three and Mayweather boxes their ears off. Khan is chinny, Brook is too slow and Thurman makes mistakes that he would seriously pay for against May or Pac.

Maybe he's right and I'm just being like my dad (who thinks modern fighters don't stand a chance against the old timers who he watched growing up) can't accept my immortal heroes are mere mortals. Maybe I have that syndrome for Mayweather and Pacquiao as the two fighters from my era who I will see as unbeatable in hypothetical match-ups against any future WWs. Sat in my armchair 'I watched Mayweather and Pacquiao, these young kids wouldn't stand a chance'.

I started this thread wanting to have a go at Paulie but I got a little sentimental . To hell with it, you guys are weird as fuck on here anyway, so I have no need to be embarrassed about my sentimentality.

Anyways, share your opinions on Malignaggi's statement.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Khan and Brook are better WW than Mayweather & Pac

I can't quite agree, but see where he is coming from and it's possible. Floyd and Manny definitely do still get that superstar benefit of the doubt, but if you are to only take each of them for their last 2-3 fights, they look pretty human. They are 38 and 36, right around the age where fighters can suddenly lose it, and coming off fights which suggest that might be happening.
    I have a hard time declaring Khan the next anything as he might get sparked out in any fight, but Brook could well be to much for Floyd or Manny of today. He's really damn good, a big welterweight with a good powerful jab, I dunno. Brook-Thurman would be something.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

oh yes

well said pauli

id like to see more people question mayweather in the media rather than blowing his bum

maidana twice? what does that prove?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    oh yes

well said pauli

id like to see more people question mayweather in the media rather than blowing his bum

Yeah you would expect Floyd to have an easy time with a crude fighter like Maidana but Maidana has developed a deceptive jab with Garcia and Floyd didn't expect that.
    I just hope Floyd and Pac have a good battle then rematch and retire because I don' think any of these young guys are good enough to deserve a win over the two old legends.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a fair point. They are young guys in their prime (Brook and Thurman are completely unexposed). As brilliant as the old boys are, they're not going to give the young ones a chance.

Before the super six Andre Ward was an outsider. Two years later he was rated one of the P4P best in the world.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    It's a fair point. They are young guys in their prime (Brook and Thurman are completely unexposed). As brilliant as the old boys are, they're not going to give the young ones a chance.

Before the super six Andre Ward was an outsider. Two years later he was rated one of the P4P best in the world.
    Good point. Mayweather and Pacquiao might just get old overnight if put in with one of those guys.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive always maintained Khan is all wrong for Floyd, which is why I think Floyd isnt going to fight him. I can also see Thurman and Brook being all wrong for Pacquiao

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    oh yes

well said pauli

Yeah you would expect Floyd to have an easy time with a crude fighter like Maidana but Maidana has developed a deceptive jab with Garcia and Floyd didn't expect that.
    I just hope Floyd and Pac have a good battle then rematch and retire because I don' think any of these young guys are good enough to deserve a win over the two old legends.
    id like to see mayweather made to look a cunt
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayweather and Pacquaio aren't true WWs. What people forget is that guys cut weight to make their weight classes. The guy who weighs in as 147 often walks into the ring at 160 or above. Floyd and Pac have always come to the ring very near their weigh-in weight at WW. Sometimes Floyd has came in the same on fight night as he was at the weigh in. Both guys are able to successfully compete at WW because of their immense talent.

That being said, we've seen both guys slow down over the years, and as both guys start nearing their 40th birthdays, I have to wonder how they would handle these giant, athletic WW's who are in the prime of their careers.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd and Pac Man are the 2 best welterweights now. Both beat Khan, Thurman and Brooks but a year from now they will be older and these fighters as good so could see them beat the old legends if they were given the chance.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information