What things can i do to build up my punching speed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Building up punching speed

A speed bag which is giving me a hard a$$ time right now.
    You don't have to hate a man to completely destroy him.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Punch properly- that is, by shifting your weight on your feet twisting your hips and shoulders. Your punches, especially the straight punches, should come directly from the shoulder and be driven be the sudden turn at the waist/hips. Timing is also important; it doesn't make much sense to be so fast that you are out of stnc with somebody you are trying to counterpunch. Timing is more important than speed. Understanding range and distance so as not to be over extended and reaching with punches. On the double end bag try this; start it with your jab (always fully extending the arm) and circling. With every other punch only hit the bag as it comes to you and move your hands as little as possible- envision hitting it with your shoulders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cringer
    What things can i do to build up my punching speed
    im no boxing trainer, but what i recommend doing is really fast reps with dumbbells, nothing heavy just what you can handle.

also take a dumbbell in each hand and shadow box as if you would with gloves on. it feels like punching underwater. punch as fast as you possibly can in bursts. this is bound to give you some explosivness.

ez.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

quote author=greynotsoold link=topic=28078.msg300575#msg300575 date=1142217346]
    Punch properly- that is, by shifting your weight on your feet twisting your hips and shoulders. Your punches, especially the straight punches, should come directly from the shoulder and be driven be the sudden turn at the waist/hips. Timing is also important; it doesn't make much sense to be so fast that you are out of stnc with somebody you are trying to counterpunch. Timing is more important than speed. Understanding range and distance so as not to be over extended and reaching with punches. On the double end bag try this; start it with your jab (always fully extending the arm) and circling. With every other punch only hit the bag as it comes to you and move your hands as little as possible- envision hitting it with your shoulders.
    [/quote]

And once you are throwing those punches correctly no longer think about throwing them think about having them back in guard position instead; so the punch is unhindered by pre thought then move your mind into doubles and triples just for training purposes.
    Before you can do something you have to think it first but before you can go into the zone and fight free and let your hands go you have to except knowing and not think anymore then you feel it all as your doing it and placed and spaced speed is natural in that state.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    I know what your saying Grey, although "arm punches" seem like they are fast, I feel much stronger and faster when I put my hips into it. Weird, since you'd think that moving more of your body would take more time, but in the end it all makes you faster. At least I feel faster when I move everything, shoulders, hips, legs, etc. (cc next 24)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

whats been said is very important. correct punching technique is essential to building speed.

however, if you want excersizes you can do to improve speed... just keep boxing.
    shadow boxing with correct technique will build up and provide endurance for the muscles used for punching . hitting the bags will also build up and train all the muscles youll need, so heyl be able to respond quicker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Medina

also take a dumbbell in each hand and shadow box as if you would with gloves on. it feels like punching underwater. punch as fast as you possibly can in bursts. this is bound to give you some explosivness.

don't do that. Its a good way to tear muscles.

punch with bigger gloves, not weights
    &quot;WE ARE HERE TO HELP EACH OTHER GET THROUGH THIS THING, WHATEVER IT IS&quot;<br /><br />Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[/quote]

don't do that. Its a good way to tear muscles.

punch with bigger gloves, not weights
    [/quote]

really? shit thats what iv been doin for 2 weeks. ok i learn and move on, thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gyrokai
    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    I know what your saying Grey, although "arm punches" seem like they are fast, I feel much stronger and faster when I put my hips into it. Weird, since you'd think that moving more of your body would take more time, but in the end it all makes you faster. At least I feel faster when I move everything, shoulders, hips, legs, etc. (cc next 24)
    I thought you were suppose to lead with your hand

Thread Information