Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Leg exercises

I keep reading that powerful legs are where the powerful punch emnates from,so which exercises help to build the legs?? Also,how comes boxers legs are skinny??

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Leg exercises

size isn't the be all end all of muscular power. Most people you see now days with huge muscles have barely done any training and over done it on the suppliments, they're just pumped full of water.

Which boxers have Skinny legs? Skinny compared to who? Arnold Schwartzaneger? :P Most of the lighter weights do from all the drying up they do to make the weight, and at lighter weights the focus isn't on power.

Look at guys like a Prime Mike Tyson, his legs where like tree stumps.

Theres plenty you cna do to work your legs out, squats etc.

I do a variety of squats in teh gym, but in my experience the best sport specific exercise for boxing and explosive leg power is sprinting, especially hill and stair sprints, repeated (shuttle runs) etc.

I normally do them in the course of my normal run.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh ok.Thanks.Squats,how many reps/sets? Naw,I mean look at guys like Chico Corrales,Tito,Rafaeul Marquez,their legs are very skinny!!! Also,when would you sprint in your run,say 3 mins,jog,1 min sprint?? How often do you go running personally Adam and howm far?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Me personally, I run 4 miles and on the there are various hills which I sprint up and down so many times depending on there height and steepness.

On the root I run up plenty of hills, and on teh flats I run at a pace barely faster than Jogging, after about 2 miles I come to the hill area of the run. The steepest hill is about a quater or a mile so I don't sprint it, I just run it as fast as I can (jogging, sprinting and running are different, theres more to it than just speed ) up and down three times. then I get to a steeper hill, but its only about 10 meters, I sprint that one at full out speed 5 times up and down before jogging the 2 odd miles back home.

You can rust fast for a minute, but you can't sprint full out for a minute unless your super man

I hate to say it aswell, most of the guys you listed are either light, coloured or both. With out trying to offend any one, alot of coloured people have 'chicken legs'...

Look at Jeff Lacy, massive upper body, tiny legs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB
    Most people you see now days with huge muscles have barely done any training and over done it on the suppliments, they're just pumped full of water.
    *cough*

wtf

1) bodybuilders work very hard in the gym, they dont use supplements, lie back and wtach the muscle grow itself

2) even bodybuilders on steroids have to work hard, steroids help the muscle growth and recouperation. I've yet to see a vail of steroids bench 500lbs on its own

3) their legs are not full of water... if that was the case they would be walking around like big water balloons afraid at the mere sight of a hyperdermic needle. The legs are all muscle...

4) they havent over done it on anything, they want to be that size so they use supplements to help achive thier goal.

in response to the kids origional post:

squats
    lunges

hamstring curls

calf raises

something easy for a boxer with gym access can do these

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When did I say body builder?

you see it all the time? Joe public comes into a gym does a few weights and drowns himself in creatine, before hitting the sun bed and wearing a tight T shirt... :P

I suppose I should of put the most people with huge muscles in quotation marks, I'm talking about the numptys who seem to forgot the training part of... training

Thread Information