Thread: Mike Quarry ~ Forced To Fight On By Father ~ 'Road To Palookaville'

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mike Quarry ~ Forced To Fight On By Father ~ 'Road To Palookaville'

March 1, 1978

Mike Quarry >
    "I will continue until I lose one more time. I've had '2-Bouts' since coming back
    5-Weeks ago. I'm getting stronger, I can feel it."

"That 'Draw' in Wichita, Kansas last month, was a 'Hometown Rip-Off'. And I beat
    Ronnie Wilson last week. He's a tough veteran, a real tough guy."

"I can make it back. All I ask for is a chance. I feel that I have 'one' good year left
    in me. Just let me fight."

Jack Quarry >
    "There is no quit in the Quarry's. I wasn't going to let Mike quit after that loss to
    Mike Rossman last year {May 11, 1977}."

"We have an offer of { $12,500 } to fight Michael Spinks on March 31st, and on CBS-TV.
    We're taking it. Mike has too much experience for Spinks. But, they want it as an 8-Rounder
    so that Spinks will have a better chance. He isn't ready for 10-Rounders yet."

"I told Bob Arum that I would agree to an 8-Rounder, but that I want 'fair judges' and
    and an 'option' in the contract for a rematch, or another TV Fight in 3 months with
    another $12,500 purse amount."

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 06-09-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Friday ~ March 10, 1978

Coliseum ~ San Diego, California

Attendance ........ 1760
    Gate Receipts .... $12,812

* Mike Quarry - 60-9-5 {15 KO's} ~ 5' 11" ~ 177 lbs. ~ {Age; 27 years, 0 months}
    vs.
    * Pete McIntyre - 11-4-1 {8 KO's} ~ 5' 11" ~ 174 lbs. ~ {Age; 24 years, 2 months}
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ The Skinny ~

Mike Quarry had fought only 2-weeks earlier in San Diego {February 24th against Ronnie Wilson}.

Mike was in Anaheim, getting ready for his bout with Michel Spinks in 3-Weeks {March 31st}.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ The Skinny II ~

On Tuesday, March 7th > Jack Quarry gets a call from San Diego, asking if his son Mike would
    be able to fill in for the 'Main Event' > Friday Night fight at the Coliseum.

Originally, Alvaro Lopez of Los Angeles was to come in to face 'local' Pete McIntyre. But Lopez
    pulled out when he got a better fight purse offer for a bout in Las Vegas.

Jack Quarry is offered a Fight Purse of { $3000 } to get Mike down to San Diego. Jack accepts
    the bout on short notice.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ The Skinny III ~

Pete McIntyre is being billed with a record of 11-4-1 with {8 KO's}. Though this is 'spotty', as
    it appears that his record is > 6-8-1 with {4 KO"s}.

That being said, Pete has gone 5-3-1 with {3 KO's} in his past '9-Bouts'. Pete who is a local
    fighter from San Diego can 'punch', but he has little defense and a 'shaky' chin.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 06-09-2015 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post
    Friday ~ March 10, 1978

Coliseum ~ San Diego, California

Attendance ........ 1760
    Gate Receipts .... $12,812

* Mike Quarry - 60-9-5 {15 KO's} ~ 5' 11" ~ 177 lbs. ~ {Age; 27 years, 0 months}
    vs.
    * Pete McIntyre - 11-4-1 {8 KO's} ~ 5' 11" ~ 174 lbs. ~ {Age; 24 years, 2 months}
    ~ The Skinny ~

Mike Quarry had fought only 2-weeks earlier in San Diego {February 24th against Ronnie Wilson}.

Mike was in Anaheim, getting ready for his bout with Michel Spinks in 3-Weeks {March 31st}.
    ~ The Skinny II ~

On Tuesday, March 7th > Jack Quarry gets a call from San Diego, asking if his son Mike would
    be able to fill in for the 'Main Event' > Friday Night fight at the Coliseum.

Originally, Alvaro Lopez of Los Angeles was to come in to face 'local' Pete McIntyre. But Lopez
    pulled out when he got a better fight purse offer for a bout in Las Vegas.

Jack Quarry is offered a Fight Purse of { $3000 } to get Mike down to San Diego. Jack accepts
    the bout on short notice.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ The Skinny III ~

Pete McIntyre is being billed with a record of 11-4-1 with {8 KO's}. Though this is 'spotty', as
    it appears that his record is > 6-8-1 with {4 KO"s}.

That being said, Pete has gone 5-3-1 with {3 KO's} in his past '9-Bouts'. Pete who is a local
    fighter from San Diego can 'punch', but he has little defense and a 'shaky' chin.

~ Mike Quarry 'Upset' ~ Bombed Out By Unknown In San Diego ~

Mike Quarry's career appears to be over, as he was 'bombed out' by little-known San Diego
    fighter Pete McIntyre.

Quarry, who took the bout on only 3-days notice, was expecting an easy trip here at the
    Coliseum against McIntyre, but he was in for a 'San Diego Surprise'.

Quarry got off to a good start during the first 2-Rounds, as he displayed fast-hands and sharp
    punches by landing with his quick left-hand, and short rights to the head.

But in Round 3, Quarry abandoned his boxing skills and decided to 'trade' with the hard-hitting
    McIntyre. It was a 'big mistake' as McIntyre slammed Quarry with wide left-hooks and long
    right-hands to the head. By the end of the Round, Quarry was both 'groggy' and wobbling on
    shaky pins, to go along with a swollen left-eye.

In Round 4, a confident Pete McIntyre came out by firing in 'thudding' left jabs into Quarry's
    swollen left-eye. McIntyre was aggressive, and hammered Quarry when he got in close. Quarry
    had no fire-power in his punches to hold off the 'hard-swinging' McIntyre, and was beaten
    around the Ring during Round 4.

In Round 5, McIntyre continued to slam away on a 'near defenseless' Quarry. At the {1:20 Mark},
    McIntyre caught Quarry with a hard left-hook to the chin, 'dropping' Quarry to the canvas for a
    '4-Count'.

Quarry got up 'groggy', but wanted to continue. As the action resumed, McIntyre 'unloaded' with
    a barrage of punches, and drove Quarry into a Corner. There, McIntyre ripped away and 'dropped'
    Quarry again with several punches to the head.

The Referee - Frank Rustich counted out Mike Quarry at {1:54} of Round 5.

Fight Purses
    * Mike Quarry ........ $3000 + {7.5% of the Gate Receipts $960} = $3960
    * Pete McIntyre ..... $1250

After Bout Comments

Jack Quarry >
    "We were set up with a 'ringer'. That guy {Pete McIntyre} is no mediocre fighter. He's a big
    bomber. I was told that he was decent, but not like this. We were set up."

Mike Quarry >
    "I was doing fine, until I got caught on my left-eye in Round 3. The eye 'swelled up' and I
    couldn't see his punches coming in, especially the right-hands."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 06-09-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tuesday ~ June 13, 1978

Ice World ~ Totowa, New Jersey

* Mike Quarry - 60-10-5 {15 KO's} ~ 5' 11" ~ 177 lbs. ~ {Age; 27 years, 3 months}
    vs.
    * Kevin Smith - 11-2-0 {9 KO's} ~ 6' 0" ~ 176 lbs. ~ {Age; 20 years, 2 months}
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Billed as;

The Pro versus The Kid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ The Skinny ~

Mike Quarry >
    Despite getting 'flattened' {L KO 5} by Pete McIntyre on March 10, 1978. Mike was still supposed to go
    ahead and fight Michael Spinks.

The 'original' date of March 31st, was pushed back 7-Days to Friday Night - April 7th to give Mike Quarry
    an extra week to recover from the Knockout Loss. The bout was still set for Las Vegas.

But, Michael Spinks 'pulled out', due to a hand injury. That left Mike Quarry 'available'.

Enter > Lou Duva

Lou Duva was the 'Manager/Trainer' of the 'highly-touted' Kevin Smith of Jersey City, New Jersey. The
    20 year-old 'Ballsy Irish Kid' was super popular in North Jersey, and was one hell of a puncher.

Lou Duva felt that his fighter needed a 'name win' on his record to get Kevin Smith into the Top 15 of
    Ring Magazine's World Rankings.

Lou contacted Jack and Mike Quarry in mid-May 1977, and offered them a Fight Purse of { $5000 },
    a Percentage of the Gate, plus '3' Round-Trip Airline Tickets and {Hotel Expenses} to come to
    Totowa, New Jersey to battle Kevin Smith on the June 13th bout.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 06-09-2015 at 09:59 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post
    Tuesday ~ June 13, 1978

* Mike Quarry - 60-10-5 {15 KO's} ~ 5' 11" ~ 177 lbs. ~ {Age; 27 years, 3 months}
    vs.
    * Kevin Smith - 11-2-0 {9 KO's} ~ 6' 0" ~ 176 lbs. ~ {Age; 20 years, 2 months}
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Billed as;

The Pro versus The Kid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ The Skinny ~

Mike Quarry >
    Despite getting 'flattened' {L KO 5} by Pete McIntyre on March 10, 1978. Mike was still supposed to go
    ahead and fight Michael Spinks.

The 'original' date of March 31st, was pushed back 7-Days to Friday Night - April 7th to give Mike Quarry
    an extra week to recover from the Knockout Loss. The bout was still set for Las Vegas.

But, Michael Spinks 'pulled out', due to a hand injury. That left Mike Quarry 'available'.

Enter > Lou Duva

Lou Duva was the 'Manager/Trainer' of the 'highly-touted' Kevin Smith of Jersey City, New Jersey. The
    20 year-old 'Ballsy Irish Kid' was super popular in North Jersey, and was one hell of a puncher.

Lou Duva felt that his fighter needed a 'name win' on his record to get Kevin Smith into the Top 15 of
    Ring Magazine's World Rankings.

Lou contacted Jack and Mike Quarry in mid-May 1977, and offered them a Fight Purse of { $5000 },
    a Percentage of the Gate, plus '3' Round-Trip Airline Tickets and {Hotel Expenses} to come to
    Totowa, New Jersey to battle Kevin Smith on the June 13th bout.

Attendance ........... 3384
    Gate Receipts ...... $22,300

~ Pro Quarry and Kid Smith Battle To Draw ~

Mike Quarry and local start Kevin Smith battled to a 10-Round Draw in an action bout here
    in front of a 'Standing Room Only' packed house.

The visiting 27 year-old Mike Quarry came into the Ring with '60-Wins' in '75-Bouts' over a 9-Year
    career, against a young 20 year-old Kevin Smith who only had '13-Bouts' in a short 2-Year career.

Over the early going, the strong and 'hard-swinging' Smith attacked with a rampage, and pounded
    the veteran as he kept Quarry 'pinned' on the Ropes during much of the first 3-Rounds.

Smith continued to swing-for-the-fences' in Round 4, but at the end of the session, the younger
    'Kid' appeared arm-weary from the high-volume of punches he threw.

Starting in Round 5, Quarry used his clever moves by sticking-and-sliding, as he tagged Smith
    with left-hooks and left-uppercuts.

Quarry continued with good boxing during Rounds 6 and 7, as Smith labored with slow-punches
    to the body.

In Round 8, Smith was able to put some pressure on Quarry, as he backed the visiting veteran
    into the Ropes, where he mauled him with body punches. Quarry was forced to cover up, but
    he did get in some good 'counters' over the last 30-Seconds.

The last 2-Rounds were fought with both fighters at Center-Ring trading, then Smith would bull
    Quarry into the Ropes and wail away with slow-wide hooks to the body. As Quarry would patiently
    wait for an opening, and counter with quick bursts in Smith's face.

Scorecards
    * Referee - Larry Hazard ....... 47-46 > {4-3-3 in Rounds} > Kevin Smith
    * Judge - Harold Lederman ... 46-44 > {6-4-0 in Rounds} > Mike Quarry
    * Judge - Phil Newman ......... 45-45 > {5-5-0 in Rounds} > 'Even'

Fight Purses
    * Mike Quarry .......... $5000 + {5% of the Gate Receipts $1115} = $6115
    * Kevin Smith ........... $3500

Mike Quarry >
    "For them to call it a 'Draw' in his Hometown, that means I won. I let him punch himself
    out over the first 4-Rounds, and then it was all mine."

"He's a 'ballsy kid' who is very strong. But you need more than strength and power to defeat
    World-Rated fighters. You need skill and smarts too."

Kevin Smith >
    "I can't believe I got screwed in my Hometown. I won this fight. I won it easy."

Lou Duva >
    "I guess the only way to settle this is for a rematch. We can do this again in 8-Weeks,
    if Mike Quarry is up to it."

Al Certo >
    "It was good fight. It could have gone either way. I'd like to see a rematch between these two,
    sure."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 06-10-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

July 2, 1978

~ Mike Quarry Still Fighting On, Hopes For Bout With Michael Spinks ~

27 year-old Mike Quarry has been fighting as Professional for 9-Years, but
    the Ring Battles have taken their toll on the clever-boxer.

But still, Mike hopes for that one break that will get him a 2nd-chance at a
    World Championship bout.

Mike Quarry >
    "I'm still trudging. I was supposed to fight Michael Spinks on {April 7th}, but
    he injured his hand and the bout was 'cancelled'. I'm still hoping that we can
    do it, as I feel that I can give him a good go in the Ring."

"I have another bout scheduled for July 12th up in Oakland. I'm taking on that
    rough-house guy {Tommy Evans}. Nobody else will fight him, so they called me
    up. I turn down no one, as long as the money {Fight Purse} is fair. They all
    want to have me on their record as a win. But I don't fall easily."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 06-10-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wednesday ~ July 12, 1978

Auditorium ~ Oakland, California

Attendance........... 2212
    Gate Receipts .... $17,650

* Mike Quarry - 60-10-6 {15 KO's} ~ 5' 11" ~ 177 lbs. ~ {Age; 27 years, 4 months}
    vs.
    * Tommy Evans - 11-2-1 {11 KO's} ~ 5' 10 1/2" ~ 178 lbs. ~ {Age 25 years, 6 months}
    ~ The Skinny ~

Mike Quarry travels 'north', to take on local bomber Tommy Evans. Mike needs a
    win here, to keep his chanced alive for a Television Bout with Michael Spinks.

Tommy Evans is a rough-house 'Pier-6' brawler. Evans is physically strong, but is
    an 'unpolished' fighter who comes in wide-open while swing from the 'rafters'.

~ Evans Stops Quarry In Brawl ~

Local 'brawler' Tommy Evans stopped former Contender Mike Quarry by TKO in the
    8th, after Quarry was battered and badly cut over both eyes.

The bout got off to a 'rousing' start, as both fighters immediately went to 'toe-to-toe'
    trading at Center-Ring.

While Quarry was the better-skilled boxer, Evans had the heavier-hands and rocked the
    veteran backwards. The action was heated during the first 4-Rounds, as both fighters
    unloaded with their full arsenal.

By the end of Round 5, Quarry was sporting bruised eyes and blood was coming from
    his mouth. Evans had a swollen left-eye.

But Evans strength started to take over in Round 6, as he battered Quarry into the
    Ropes, where he delivered his 'wide-haymakers' on Quarry's head as the veteran
    started to fade.

In Round 7, Evans tore into Quarry, and slammed in several right-hand bombs into
    Quarry's face, cutting him over his left-eye. Referee - Rudy Ortega looked in several
    times to checkout Mike Quarry's condition.

Coming out for Round 8, Quarry looked spent and had nothing left. Evans moved in
    and jabbed at Quarry's ace with thudding lefts for the first 40-Seconds, sending
    Quarry back to the Ropes.

Evans then moved in, and unleashed a '12-Punch' barrage on Quarry who turned
    side-ways.

Referee - Rudy Ortega then, moved in and called the bout over at the {1:01 Mark}
    of Round 8.

Scorecards at the end of Round 7
    * 4-2 .. Tommy Evans
    * 4-2 .. Tommy Evans
    * 3-2 .. Tommy Evans

Fight Purses
    * Mike Quarry ....... $4125 = {25% of the Gate Receipts, with a Purse Guarantee of $3500}
    * Tommy Evans..... $3500

Mike Quarry >
    "I have no excuses tonight. He was stronger than me. He {Tommy Evans} is
    a rough-guy. He's like an old-time 'brawler' from the docks on the pier. All
    arms, shoulders and forearms."

Tommy Evans
    "I hadn't fought in 8-Months, so I was a bit worried if the bout went past
    5-Rounds. But Mike didn't have anything behind his punches, so I just walked
    through him. He's still a good boxer, but I think his time has passed. He should
    get out of Boxing now, as he is starting to get beat up."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 06-10-2015 at 07:53 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Following the {L TKO 8} loss to Tommy Evans on July 13, 1978.

Mike 'retired again' with a final record of 60-11-6, with '4' stoppage losses,
    and a badly scarred up left eye-brow.

Mike returned to Bakersfield, California and opened up a Restaurant Café.

Mike was quietly retired for 15-Months, when in November 1979 - he got
    the 'itch' again.

November 2, 1979

Mike Quarry >
    "Staying away from the Ring for over 1-Year was the best thing for me. I
    needed the rest. My body now feels fine, and my skin has healed to 95%."

"I think that I could get back into the mix, after a few tune-up bouts. I have
    been offered a bout in Lake Tahoe for the end of the month {November 23rd}.
    I think that I will give it a go. I can get ready in 3-Weeks, and be fine for a
    10-Rounder."

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Friday ~ November 23, 1979

Hyatt House ~ Lake Tahoe, Nevada

Attendance ......... 1675
    Gate Receipts .... $12,250

* Mike Quarry - 60-11-6 {15 KO's} ~ 5' 11" ~ 181 lbs. ~ {Age; 28 years, 8 months}
    vs.
    * Pascual Ramirez - 8-4-1 {5 KO's} ~ 6' 0" ~ 180 lbs. ~ {Age; 21 years, 3 months}
    ~ The Skinny ~

Mike Quarry returns to the Ring after a 16-month absence. Mike has been training
    for 3 1/2 weeks, and has looked surprisingly sharp.

Pascual Ramirez is a young 21 year-old boxer from Los Angeles, with minimal
    {2-Years} experience.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Mike Quarry Returns With a Knockout Win ~

Former Light-Heavyweight contender - 28 1/2 year-old Mike Quarry returned tonight
    and scored an 'impressive' {KO 8} win over young Pascual Ramirez.

Quarry displaying fast-hands and quick-combinations early in the bout, was too much
    for his inexperienced opponent.

Ramirez was 'only' able to reach Quarry in Rounds 3 and 4 with some right-hands, but
    that was his only effective offense.

Quarry moved inside during Rounds 5 and 6, and worked the body of Ramirez with
    repeated left-hooks and short right-uppercuts, while wearing him down.

In Round 7, Quarry caught Ramirez with a left-hook and chopping right-hand to the jaw
    late in the session, and dropped the youngster for a '3-Count'.

In Round 8, Quarry battered the weakened Ramirez with body-punches, dropping him
    for 'twice' for short-counts during the session. Later in the Round, Quarry 'slammed' in a
    wide left-hook to the head, and Ramirez went down for the 3rd-time, causing an
    automatic stoppage at the {2:22 Mark}.

Fight Purses
    * Mike Quarry ........ $3000 {Plus Expenses}
    * Pascual Ramirez .. $1500 {Plus Expenses}

After Bout Comments

Mike Quarry >
    "It's just one-win. It's nothing to get all excited about. I fought well, and did pretty good
    for someone out of the Ring for almost a year-and-a-half."

"I'd gladly come back here again, if I get an offer. But it would have to be after the
    Holidays, as I'm running my Restaurant back in Bakersfield.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 06-11-2015 at 04:15 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saturday ~ August 30, 1980

Hyatt Tahoe ~ Incline Village, Nevada

Attendance ......... 1175
    Gate Receipts .... $10,600

* Mike Quarry - 61-11-6 {16 KO's} ~ 5' 11" ~ 180 lbs. ~ {Age; 29 years, 5 months}
    vs.
    * Alvin Dominey - 13-7-0 {10 KO's} ~ 6' 0" ~ 181 lbs. ~ {Age; 23 years, 5 months}
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ The Skinny ~

Mike Quarry is returning again, after a 'idle period' of 9-Months. This will only be
    Mikes '2nd-Bout' in 2-Years.

Mike has stated that he may now compete in the 'newly created' Cruiserweight
    Division.

Alvin Dominey from Orlando, Florida is the Texas State Cruiserweight Champion.
    Dominey has fairly good skills as a 'modified' Club-Fighter, and he carries a
    good right-hand.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ Mike Quarry Wins Decision in Nevada ~

Comebacking 'again', Mike Quarry won a 10-Round Unanimous Decision over
    Texas State Cruiserweight Champion - Alvin Dominey.

The 29 year-old Quarry using his old boxing skills of quick left-hands and fast counters
    beat Alvin Dominey to the punch throughout the somewhat 'spirited' 10-Round bout.

Quarry was in command in nearly every Round, and had the bout in his 'pocket by
    the end of Round 7, as Dominey could not trap Quarry to unload his hard right-hand.

Dominey made a 'trying' effort over the last 3-Rounds, as Quarry danced-and-played
    his way around the perimeter of the Ring, while entertaining the dinner-theatre
    crowd of { 1175 }.

Scorecards
    * 47-44 = {6-3-1 in Rounds} > Mike Quarry
    * 48-45 = {5-3-2 in Rounds} > Mike Quarry
    * 48-46 = {4-2-4 in Rounds} > Mike Quarry

Fight Purses
    * Mike Quarry ........ $2500 + {Hotel and Travel Expenses}
    * Alvin Dominey ..... $1800 + {Hotel and Travel Expenses}

Mike Quarry >
    "I like it here in Tahoe. The people are great, and the area is very relaxing. I thought
    it was a good bout for the spectators. We both put on a good performance, and that
    is what the crowd wants to see. A good effort."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 06-11-2015 at 09:17 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

January 16, 1981

~ Mike Quarry To Fight In Australia ~

29 1/2 year-old Mike Quarry has agreed to a 10-Round bout in Sydney, Australia
    against British Light-Heavyweight Champion - Bunny Johnson. The bout will take
    place at the Horden Pavillion, a 5800 seating capacity arena.

Quarry, with a record of 62-11-6 with {16 KOs} hopes that an impressive win
    in Australia, will lead to future bouts there.

Mike Quarry >
    "There is a young teenage Fight Promoter {Peter Foster} who has put together
    a fine Fight Card in Sydney. I'm leaving tomorrow, and the bout is scheduled
    for next Sunday {February 1st}."

"The winner of this bout, will move on to face Australian - Tony Mundine next
    in a big money fight. I will come out on top and win. I hear that Johnson is
    in good shape, but he's too old now. I'll stop him in 8."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Quarry has already received $3000 in 'up-front' Training Expenses and
    Air-Travel. Quarry will receive a Fight Purse of { $7000 } for his bout.

Quarry last fought 4-Months ago, and hopes a win will 'surge him' forward.

Bunny Johnson, the 33 year-old Jamaican who is based in the United Kingdom
    has a record of 53-15-1 with {31 KO's}. Johnson will receive a Fight Purse of
    { $10,000 }.

Johnson, who has been the British Light-Heavyweight Champion since March 8, 1977
    has successfully defended his title '3-Times' during that span.

Bunny Johnson {Age; 33 years, 10 months} is also trying to salvage his career, as
    the Jamaican has gone {3-5-0} in his last '8-Bouts' since November 1977.

Bunny Johnson >
    "The American better be in good shape, because I'm in the best shape I have been
    in since 1977. He'll {Mike Quarry} never get out of Round 4."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 06-12-2015 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Friday ~ February 6, 1981

Sydney, Australia

~ Mike Quarry Talks About Career, and Upcoming Bout ~

The once handsome fighter with the boyish-looks, now has the 'scarred'
    face of an older fighter. Only 1-month shy of Age 30, Quarry looks completely
    worn down. His once tight-body, is now a 'soft' torso.

Mike Quarry>

I have been here for nearly 2-Weeks getting ready. I was supposed to fight
    Bunny Johnson last Sunday {February 1st}, but the Promoter {Peter Foster}
    pushed it back another week to do more promoting.

That was good, because it gave me an extra week to prepare. I've lost 6 1/2
    Pounds since I've been here, and I feel just about right.

They are expecting 4000 plus on Sunday at the Horden Pavillion, but they are
    hoping for a turn-out of close to 5000.

I've been staying here at the Hilton Hotel, where they treat me great. This is
    a 4-Star Hotel, with all the 'specialties'. This young 18 year-old Promoter is
    doing the right thing for the boxers. All 'First Class' accommodations.

This kid is going to be big in the future. He's really bright, and has some good
    advisors with him.

As for my career. This 'is it'. I win here, and then it's Tony Mundine next. I'm
    ready for {Bunny} Johnson. I'll box a little, then 'Rope-a-Dope' some, and then
    take him out in the 8th Round. He's an old veteran, but he's still got a little
    something left, so I'll have to wear him down some before opening up.

I just have to be careful early, for the first 4 or 5 Rounds. I'm not as fast as I once
    was, but I'm still clever in the Ring when I want to be. When it's all on the line,
    that is when I'm at my best.

Regarding my career >

I was on a roll in 1976. I was supposed to fight John Conteh for the WBC Championship,
    and then he pulled out {claiming a bad cold}. It was total 'Bullshit'.

Then I accepted a 'foolish' bout. It was on December 11, 1976. It was back in
    New York City. I lost a tough10-Round 'Majority' Decision to Mike Rossman. It was a
    'mistake' to fight him in New York City, because he was a Madison Square Garden fighter.

He was 'Jewish', and I got jobbed by '2' Jewish Judges. I watch the film of that bout
    all the time, and I won that fight. It was 'close', but I won it.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 06-12-2015 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sunday ~ February 8, 1981

Horden Pavillion ~ Sydney Australia

Promoter ........... Peter Foster {Age; 18}
    Attendance ........ 1250 {Capacity; 5800}
    Gate Receipts ..... $10,000

* Mike Quarry - 62-11-6 {16 KO's} ~ 5' 11" ~ 183 lbs. ~ {Age; 29 years, 11 months}
    vs.
    * Bunny Johnson - 53-15-1 {31 KO} ~ 5' 11" ~ 181 lbs. ~ {Age; 33 years, 10 months}

~ A Hard Day For Quarry, Battered By Bunny ~

American -Mike Quarry was 'thumped' by British Light Heavyweight Champion
    Bunny Johnson, and was eventually stopped by a TKO in the 7th Round.

Quarry came out boxing in the 1st-Round, but by the {2:00 Mark} he was taking
    punishment, as the 'muscular' Jamaican 'tore' into him with wicked hooks to the
    head and body, rocking him into Ropes. Quarry was in 'survival-mode' for the last
    30-Seconds of the Opening Round.

To avoid getting tagged, Quarry went to fast-moving and circling in Rounds 2 and 3,
    as Johnson {181 lbs.} pursued with hooks to the body.

In Round 4, the American was able to get off with some 'quick-leads', and did hold
    off the Jamaican with a series-of-flurries. Johnson was wild with some of his counters,
    and in one exchange he missed Quarry with a right-hook and spun around 270*,
    ending up with his back towards Quarry.

With Johnson in a near defenseless position, Quarry moved in fast, and delivered
    '2' left-hooks into the left-side of Johnson's head, and right-hand into the back.

Referee - Alf Weymark called a break, 'warned' Quarry for the infraction.

When action resumed, Quarry continued with his best Round of the bout.

In Round 5, Quarry went back to boxing-and moving for the first-half of the session
    as Johnson waited to counter. But the 'soft' American {183 lbs.} started to slow down
    over the second-half of the session, and went to the ropes and played 'Rope-A-Dope'
    as Johnson moved in and worked the body.

In Round 6, Johnson moved in close on Quarry who laid on the Ropes, and the Jamaican
    dished out 'heavy-punishment', by slamming in heavy-hooks to the head and body, as
    Quarry was trying his best 'Muhammad Ali' Rope-A-Dope imitation.

Quarry 'foolishly' dropped-his-hands and invited Johnson to hit him in the chin
    as the Jamaican was slamming away with a 'two-fisted' attack. Johnson then came
    up with 'darting' left-hand to the head that staggered Quarry at the {2:43 Mark}.

Johnson then opened up with a ''two-fisted' barrage to the head, and dropped
    Quarry at the {2:57 Mark} of the Round. Quarry got up at the '8-Count' after
    the Bell had sounded.

In Round 7, Johnson pursed a 'spent' Quarry as there was 'no relief' for the American,
    who was forced back into the Ropes and to take heavy-punishment.

Johnson raked over a 'near defenseless' Quarry with several barrages to the head,
    forcing Referee - Alf Weymark to call the bout over at the {1:10 Mark} of Round 7.

After Bout Comments

Mike Quarry >
    "There goes my career. I said that I had to win, or it was over."

"I was doing fine until the 6th Round, and then he 'head-butted' me. I have never
    been butted so hard. It was like getting hit with a baseball bat."

Bunny Johnson >
    "I came into the bout in great shape. He was 'not', as he started to fade by the 5th Round.
    He was not going to beat me in the shape that he was in."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 06-12-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Thread Information