Thread: Erislandy Lara might be the best fighter that rarely gets talked about

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Erislandy Lara might be the best fighter that rarely gets talked about

I've been off this site for a few years. And please mind the title "the best fighter that rarely gets talked about"...not the best fighter period (trying to stave off any knucklehead comments with that one.

But lets face it, imho, the only reason this guy isn't undefeated is bad judges. I thought he handled both Paul Williams and Canelo pretty well. I've been a big Canelo fan for a while but I don't think Canelo deserved to win that fight.

Lara should be in the conversation as one of the best in his weight class. The guy fights off his back foot well and knows how to use his long arms to pepper guys while he's backing up.

I think a fight between him and Golovkin would be very interesting. With Lara's back up counter style and Golovkins ability to cut off the ring would make for a fun fight for true boxing fans to watch. Let me know what you guys think.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Erislandy Lara might be the best fighter that rarely gets talked about

i thought that canelo beat him. it was close but ugly. he is a pretty good but not great. ive seen him look really good but also seen him look mediocre.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Erislandy Lara might be the best fighter that rarely gets talked about

I don't think he's great either, he has a style I really like, but in a big way he's one dimensional and only shines in a certain type of fight. Angulo, Molina and Martirosyan made him look quite bad in spots, and I think Canelo deserved the decision in their fight as well.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I don't think he's great either, he has a style I really like, but in a big way he's one dimensional and only shines in a certain type of fight. Angulo, Molina and Martirosyan made him look quite bad in spots, and I think Canelo deserved the decision in their fight as well.
    That's how i see it as well. Can he shine no matter the style?
    Not sure yet.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm with the others in thinking Canelo won. Lara might be able to move and avoid GGG. But a better opponent would back GGG sometimes because GGG shuts down while he is backing up. I expect with his ability to cut off the ring GGG eventually catches up to a guy that only moves. And when he catches up he would inflict serious damage.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Canelo beat Lara as well in a close fight. Everyone wants a shot at Canelo because he's the biggest cash cow in the division. Lara got it and made it an ugly fight. Also, don't forget that Lara drew with Vanes and looked to be on his last legs against Angulo before the fight was arguably prematurely stopped. No doubt he's a good, solid fighter, but he's had many chances to shine against the top of the division, and has failed to put on great performances. I'm a big fan of his by the way, but he needs another standout performance, like the one he had against PWill a few years ago. Perhaps it's time for him to challenge Danny Jacobs for the WBA interim title or challenge the better Charlo brother and really make a statement. He's had too many chances, however, to feel sorry for him.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Canelo fight killed all the buzz he had. He deserved to lose and he fought a stinking fight. Before that, people were calling for Floyd to fight him.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I also had Canelo winning. It was close but Lara took too many rounds off. He has a tendency to land a superb counter but then walk away admiring his own work. He doesn't counter like Floyd by commanding the centre of the ring and I think he makes himself look bad in that respect. He can be superb, but he doesn't do it for the whole fight.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    The Canelo fight killed all the buzz he had. He deserved to lose and he fought a stinking fight. Before that, people were calling for Floyd to fight him.
    I've gone full circle with Lara. I didn't think much of him back in 2007 then I thought more and more highly of him. But when he has been given his chances he hasn't been willing to do that little extra. And now Andrade is out there daring him to fight but Lara goes silent and talks about a Canelo rematch or a GGG matchup. Lara needs to earn his spot again, he can't act too big for Andrade and DESERVING of a big fight. He needs to earn it if he can. If he can beat Andrade(very big if, I'll take Andrade) he deserves another chance at an earner.

Thread Information