Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we safely say that Hunter sucks as a trainer?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can we safely say that Hunter sucks as a trainer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    Like I said, Khan has ALWAYS been mostly speed. Without it, he has a low ring IQ, poor defense, no inside game, and a glass jaw.
    Oh I see. So you want Hunter to suck to justify your pre determined opinion.
    No, I'm saying it doesn't look like Hunter has improved Khan after Friday.

Khan is still vulnerable to the left hook, is vulnerable to overhand rights, looks uncomfortable on the back foot, still has no inside game, and still has poor defense.

And don't tell me, "Oh, Khan is still getting used to Hunter", because he's been with Khan for 4 fights now, Diaz, Collazo, Alexander, and Algieri. That's enough time to get used to a trainer.
    You say "still" so you know these were problems with Khan before Hunter. Yet you blame Hunter. And you see nothing strange about this?
    Well, it's the trainer's job to fix a fighter's flaws.

And it's not just Khan. Mares looked worse under Hunter.
    Last edited by VG_Addict; 06-01-2015 at 12:27 AM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    Like I said, Khan has ALWAYS been mostly speed. Without it, he has a low ring IQ, poor defense, no inside game, and a glass jaw.
    Oh I see. So you want Hunter to suck to justify your pre determined opinion.
    No, I'm saying it doesn't look like Hunter has improved Khan after Friday.

Khan is still vulnerable to the left hook, is vulnerable to overhand rights, looks uncomfortable on the back foot, still has no inside game, and still has poor defense.

And don't tell me, "Oh, Khan is still getting used to Hunter", because he's been with Khan for 4 fights now, Diaz, Collazo, Alexander, and Algieri. That's enough time to get used to a trainer.
    You say "still" so you know these were problems with Khan before Hunter. Yet you blame Hunter. And you see nothing strange about this?
    Well, it's the trainer's job to fix a fighter's flaws.

And it's not just Khan. Mares looked worse under Hunter.
    So you want Hunter to fix all those flaws? Perhaps he should just grab the first big bloke he sees on the streets and turn him into Lennox Lewis as well? Because it's so easy to fix anyone right?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How do you fix a guy that doesn't believe he needs fixing?

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hunter is a decent trainer.
    As the saying goes; styles make fights, maybe this exists with trainers?

I think every(great) trainer has worked with fighters they just couldn't improve_under any circumstances.
    A few examples:

Enzo Calzaghe great with Joe Calzaghe-sucked with Enzo Macrinelli.
    Freddie Roach got Toney who was already a great fighter-fortunate to have gotten Pac (and Hunter wouldn't look great as Pacquiao's trainer?)

Roach had a fighter named Justin Juuko- Roach did no better with him than Steward with Jermaine Taylor , or in this case Hunter with Khan.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My complaint about the Hunters is more about their fight plans. Barry Hunter had Peterson giving away half the fight to Garcia, and Virgil Hunter was surprised Algieri came out aggressively against Khan.

Trainers are supposed to be the brains, the guys with foresight who are on top of things. I'm not seeing that form the Hunters, lately.
    If I'm wrong, tell me.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    My complaint about the Hunters is more about their fight plans. Barry Hunter had Peterson giving away half the fight to Garcia, and Virgil Hunter was surprised Algieri came out aggressively against Khan.

Trainers are supposed to be the brains, the guys with foresight who are on top of things. I'm not seeing that form the Hunters, lately.
    If I'm wrong, tell me.
    That's a hell of a lot more reasonable than those that expect Hunter to turn a very flawed fighter into a perfect fighter.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan said he was flat in the fight because he was over trained, needs to get back his natural instinct and that Hunter is trying to turn him into Andre Ward which doesn't suit him. (That last part is blatantly obvious)

Wonder how much longer they'll be together? Goodnight vienna.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Khan said he was flat in the fight because he was over trained, needs to get back his natural instinct and that Hunter is trying to turn him into Andre Ward which doesn't suit him. (That last part is blatantly obvious)

Wonder how much longer they'll be together? Goodnight vienna.
    I thought he looked slower than normal. Against Alexander he was lightening quick but looked sluggish by comparison.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah he did look slower but I credited that to Algieri, who looks pretty swift himself. Maybe Khan did have an off night though due to leaving it in the gym
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe Khan did have an off night, but he's always looking for an excuse. Now apparently he's moaning because Hunter is trying to turn him into Andre Ward.
    If I was Hunter, I'd kick him out of the gym right now and tell him to find himself another trainer. He's had more fucking trainers than he's had fights!
    You can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear

El Kabong Guest

Meh...remember Algieri lasted the distance with Pacquiao as well. It takes more than 1-2 fights for a trainer to really make an impact.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah he did look slower but I credited that to Algieri, who looks pretty swift himself. Maybe Khan did have an off night though due to leaving it in the gym
    Damn, I hate that excuse! 'I trained too hard or too long and that's why I lost the fight.' That even makes Hunter look worse, and it doesn't do much for Khan's rep either. After 34 pro fights (and how many amateur?) Khan doesn't know when he's over doing it in the gym? Maybe the bottle tricks pushed him over the edge, or maybe he spent too much time battering defenseless bottles instead of training. I know fighters can and do over train, but why do we hear 'Best Camp Ever' before the fight and 'I Over Trained' after a poor performance?
    JDJ and Algieri made Hunter and Khan look bad, is what happened, with a better fight plan. Might have pulled it off if Hunter had lost his head. JDJ gets some points, Hunter drops some no way to get around it, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Damn, I hate that excuse! 'I trained too hard or too long and that's why I lost the fight.' That even makes Hunter look worse, and it doesn't do much for Khan's rep either. After 34 pro fights (and how many amateur?) Khan doesn't know when he's over doing it in the gym? Maybe the bottle tricks pushed him over the edge, or maybe he spent too much time battering defenseless bottles instead of training. I know fighters can and do over train, but why do we hear 'Best Camp Ever' before the fight and 'I Over Trained' after a poor performance?
    JDJ and Algieri made Hunter and Khan look bad, is what happened, with a better fight plan. Might have pulled it off if Hunter had lost his head. JDJ gets some points, Hunter drops some no way to get around it, in my opinion.
    I agree. Chad Dawson went through trainer after trainer making the same excuse. I (think) John David Jackson got thrown under the bus when Allen Green lost to Andre Ward.
    Claimed he was over trained.
    And was fighting in the wrong weight class.

El Kabong Guest

Chad Dawson was/is mental isn't he. He switched trainers like underwear...he NEVER learned his spacing, he'd smother himself vs anyone. He wanted to fight inside AND from distance with incompatible defense and attacks. You can't get and keep distance in attack AND have to use the Philly Shell/Shoulder roll. You either get in the pocket and need to utilize that defense in which case you need to tighten up your attack OR you're fighting from the outside and don't need that specific defense. I can understand wanting to change it up and confuse your opponent going inside and outside, but ffs he just tried doing waaaaay too much waaaay too often. He should have learned to fight within himself instead of being the Jack of All Trades but Master of none.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Chad Dawson was/is mental isn't he. He switched trainers like underwear...he NEVER learned his spacing, he'd smother himself vs anyone. He wanted to fight inside AND from distance with incompatible defense and attacks. You can't get and keep distance in attack AND have to use the Philly Shell/Shoulder roll. You either get in the pocket and need to utilize that defense in which case you need to tighten up your attack OR you're fighting from the outside and don't need that specific defense. I can understand wanting to change it up and confuse your opponent going inside and outside, but ffs he just tried doing waaaaay too much waaaay too often. He should have learned to fight within himself instead of being the Jack of All Trades but Master of none.
    Yeah. Personally, I think he has so much talent AND....skill.
    Not sure what happened to him. My best guess is what you've stated.
    Well said.

Thread Information