Thread: Create the perfect SOUTHPAW!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Create the perfect SOUTHPAW!

[QUOTE=IamInuit;1331503]
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Sadly he was a converted southpaw and I never saw him switch at all in his career.
    Mike Tyson was a converted southpaw? Wow never knew that. I know he knocked out Pinklon Thomas with a brutal combination from the southpaw stance.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=Beanflicker;1331506]
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Sadly he was a converted southpaw and I never saw him switch at all in his career.
    Mike Tyson was a converted southpaw? Wow never knew that. I know he knocked out Pinklon Thomas with a brutal combination from the southpaw stance.
    Interesting I'll have to watch that fight again. I know he'd square up in the kill zone but dont recall him going south.

Its interesting because most converted southpaws were designed to get the most out of the left hook for example Cooney, Oscar, hell I'm pretty sure Cotto was a southpaw. At the turn of the 20th century conversion was forced upon them because they were considered freaks.

I just realized the guys I matched together for the question are converted right handers lol

Well I know Winky is and am pretty sure Moorer was born right handed.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brutal southpaw beat down at the end. Technique looked a lot sloppier as a southpaw but I guess that's to be expected.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only saw glimpse of it from Tyson when he wanted to finish off his opponents as he did with Holmes.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't know Tyson was a southpaw either.. You mean he actually uses his left hand to write? I don't think being a converted southpaw would really help with switching stances though, that's a different thing, it's all about how you learn.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am sure Tyson is right handed. Does that mean he would not be a real southpaw if he was?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess it doesn't matter what handedness Tyson was, he could knock you out with either hand with any punch in any area, body or head.

With a guy like DLH who was left handed, his jab and left hook was always best. And with Hagler, who was a right handed southpaw, his right jab/straight and hook were always best. I think both Tyson's hands were equally dangerous and that's why he's the fucking man!

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always wondered why that right hand jab/hook from Hagler hurt Hearns. It must have had good power.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess it doesn't matter what handedness Tyson was, he could knock you out with either hand with any punch in any area, body or head.

With a guy like DLH who was left handed, his jab and left hook was always best. And with Hagler, who was a right handed southpaw, his right jab/straight and hook were always best. I think both Tyson's hands were equally dangerous and that's why he's the fucking man!
    Well the feet/stance is important though, like in that clip you just posted he clearly wasn't a natural fighting with his right foot forward. What surprised me is that he had a really good straight and overhand right compared to anyone over converted guys I can think of though. DLHs was comical early in his career compared to his left hook.

Is Nonito Donaire a converted lefty? That would add up, he has/had about the worst right hand I've ever seen on a top fighter.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hell yeah, Hagler did his best work with that right jab and hook, when he was throwing his combinations you could always tell there was a lot more zap on the right hooks.

Watch Hagler stun this poor guy and put him out of the ring with a right hook

It's a beautiful thing! I don't know who in boxing came up with the strong hand first stuff, but I know Bruce Lee was a big advocate of it. Probably not a good idea for everyone but De La Hoya, Hagler, Cotto, ect have sure put the theory to great use

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Calzaghe - 46 tried 46 failed. WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF and Ring champ. First ballot hall of famer. TBE.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fact.

And the thing with Joe, was that it wasn't just one or two punches you had to watch out for. He threw them all any which way he could.

I think if your looking at a good southpaw these days you might say 'he's dynamic', like Joe was. Like Manny was, like Lomachenko is. Good sense of range, angles, good feet and not overly reliant on one punch.
    Last edited by Jimanuel Boogustus; 06-11-2015 at 04:42 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was going to say Joe right off the bat and instead created him by using 2 others.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I am sure Tyson is right handed. Does that mean he would not be a real southpaw if he was?
    He fights righthanded. So did Oscar, Cooney, Basilio, Corbett and Jeffries as does Cotto. All are left handed. Tyson signs autographs right handed and shakes hands with his right but that is a learned thing. All of them have one thing in common. Deadly left hooks Tysons right was as equally as destructive but thats just a Cus imprint. Pretty much all his fighters could put you to sleep from either side.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    He fights righthanded. So did Oscar, Cooney, Basilio, Corbett and Jeffries as does Cotto. All are left handed. Tyson signs autographs right handed and shakes hands with his right but that is a learned thing. All of them have one thing in common. Deadly left hooks Tysons right was as equally as destructive but thats just a Cus imprint. Pretty much all his fighters could put you to sleep from either side.
    It's there a valid source for these claims because if a man shakes hands and signs autographs with his right hand, he is right handed. I was born left handed (and am still left footed) so I find this all particularly hard to believe.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Thread Information