Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Danny 'Little Red' Lopez ~ Career

Danny 'Little Red' Lopez

Born .... July 6, 1952

Amateur Career ....... 40-7
    Included, was winning the New Mexico Golden Gloves in both 1970 and 1971 at 54 Kg {119 lbs. Bantamweight}.

Danny also captured the Mountain Golden Gloves championship in the famous 'Battle of the Champions'
    tournament held at Williams Gym in January 1971.

Danny was also selected to participate in the 1971 National Golden Gloves tournament held in
    Forth Worth, Texas in March 1971.

Danny made it to the Semi-Finals of the Bantamweight Division where he lost a close Decision to Johnny Moreno
    on March 22, 1971. Johnny went on to win the National Golden Gloves championship.

A 5' 7" tall, and hard-punching wide-open bombing Bantamweight, Danny was highly sought after by
    Boxing Managers who wanted the 18 1/2 year old to turn Professional.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1971 ... Danny, here with older brother Ernie, and Manager Howie Steindler

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 08-07-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Danny 'Little Red' Lopez ~ Career

Professional Debut

Thursday ~ May 27, 1971 ....... Olympic Auditorium ~ Los Angeles, California

Main Event > Frankie Crawford vs. Tony Jumao-As

Danny Lopez - 0-0-0 {0 KO's} ~ 122 lbs. ~ {Age; 18 years, 10 months}
    vs.
    Steve Flajole - 2-0-1 {0 KO's} ~ 124 lbs. ~ {Age; 19 years, 6 months}
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danny 'Little Red' Lopez made his professional debut against > Steve 'Ax Pole' Flajole from
    Tacoma, Washington.

Danny {5' 7"} had a 4" height advantage over the {5' 3"} Tacoma visitor.

It was no contest, as Danny fired right-hand after right-hand over the top of his shorter
    opponents left-jabs.

Danny dropped Flajole with '2' right-hands to the chin at the {0:55 Mark}. Flajole managed
    to beat the count, and attempted to fight back.

But Danny was 'pin-point' with his right-hand punches, and dropped Flajoe again, where he
    was counted out at the {1:44 Mark}.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thursday ~ June 17, 1971 ...... Olympic Auditorium ~ Los Angeles, California

Main Event .... Rodolfo Lobato vs. Vil Tumulak

Danny 'Little Red' Lopez - 1-0-0 {1 KO} ~ 119 1/2 lbs. ~ 5' 7"~ {Age; 18 years, 11 months}
    vs.
    Felix 'Fili' Castro - 3-0-1 {1 KO} ~ 119 lbs. ~ 5' 3" {Age; 19 years, 3 months}

Televised on > Channel 13 {KCOP}

Danny got a good write up before the bout. His original opponent > Jose Luis Estrada pulled
    out 2-Days before the bout.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danny overwhelmed an undersized 'Fili' Castro, and deposited him on the canvas only 16-Seconds
    into the bout after landing a hard right-hand to the head.

Castro was up at the '3-Count', and fought on. But Danny kept throwing bombs, and dropped
    'Fili' again after tagging him with a 'left-right' to the chin just past the mid-way point the Round.

Referee - Rudy Jordan counted out Felix Castro @ 1:42 of the 1st Round.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man! Brings back some names I haven't thought of in long time. Frankie Crawford and referee Rudy Jordan.
    Last edited by beenKOed; 08-07-2015 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Man! Brings back some names I haven't thought of in long time. Frankie Crawford and referee Rudy Jordan.
    How about.

Olympic Auditorium Promoter ..... Aileen Eaton
    Boxing Matchmaker ................... Don Chargin
    Television Broadcast .................. Channel; 13 {KCOP-TV}

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post
    How about.

Olympic Auditorium Promoter ..... Aileen Eaton
    Boxing Matchmaker ................... Don Chargin
    Television Broadcast .................. Channel; 13 {KCOP-TV}
    I'll never forget Eaton or Chargin. We always called it K-COP, same call letters since the 50s I think.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thursday ~ July 8, 1971 ....... Olympic Auditorium ~ Los Angeles, California

Main Event ...... Ernie 'Red' Lopez vs. Danny Perez

Danny 'Little Red' Lopez - 2-0-0 {2 KO's} ~ 5' 7" ~ 119 1/2 lbs. ~ {Age; 19 years, 0 months}
    vs.
    Mauro Olivares - 2-3-0 {0 KO's} ~ 5' 5" ~ 119 1/2 lbs. ~ {Age; 20 years, 7 months}
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danny Lopez won his 3rd-Straight bout by a 1st Round Knockout. Danny moved into Mauro Olivares
    from the Opening Bell, and battered the out-matched Los Angeles Bantamweight with right-and-left
    hands to the head.

Lopez delivered a barrage of blows on Olivares, who backed away to the Ropes, and took heavy
    punishment,

Danny dropped Olivares with a right to the head, and a follow up left-hook to the right-ear.

Referee - Rudy Jordan counted out Mauro Olivares @ 1:13 of Round 1.

~ First Round KO by the Younger Lopez ~

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 08-08-2015 at 05:40 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thursday ~ July 29, 1971 ...... Olympic Auditorium ~ Los Angeles, California

Televised ......... Channel 13 {KCOP-TV}
    Attendance ...... 5677

Main Event ........ Mac Foster vs. Billy Joiner

Danny Lopez - 3-0-0 {3 KO's} ~ 5' 7" ~ 119 lbs. ~ {Age; 19 years, 0 months}
    vs.
    Jose Luis Estrada - 5-3-0 {2 KO's} ~ 5' 4" ~ 116 1/2 lbs. ~ {Age; 20 years, 1 month}
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danny Lopez takes on Mexicali Bantamweight - Jose Luis Estrada.

~ Danny Lopez Wins 4th In A Row ~

An exciting 1st-Round, as both youngsters go toe-to-toe, each landing solid punches in
    a wild shoot-out.

Late in the 1st-Round, Estrada lands a hard right-hook to Danny's chin, and he is dropped.
    Danny gets up at the '2-Count', and takes the mandatory-count before resuming. Danny
    is clear, and is battling back hard at the end of the session.

In Round 2, Danny comes out winging, Immediately he rocks Estrada with a barrage, and
    drives the Mexicali fighter to the canvas at the {0:38 Mark} after landing a 7-Punch barrage.

Estrada is up at the '2-Count', and is ready to go on. Both fighter slug away at Center-Ring
    for the next 50-Seconds.

Danny catches Estrada with a 'right-left-right' to the head, and Estrada goes down again at
    the {1:43 Mark}. Estrada again is up quickly, and is ready to fight on.

By the {2:40 Mark}, Estarada has cleared the cob-webs, and is fighting back hard.

Again, both fighters slug away to the roar of the {5677} spectators. Estrada rallies at the
    end of the Round to cheers from his supporters.

In Round 3, both fighters charge to Center-Ring, and exchange. Danny catches a wide-open
    Estrada with a booming right-hand to the chin, and the Mexicali fighter goes down at the
    {0:09 Mark}.

Estrada struggles up at the '7-Count', and is shaky but wants to continue. Referee - Rudy Jordan
    allows it to go on.

When the action resumes, Danny moves in on his hurt opponent, and unloads with a 'two-fisted'
    barrage and drops Estrada for a 4th-time.

This time Jose Luis Estrada does not get up, and he is counted out @ {0:35} of Round 3 by
    Referee - Rudy Jordan.

Danny Lopez >
    "I never saw the punch that knocked me down in the 1st-Round. I was stunned all-right. He
    hit me good, right on the button. But I cleared my head, and was ready to slug back."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 08-08-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

August 10, 1971

Boxing Matchmaker - Don Chargin

This kid Danny Lopez is going to be a World Champion. I'm telling you, this kid is the
    best young Bantamweight prospect in the country. He's only had '4-Bouts', but in the
    Gym he handles himself well against some pretty good Featherweights.

He'll be in the Top 10 by the end of the year, and he's only 19 years old.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thursday ~ August 12, 1971 ....... Olympic Auditorium ~ Los Angeles, California

Television .......... Channel 13 {KCOP-TV}
    Attendance ........ 4977

Main Event ......... Roy Barrientos vs. Thurman 'Tom Thumb' Durden

Danny Lopez - 4-0-0 {4 KO's} ~ 5' 7" ~ 120 lbs. ~ {Age; 19 years, 1 month}
    vs.
    Modesto Ortiz - 6-5-1 {1 KO} ~ 5' 4" ~ 117 1/2 lbs. ~ {Age; 21 years, 7 months}
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danny Lopez takes on Modesto Ortiz, a southpaw Bantamweight from Guadalajara.

Kid Lopez Scores KO, For 5th Win In A Row ~

It took Danny Lopez a few extra Rounds, but he eventually caught up to Modesto Ortiz in
    Round 4, and dropped the Mexican 3-times with pulverizing blows.

Danny was eager from the start, and pressed forward on the fast-moving southpaw, as
    Ortiz jabbed and moved, avoiding Lopez' heavy arsenal.

For 3 Rounds, Ortiz was keen to the task, as he ducked and held each time that Lopez
    moved in close.

But in Round 4, Lopez used heavy left-jabs to set up his opponent, and moved in close to
    send in hard body-punches.

Lopez then dropped Ortiz with a hard left-hook and straight right-hand to the head.

Ortiz was able to rise, and gamely fought back, before getting caught with a 'right-left'
    to the jaw, sending him down again. Ortiz again was willing to fight back rather than flee.

Lopez sent in a volley of punches on Ortiz, and dropped him again at the {2:03 Mark} for
    an automatic Knockout win.

Danny Lopez >
    "He was kind of awkward with that southpaw style. I had a hard time timing him at first,
    but once I landed a few body punches in Round 4, he slowed down."

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thursday ~ September 16, 1971

Olympic Auditorium ~ Los Angeles, California

Television ......... Channel 13 {KCOP-TV}
    Attendance ....... 5124

Main Event ........ Ernie Lopez vs. Manuel Fiero

Danny 'Little Red' Lopez - 5-0-0 {5 KO's} ~ 5' 7" ~ 120 lbs. ~ {Age; 19 years, 2 months}
    vs.
    Rafael 'Polo' Lopez - 9-2-0 {4 KO's} ~ 5' 5" ~ 119 lbs. ~ {Age; 20 years, 6 months}
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danny Lopez will be taking on his toughest opponent of his young career. Rafael Lopez is a
    sturdy boxer-puncher from Mexico, and is a well-schooled Professional.

~ Danny Lopez Scores TKO In 5, But Given A Rough Test ~

Danny came out winging in the Opening Round, and tagged Rafael Lopez with repeated hard-punches
    to the head. Rafael hung tough, and battled back hard after each exchange.

Late in the 1st-Round, Danny caught Rafael with a good left-hook to the head, that stunned him. Danny
    then bored in, and slammed a barrage on Rafael's head, dropping him just before the Bell. Rafael was
    up at the '3-Count' and the Bell rang ending the Round.

In Round 2, Danny went 'balls out', and tried to put the Mexican away. But Danny was throwing wild-punches,
    and though he dominated the Round, he could not hurt Rafael.

In Round 3, Danny continued to wail away, but Rafael withstood every punch. By the end of the Round, Danny
    was arm-weary, and looked to have punched himself out. Rafael put in a late-charge, and took command over
    the last 25-Seconds as he scored with a variety of left-hooks to the head and right-hands to the body that had
    Danny covering up and on the defensive.

In Round 4, Danny came out bombing again. But by the {1:20 Mark}, he was gassed. Then Rafael started to punch
    back, and he nailed Danny with several solid-blows, forcing Danny to back away to the Ropes. There, Rafael
    attacked with a body-barrage that had Danny wincing and bending.

At the start of Round 5, Danny slammed away fast, and opened up a cut over Rafael's left-eye. But Rafael was
    not hurt, and started to punch back hard to the body.

Suddenly at the {0:43 Mark}, the Referee - Abe Cohen stopped the bout, and had the Ringside Physician
    check out the cut.

The bout was stopped, and Danny Lopez was awarded the TKO 5 victory.

Danny Lopez >
    "The cut was bad. I knew that I had him hurt a few times. But he was as tough as they come."

Rafael Lopez >
    "He threw everything he had at me, and he couldn't put me away. He was spent. I was coming on, and then
    I got cut. I don't feel like I lost. It's one of those things. I would like a rematch."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 08-11-2015 at 01:16 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thursday ~ October 14, 1971

Television .......... Channel 13 {KCOP-TV}
    Attendance ........ 6471

Main Event ....... Ultimo 'Sugar' Ramos vs. Jimmy Robertson

Danny 'Little Red' Lopez - 6-0-0 {6 KO's} ~ 5' 7" ~ 118 lbs. ~ {Age; 19 years, 3 months}
    vs.
    Frankie 'The Grenade' Granados - 10-5-1 {2 KO's} ~ 5' 5" ~ 117 lbs. ~ {Age; 20 years, 3 months}
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Young Lopez Smothers The Grenade Granados In 2 ~

It was bombs away, as Danny Lopez came out with both fists blazing, and battered a quality
    fighter Frankie Granados all over the Ring in the 1st Round.

Granados barely survived the 1st-Round bombardment, and finished the Round on his feet,
    but left it with a bloody nose and swollen left-cheek.

In Round 2, it was a repeat of the previous session, and Danny bombed away. Granados took
    a pounding, and just past the mid-way point in the Round he went down under a barrage of
    hail-storm blows. He was counted out @ {1:58} of Round 2.

Danny Lopez >
    "I wanted to get him {Frankie} early. He is too good of a boxer to try to and out-box. So I went
    for the Knockout early."

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thursday ~ November 18, 1971

Television ....... Channel 13 {KCOP-TV}

Main Event ....... Joey Orbillo vs. Robie Harris

Danny 'Little Red' Lopez - 7-0-0 {7 KO's} ~ 5' 7" ~ 121 lbs. ~ {Age; 19 years, 4 months}
    vs.
    Margarito 'Burrito' Rios - 8-1-0 {3 KOs} ~ 5' 6" ~ 130 lbs. ~ {Age; 21 years, 2 months}
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Danny Lopez was supposed to face 'fast-handed boxer' Jose Olivares 12-2-0 {2 KO's}, but
    Olivares was replaced with the bigger Margarito Rios, as Danny could not make the fight
    contract weight of 119 lbs.

Margarito Rios from Mexico, was a 'natural' Featherweight, who was a 2-Day replacement opponent.

~ Lopez Buries Rios In One ~

Danny 'Little Red' Lopez wasted little time in sending his opponent Margarito Rios to the canvas.

Danny landed a hard volley of punches during the opening moments of the bout, and sent
    Rios skidding to the canvas at the {0:33 Mark}. Rios was up at the '3-Count', but looked
    groggy.

Danny then stalked his bigger opponent {+9 lbs.} and delivered a series of 'left-right' punches
    into Rios' body, driving him backwards and to the Ropes, where he went down to his right-knee
    at the {1:23 Mark}.

Rios was up at the '5-Count', and was willing to go on.

Danny then used a series of left-jabs to set up Rios for a right-hand, and landed the finisher,
    when he tagged Rios with a devastating right-hand to the jaw, dropping him a 3rd-time in
    the 1st Round, scoring an automatic Knockout win.

The time was at 2:40.

Danny Lopez >
    "He was bigger than me, so I didn't want to take any chances and feel his punches. My corner
    told me to go out like a 'Wild Cat', and to go after him fast."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 08-09-2015 at 08:46 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A fight a month!! When did he have time for a anything else? Youth, I miss it. Lol
    Last edited by beenKOed; 08-09-2015 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Fat fingers.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A fight a month!! When did he have time for a anything else? Youth, I miss it. Lol

In 6-Months {May 27, 1971 -thru- November 18, 1971}

Danny Lopez had 8-Bouts, scoring {8 KO's}, with '4' coming in the 1st Round.

Aileen Eaton {Promoter} and Don Chargin {Matchmaker} had turned 'Little Red' into
    a 'Star' at the Olympic Auditorium.

And the coverage on Television {Channel 13 ~ KCOP-TV} made Danny a media darling.

A young 19 year-old > Danny Lopez, with Manager - Howie Steindler and brother Ernie 'Red' Lopez.

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 08-09-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Thread Information