Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Southpaw movie

I attempted to go to this movie with my daughter last night. Had to leave unfortunately half way through. I was really excited to see this one and looked great up to the point of me leaving. My question is has anyone seen this movie and if so is there a reason it is called South Paw if Jake Guellenwhatever fights from an orthodox stance? Or did I miss something or have too much time on my hands to think about these things? Regardless how was the movie and does anyone have an answer to the Southpaw question?

Thanks

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Southpaw movie

I thought the movie sucked, personally. The southpaw angle comes in later on when Forrest Whitaker is teaching him defense and BOXING (not slugging), and has him practice fighting out of a southpaw stance. He ends up going southpaw to pull the fight out and regain his championship.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought it was a decent film and because the last poster has given the ending, I can say that for me , the ending was too "Rocky" like.
    It would be interesting if there was a sequel where there are still one or two things for him to overcome.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I enjoyed it
    Keep on Punchin"
    C.J.
    Hidden Content we love C.J.Hidden Content

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The scorecards annoyed me. Several knock downs and and a point deduction yet no t reflected in scorecards, amateurs.

Average movie for me. Very predictable and lots of inconsistencies in some of the characters personalities.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I thought the movie sucked, personally. The southpaw angle comes in later on when Forrest Whitaker is teaching him defense and BOXING (not slugging), and has him practice fighting out of a southpaw stance. He ends up going southpaw to pull the fight out and regain his championship.
    Guess I left before that part. I guess that explains that. Surprised bad reviews from saddo members. I thought it was supposed to be really good but didn't see enough to say.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As a boxing fan I generally make a point of not watching boxing movies because the majority of them are complete shit.

The only boxing movie I really rate is Raging Bull and that's because the boxing is only a very small part of it. With a cast like that film had, it couldn't really fail. That said, it's also the only boxing-based movie I've ever seen where the action in the ring isn't embarrassingly bad.

The Rocky films are bad, but in a fun way if that makes sense. They are just so overly cliched and ridiculous that you can't help but love the early ones. I refuse to believe that Stallone made those films expecting them to be taken seriously.
    Last edited by tysonesque; 08-27-2015 at 10:31 AM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"The fighter" was a good movie I thought. Can't remember the fights scenes to well but they weren't Rocky level bad.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I knew this film would be a paint-by-numbers load of shit when I kept hearing "The best boxing movie since Raging Bull."

Raging Bull is a fantastic portrayal of a constantly starving paranoid lunatic. Masterpiece.

The first Rocky is a terrific love story.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I haven't seen the movie, but saw a good interview with Jake in which they show some fight scenes. As far as fight movies are concerned, I'm pretty picky about the fight scenes. If you're gonna play the part of a boxer, you should at least try to "look" like one. Which is why as opposed to half of humanity, I never liked any of the Rocky films. Carl Weathers did a credible job as Creed..... but Stallone can't box his way out of a paper bag.

I think Jake mentioned how he trained for months, including getting into pretty good physical shape. From the fight scenes, I'd put it various notches above any of the Rocky films.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I haven't seen the movie, but saw a good interview with Jake in which they show some fight scenes. As far as fight movies are concerned, I'm pretty picky about the fight scenes. If you're gonna play the part of a boxer, you should at least try to "look" like one. Which is why as opposed to half of humanity, I never liked any of the Rocky films. Carl Weathers did a credible job as Creed..... but Stallone can't box his way out of a paper bag.

I think Jake mentioned how he trained for months, including getting into pretty good physical shape. From the fight scenes, I'd put it various notches above any of the Rocky films.
    Pretty much off topic, but wondering if you ever watched the first season of The Contender, specifically the scene where the fighters walk in the gym and the roided out Stallone is pounding on some scrub while he is in a pair of jeans and tank top? How ridiculous was that, and why the hell would he ever try to give advice to pro fighters? I knew the show was doomed at that point.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Pretty much off topic, but wondering if you ever watched the first season of The Contender, specifically the scene where the fighters walk in the gym and the roided out Stallone is pounding on some scrub while he is in a pair of jeans and tank top? How ridiculous was that, and why the hell would he ever try to give advice to pro fighters? I knew the show was doomed at that point.

LOL...... As soon as I knew Stallone was involved it kind of took what little luster the show had to begin with.
    But yeah..... Stallone giving advice to pro fighters is like Tom Hanks training real astronauts based on his role in the Apollo 13 movie.
    In defense of Hanks, at least he knows how to act.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I want the Monzon story....now there's a movie!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    The Valero movie would be my pick
    Cold Heart and a Weak Mind

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    The Valero movie would be my pick
    Gatti movie would be good. It could be done in a murder mystery type of way.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information