Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Red face Re: GGG competition..

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    He'll find someone worthy before his prime ends. I remember listening to Jake Lamotta talk about Marvin Haglar- he said- Haglar wasn't that good because he didn't have real competition in his era LOL!

Haglar is probably saying the same thing about GGG.

Well, Hagler did make his name off of x welter stars that moved up. So did Monzon and Hopkins.

The Kazaks problem is different and if you will 3 fold. This "A-side" posing as champions wont fight him. None of the other 3 had that problem. He's destroyed everyone he's fought and even when he's a mandatory and aired out the division and all thats left is unification, the one falsely recognized as the REAL champion wont fight him holding top spot hostage and putting on farcical defenses. Those 3 never dealt with that either. And finally the welters wont move up and fight him. They did for those 3.
    It's all true. But the big difference for Haglers era was the best Welters were big. The best welters now started well below welter and have maxed out size wise. There's a big difference between guys 5'10/6'1 and guys 5'6/5'8
    Sorry but that's not true. Most welters of yesterday started out much lighter also. In addition Hagler fought them way out of their prime and at a weight outside their prime. Guys like Floyd and Manny are anomalies not the norm. Most welters today are natural middleweights fighting at 47. In addition the Kazak is a small middleweight.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He'll find someone worthy before his prime ends. I remember listening to Jake Lamotta talk about Marvin Haglar- he said- Haglar wasn't that good because he didn't have real competition in his era LOL!

Well, Hagler did make his name off of x welter stars that moved up. So did Monzon and Hopkins.

The Kazaks problem is different and if you will 3 fold. This "A-side" posing as champions wont fight him. None of the other 3 had that problem. He's destroyed everyone he's fought and even when he's a mandatory and aired out the division and all thats left is unification, the one falsely recognized as the REAL champion wont fight him holding top spot hostage and putting on farcical defenses. Those 3 never dealt with that either. And finally the welters wont move up and fight him. They did for those 3.
    It's all true. But the big difference for Haglers era was the best Welters were big. The best welters now started well below welter and have maxed out size wise. There's a big difference between guys 5'10/6'1 and guys 5'6/5'8
    Sorry but that's not true. Most welters of yesterday started out much lighter also. In addition Hagler fought them way out of their prime and at a weight outside their prime. Guys like Floyd and Manny are anomalies not the norm. Most welters today are natural middleweights fighting at 47. In addition the Kazak is a small middleweight.
    I didn't say most. I said the best. Manny and Floyd are far smaller than Leonard and Hearns

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: GGG competition..

I didn't say most. I said the best. Manny and Floyd are far smaller than Leonard and Hearns
    Like I said they are rare and Ray walked around as a welter earlier in his career also. Point is after the hair splitting is gone, the Kazak has dominated a much better group of middleweight "opponents"
    then most middleweight champions did before him. Another fact is that the three mentioned made their names on the back of x welters and the star welters wont move up to fight the Kaz, the rest of the middle weights run for the hills, make up weight classes that dont exist while calling themselves champions or using lame excuses like "a-side". Now that Kid Ovaltine has announced his entrance to 168 "cause its better suited " for him you can add jumping up to avoid him to the list. All of this has unfolded in front of everyone.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pretty good debating on both sides.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like I said they are rare and Ray walked around as a welter earlier in his career also. Point is after the hair splitting is gone, the Kazak has dominated a much better group of middleweight "opponents"
    then most middleweight champions did before him. Another fact is that the three mentioned made their names on the back of x welters and the star welters wont move up to fight the Kaz, the rest of the middle weights run for the hills, make up weight classes that dont exist while calling themselves champions or using lame excuses like "a-side". Now that Kid Ovaltine has announced his entrance to 168 "cause its better suited " for him you can add jumping up to avoid him to the list. All of this has unfolded in front of everyone.
    I agree with the basic idea you are speaking of I just don't think many of the particulars make much difference. Let's say Canelo beats Cotto and GGG then beats Canelo. Does that somehow make him a greater fighter? I don't think so. Canelo hasn't even ever proven himself the best at 154 let alone proven anything at all at 160. GGG is generally caught between a rock and a hard place and we all know what the answer to prove his greatness is. He isn't the only victim of the risk/reward era, Andrade can't even get a fight. Not that I think he is some great but Canelo wasn't going near him either. That's the point of 155. He isn't forced to fight anyone.

There is only one fight that matters for GGG. It's not fair that that is how it is but that is how it is. MW has proven beneath him by actions if not in the ring. Everyone says he's a small MW, he's a small MW. Then why do they also say if he goes up to 168 he is stuck after one fight? I thought he was a small MW, he should be able to drop back down with ease. His team talks out of both sides of their mouth as much as anyone. That's this era I suppose but at the end of the day a great fighter has to beat a great fighter at a weight where they are great.

I'm As ready as anyone to jump back on board, all he has to do is make a great fight. Telling Ward to drop 8lbs for a paycut is ridiculous. I could even get on board if they said "we don't want to fight Ward". He's not required to, there are weightclasses for a reason. But if they are going to pretend they have interest with bogus offers in the media then there are expectations they themselves created.

GGG/Lemieux is a good fight, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it. To me it is a better fight than the Cotto/Canelo winner because those guys have lost a lot of respect in my eyes. But at the end of the day Lemieux did lose to a guy in the middle of a 1-6-1 stretch. He was the only win for a guy in 8 fights. That's hard to shake off. He looks better since but he still winds way up. It's a good fight though. Some want to see GGG lose. I just want to see more from him. You know what more is, I know what more is, everyone knows. So they should stop with the 10,000 reasons why it isn't happening and tell us yes or no will it happen, do they want it. Then they could fight good fights till the end of GGGs career. Just, if you're going to play the people's champ role, be honest with the people. I'll accept whatever answer they give as long as it is concise.

Since I was so long winded I'll add a little interesting GGG video(assuming I can, I hate my iPhone)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nZZ2GrBRNxY
    Last edited by Master; 09-07-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think its a good fight

im looking forward to it anyway
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with the basic idea you are speaking of I just don't think many of the particulars make much difference. Let's say Canelo beats Cotto and GGG then beats Canelo. Does that somehow make him a greater fighter? I don't think so. Canelo hasn't even ever proven himself the best at 154 let alone proven anything at all at 160. GGG is generally caught between a rock and a hard place and we all know what the answer to prove his greatness is. He isn't the only victim of the risk/reward era, Andrade can't even get a fight. Not that I think he is some great but Canelo wasn't going near him either. That's the point of 155. He isn't forced to fight anyone.

There is only one fight that matters for GGG. It's not fair that that is how it is but that is how it is. MW has proven beneath him by actions if not in the ring. Everyone says he's a small MW, he's a small MW. Then why do they also say if he goes up to 168 he is stuck after one fight? I thought he was a small MW, he should be able to drop back down with ease. His team talks out of both sides of their mouth as much as anyone. That's this era I suppose but at the end of the day a great fighter has to beat a great fighter at a weight where they are great.

I'm As ready as anyone to jump back on board, all he has to do is make a great fight. Telling Ward to drop 8lbs for a paycut is ridiculous. I could even get on board if they said "we don't want to fight Ward". He's not required to, there are weightclasses for a reason. But if they are going to pretend they have interest with bogus offers in the media then there are expectations they themselves created.

GGG/Lemieux is a good fight, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it. To me it is a better fight than the Cotto/Canelo winner because those guys have lost a lot of respect in my eyes. But at the end of the day Lemieux did lose to a guy in the middle of a 1-6-1 stretch. He was the only win for a guy in 8 fights. That's hard to shake off. He looks better since but he still winds way up. It's a good fight though. Some want to see GGG lose. I just want to see more from him. You know what more is, I know what more is, everyone knows. So they should stop with the 10,000 reasons why it isn't happening and tell us yes or no will it happen, do they want it. Then they could fight good fights till the end of GGGs career. Just, if you're going to play the people's champ role, be honest with the people. I'll accept whatever answer they give as long as it is concise.

Since I was so long winded I'll add a little interesting GGG video(assuming I can, I hate my iPhone)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nZZ2GrBRNxY
    I've asked this before and never got an answer, but I'll ask again. When did GGG ever ask Ward to drop 8lbs? Yeah GGG is a relatively small MW, so the idea that cos he's small, he can get back to MW easy enough is more or less saying "he doesn't have to go up "all the way, fuck it give even more weight away!"
    Look, I don't think it's a realistic fight, they are different weights , different sizes, it's just nature working against it. I don't think there's any shame in Golovkin saying " He's one of the best fighters on the planet , so for me to step up, and concede, weight , height and reach is a bit unrealistic. So to make it more even, we would need to meet halfway." That shows a lot of respect for Ward.
    Btw I reckon if the fight ever came off , Ward would win.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG is avoided by the so called top middleweights now, if he went up to fight Ward and lose, he would be even more sidelined than he is now. It is a bad business move to go up in weight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are some decent junior middleweights that could step up that might make for fun matches with GGG, such as Andrade and Canelo. As for the middleweights, Lemieux might be the best of the current lot.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    GGG is avoided by the so called top middleweights now, if he went up to fight Ward and lose, he would be even more sidelined than he is now. It is a bad business move to go up in weight.
    Especially when the same Ward is going the other direction and fighting catchweights. Its a unification after all. Was a time when one less floating trinket was a good thing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I say Kudos to David Lemieux he had the cojones to challenge GGG while all the other so called 160 elite are avoiding him like he had the black plague or something. I expect it to be an exciting fight between two fighters with KO power. May the best man on the night WIN!!!
    Keep on Punchin"
    C.J.
    Hidden Content we love C.J.Hidden Content

Thread Information