Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather drops the WBC jr welter belt. "There's nothing for me at 140lbs"

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mayweather drops the WBC jr welter belt. "There's nothing for me at 140lbs"

Mayweather: "There's nothing for me at 140lbs"

http://www.secondsout.com/USA/news.cfm?ccs=229&cs=19022

By Ant Evans: Pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Junior has relinquished the WBC junior welterweight championship he brutally mugged from Arturo Gatti last summer, in anticipation of winning the IBF welterweight belt from Zab Judah on April 8. Undefeated Mayweather - who has also held titles at super-featherweight and lightweight - brutalised 'Thunder' Gatti in as one-sided a fight as you'll ever see on PPV but has now handed it back having decided to campaign full-time in the 147lbs (10stone 7lbs) division.

Mayweather told SecondsOut: "The only fight down there at 140lbs for me is Ricky Hatton, and he's even coming up to 147lbs (to face WBA title-holder Luis Collazo in May). Hatton's the only guy down there for me, not Miguel Cotto, Cotto's not even in my league. Cotto is a four round fight for me. So, if Hatton is coming here, there's no reason to keep the belt."

The Pretty Boy's waist has not gone unadorned with a world title since he was 21, eight years ago, and the 35-0 (24KOs) quicksilver added that he wants to win further world titles at welterweight and junior middleweight by October 2008. That date is significant because he wants to win world championships in five different divisions all within a single decade, and he became WBC super-featherweight champ in October 1998 by hammering Genaro Hernandez.

The WBC is expected to confirm next week that Britain's Junior Witter, who has gone undefeated since a derisory loss to Judah six years ago, will box former Floyd victim and current sparring partner DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley this summer for the vacant title.

"I didn't want to hold the title and the division up," Mayweather said. "Let other fighters have their opportunity. I've got some great fights out there for me, so many I really can't chose which one I'd like best. There's Oscar De La Hoya and there's Ricky Hatton - so many great fights for me. I'm blessed."

Trainer and uncle Roger Mayweather believes the De La Hoya and Hatton fights will happen within the next 12 months. He told SecondsOut: "Oscar will beat Ricardo Mayorga in May and there's a serious chance we'll do this thing (later in the year). Then you got a guy from across the water - Hatton - and, if he wins this next one (against Collazo), he'll have three world titles. Like (Floyd), he's young, he's in his prime and this fight must happen. It's could be the biggest fight in boxing."

Meanwhile, though, Mayweather will meet his good friend turned bitter enemy Judah in Las Vegas on a HBO PPV a week on Saturday. Mayweather was expected to win even before Judah's embarrassing loss to journeyman Carlos Baldomir and, in the wake of Judah getting stunned and almost run out of the ring in January, what was an intriguing fight has, for many, become merely a chance to see the world's most talented fighter go through his bag of tricks once more.

And the Pretty Boy is planning a master class.

"I'm going to dominate him and knock him out," Mayweather said, matter-of-factly. "I think that because he lost to (Carlos) Baldomir, Zab Judah has been put in a position where he will be willing to die to win. That's what I love. I can't wait for everyone to see what I do in this fight."

Smart move. Cotto can fight for Floyd's belt now if he can make the weight & Floyd can fight Hatton & Oscar after blowing out Judah.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

AC-Cobra Guest

Default Re: Mayweather drops the WBC jr welter belt. "There's nothing for me at 140lbs"

There was me thinking the only reason Ricky was movin up was to chase Pretty Boy. Ricky knows that will be his biggest fight, money wise and with cementing his career. Pretty Boy moved up long before Ricky, and in recent interviews (except for clearly this one) has ducked any questions about a Hatton fight. I believe Floyd is attempting to delay a fight with the Hitman because he knows Ricky's style means his prime wont last very long (see Barry Mcguigan). Before Ricky can face PBF i see him jumping to junior middle to fight some other meaningless paper titlist to secure some dream of his, a dream that will be false anyway. Ok he was a legit titlist at at his first two weights, but during his "reign" at junior welter Kostya Tsuyu and Ricky were the recgonised champs. If he takes the belt off Judah (who was disgustingly allowed to keep belts because Baldomir cant afford the sanctioning fees) he will again only be a paper titlist. Doesnt PBF see he HAS to fight Hatton for people to stop questioning him? If he continually dodges him and other fighters like Margarito (and a more formidable Castillo moving to junior wleter who would love to face Floyd again) then this will hang over his legacy forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mayweather drops the WBC jr welter belt. "There's nothing for me at 140lbs"

You need to perk those ears up a bit.

Floyd is always talking about fighting Hatton. Hatton has expressed that he does not want Floyd at this time...but at a later point in the year...about the same time that Floyd is set to fight Oscar...who you think Floyd's gonna fight?

Oscar...then Hatton...just like stated.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

how much time did he have left before he was madated a defense at jww?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SalTheButcher
    how much time did he have left before he was madated a defense at jww?
    I believe that he had one more fight before they jerked him.

AC-Cobra Guest

I agree with you, maybe I got my message mixed up a bit. I believe PBF does want to fight Ricky, but not for a while yet as he knows Ricky's prime will be short lived and it will be easier to face him in a couple of years or so.

And i think we all know boxer's dont always tell the truth. I believe after this fight, PBF goes after the winner of Baldomir Gatti as he could handle them both easily and then he gains another LEGIT title. For his plan to work, he would then (or even without this) have to take two huge and possibly grueling fights with Oscar and Ricky and then somehow still have time, recovery included to challenge for a junior middleweight title by 2008

I knew Ricky didnt want to fight PBF right now, i got mixed up on that one though. I was under the impression he'd further unify the junior welterweight division and maybe even have a crack at finally shutting up Junior Witter in what would be a huge all UK match up, which would make sense to take before Floyd. Clearly the Collazo move proves otherwise.... Wonder what he plans on doing now before Floyd?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AC-Cobra
    Wonder what he plans on doing now before Floyd?
    Honestly...it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he fought someone like Corrales or Castillo as one or the other has talked about moving up & both of their names were mentioned in Hatton's camp.

AC-Cobra Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Honestly...it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he fought someone like Corrales or Castillo as one or the other has talked about moving up & both of their names were mentioned in Hatton's camp.
    I agree, and that would be great! Although Castillo is one of the few guys I'd be scared of Ricky to fight. I know Ricky has dealt with such power before (Tsuyu) but theres something about Castillo's style that could be dangerous to the Hitman. I think Ricky could handle Corrales although it could still be a great fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree, and that would be great! Although Castillo is one of the few guys I'd be scared of Ricky to fight. I know Ricky has dealt with such power before (Tsuyu) but theres something about Castillo's style that could be dangerous to the Hitman. I think Ricky could handle Corrales although it could still be a great fight.
    You know...I think that Castillo & Corrales would be tuff fights for Hatton...Castillo on the grounds that he's just that big & imposing...Corrales would be tuff...but Hatton could KO him IWO.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with you, maybe I got my message mixed up a bit. I believe PBF does want to fight Ricky, but not for a while yet as he knows Ricky's prime will be short lived and it will be easier to face him in a couple of years or so.
    i never considered that,
    the way he fights if he goes up aginst 3 or 4 hard hitters with punch taking ability he will definitley loose some of what he has

he is like marciano tho, he just doesnt get worn out in the corse of a fight, but i still see no way of him beating mayweather...

although he has a way of being extremley tactical without looking even slightly tactical, which could make PBF overconfident

AC-Cobra Guest

Ricky's style is almost a carbon copy of Mcguigan's albeit with even more workrate, he's gonna burn out quicker than most. Although he should last longer than Barry, I cant see Ricky taking a stupid fight in the Arizona desert against a guy from Arizona when youve lived your entire life in the UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ricky's style is almost a carbon copy of Mcguigan's albeit with even more workrate, he's gonna burn out quicker than most. Although he should last longer than Barry, I cant see Ricky taking a stupid fight in the Arizona desert against a guy from Arizona when youve lived your entire life in the UK.
    Admittedly...I have never seen McGuigan...to my knowledge.

I personally think that Hatton has what it takes to give many of the 140 & 147 troops a good fight...but honestly...I am just not sure how well he will take once he starts fighting the upper level hungry men of that weight.

I think that he'll do good...but I honestly believe that all roads will end at Floyd...granted...that's if Floyd can handle the weight of 147.

As much as I do like Floyd...I am not entirely sure that this weight jumping is going to serve him well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Admittedly...I have never seen McGuigan...to my knowledge.

I personally think that Hatton has what it takes to give many of the 140 & 147 troops a good fight...but honestly...I am just not sure how well he will take once he starts fighting the upper level hungry men of that weight.

I think that he'll do good...but I honestly believe that all roads will end at Floyd...granted...that's if Floyd can handle the weight of 147.

As much as I do like Floyd...I am not entirely sure that this weight jumping is going to serve him well...
    I agree Hatton will find 147 tough and probably end up in a fight with PBF with the winner silencing their critics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace
    I agree Hatton will find 147 tough and probably end up in a fight with PBF with the winner silencing their critics.
    back Wiz-nallace.

Don't get me wrong...I don't want to throw out the wrong idea here.

I think that Hatton will compete & he will give us some good fights...but I almost feel that once he comes stateside...he's gonna realize that things are a bit different than fighting home court all the time.

No one has really said much about that...& I might be wrong...but he won't have his own ref, ring, or time zone to his favor...& that might MIGHT be an issue.

Also...I'm not saying that Hatton was cheating or anything like that...I just think that some of these things that have affected U.S. fighters when they went to Britland has to possibley work the same way here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Wacko about being able to fight on the road. Fighters who fight in the U.S. are usually amongst mixed crowds, or even though they are American, that doesn't mean they are on their homecourt.

Dropping this belt is a deal made by Bob Arum. Cotto is in the 140 division, and is promoted by Bob. Floyd is ready for Oscar,Hatton, Margarito, Mosely,etc. Cotto is not. Cotto needs another year, and if Floyd stays, they might be forced to fight earlier than expected. Which isn't good for Cotto or Bob Arum's stable of undefeated fighters.

Thread Information