680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: PBC on NBC

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Poor Zerafa was out cold with his eyes open
    I've always liked Quillen but you never know what his fights will look like. Hope Zerafa is alright. I thought penal colony fighters were tougher.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lets hope the Zerafa is ok, that was brutal. To have a catchweight () of 163 and then to come in 20 lbs + is complete garbage. If I was Quillin I'd hold off on throwing candy to the crowd giving the circumstances FFS but he shows obvious concern

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

These mismatches are bound to cause serious injury or a death soon enough. Getting fed up with them.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quillin Kos Jacobs me thinks. Good little scrap that one

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Lets hope the Zerafa is ok, that was brutal. To have a catchweight () of 163 and then to come in 20 lbs + is complete garbage. If I was Quillin I'd hold off on throwing candy to the crowd giving the circumstances FFS but he shows obvious concern
    I hear what you are saying but to blame Quillen for the status quo of boxing these days may be unfair. These weight gains after weighins need to be addressed. We even have idiots refusing to step on the scale prior to a fight aka Chavez. This is now what boxing is, hope it doesn't take a tragedy to address. I don't really understand how the rules have changed but if pretty boy was able to he could have done the same thing.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I hear what you are saying but to blame Quillen for the status quo of boxing these days may be unfair. These weight gains after weighins need to be addressed. We even have idiots refusing to step on the scale prior to a fight aka Chavez. This is now what boxing is, hope it doesn't take a tragedy to address. I don't really understand how the rules have changed but if pretty boy was able to he could have done the same thing.

That is a good point. Those who govern the sport are almost more responsible then the fighters but then we can drift into moral responsibility. Just because that kind of unfair advantage is allowed should it be a bottomless pit? What if he scaled 190 or god forbid 200? The premeditation to participate in the match rests with the fighter. To think that he went there against a fighter that had no chance to begin with is off the mark and the wins a hollow one.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My cousin and I are hoping Maciec will mess Centeno's hair up so we can see what will happen. Lol, he must have 12 ounces of styling jell on his hair. He's looking good!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Well yeh, I don't blame Quillin for the sports irresponsibility and habit of constantly winging the rules and requirements, but if you need meaningless catchweights for what is already an undeniable mismatch and then come in 20+...its unprofessional to me, just move up in weight already. The deck is completely stacked in many of these matches aka set ups and 'names' are allowed to get away with murder, or at least a mugging. On the flip side rehydration clauses can be dangerous as well?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Should be same day weigh-in. The extra time actually protects the bigger man from the smaller man. I can't understand why it's allowed to go on. With all the weight divisions that have been added there should be no need for the extra time to rehydrate. IMO

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Should be same day weigh-in. The extra time actually protects the bigger man from the smaller man. I can't understand why it's allowed to go on. With all the weight divisions that have been added there should be no need for the extra time to rehydrate. IMO
    I'm ok with day before weigh-ins for fighters safety but there needs to be a maximum weight that a fighter can re-hydrate to.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The charlo twins are the future. They are easily the best at 154, and yes, that includes canelo.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    The charlo twins are the future. They are easily the best at 154, and yes, that includes canelo.
    I'm not on the bandwagon yet. Budrage is 42. A good win for a young contender but lets not go overboard. Jermell didn't impress me against Vanes either. I'd see Canelo, Lara, and Andrade beating them both. Maybe even Trout.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lineal View Post
    I'm ok with day before weigh-ins for fighters safety but there needs to be a maximum weight that a fighter can re-hydrate to.
    Day before weighs have nothing to do with boxer safety. Fight in the proper weight class then conduct yourself professionally and keep yourself in shape.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lineal View Post
    Day before weighs have nothing to do with boxer safety. Fight in the proper weight class then conduct yourself professionally and keep yourself in shape.
    The reason day before weigh-ins were introduced was because of concerns about dehydrated fighters not having enough time between the weigh-in and the fight to properly re-hydrate. There are many medical risks associated with dehydration, including reducing the amount of cerebrospinal fluid in which the brain floats. Insufficient fluid compromises the cushion-effect and the brain's ability to absorb shock. If that ain't fighter safety I don't know what is.

That's all well and good to say, but what fighters do that these day? I think a more realistic approach is to have a maximum weight a fighter can re hydrate to.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you manage your weight properly, you aren't having to dehydrate yourself. Also, day before weigh ins encourage dangerous levels of dehydration. Fighters figure it is ok; they only have to make weight for a moment and then there is an advantage to be gained by dehydrating big. This "edge" encourages an insanely unhealthy approach to weight management.
    I know a guy that suffered a career ending knew injury wrestling a 165 pound guy in a junior welter fight. Joey Gamache suffered brain damage in a junior welter fight with a 162 pound Gatti.
    Rehydration clauses won't catch on. Who is going to start cancelling fights?
    Same day is the only way to go. If you feel right getting into the ring at 164, be a freaking middleweight. Don't call yourself a junior welter and think you are getting over.

Thread Information