Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Floyd be mentioned 50 years from now?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Will Floyd be mentioned 50 years from now?

The way we shiver & shake in our boots when we mention SRR, SRL, Marvin Hagler, Willie Pep, Henry Armstrong?

I think ..... ...... NAY!

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will Floyd be mentioned 50 years from now?

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    The way we shiver & shake in our boots when we mention SRR, SRL, Marvin Hagler, Willie Pep, Henry Armstrong?

I think ..... ...... NAY!
    My cousin lives in Las Vegas.

Nobody mentions Floyd Mayweather now. They can't stand his fighting {non-action} style.

The only people who like him, and are the Hip-Hop and Gangsta-Rap people in Los Angeles.

He ain't no 'Marciano'.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

can everyone stop making mayweather threads please
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not by us we'll be dead.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

oh im sure he'll be mentioned. Just not the way those others are by many people. He'll have a decent niche following. There will always be fans that think he was the best to ever don a pair of boxing gloves. He was skillful, no doubt.

The issue I see is that he has created a big production about himself and people have seen him go from 100% skill and 0% marketing to maybe 50/ 50 over the years. It's a demon he created for himself and the crux of this is how easy will it be from here out for kids that will never be as skillful as he is, to just go bigger and use the same tactics at the negotiating table, in social media, on press tours and whatever to create a public image where they never have to actually be as skillful. What if boxing's next hype job golden boy decides he doesn't like fighting certain styles, or mandatories, or fighting outside his home town... Will there be catch weights, no attempt to make weight and penalties paid instead, rehydration clauses, glove clauses, announcement clauses, drug testing agencies in their pocket, etc etc. Floyd set a horrible precedent now and a pandoras box of all type of f*ckery is at the disposal of prima donna up and comers who will pick and choose from this arsenal of BS and try to erase indiscretions by quoting how much they're making as evidence of their "dominance". Which is my biggest fear for the future and dislike about floyd's mark on the sport. Hearing some hyped up manufactured fighter saying "he doesnt deserve to fight me/ the payday".. as a reason not to fight a "peoples champ" will be the undoing of the sport.

There will be lots of kids who take the "money" mold and run with it, thereby watering down the magnitude of his accomplishments. He'll still he listed as an all time defensive great like sweet pea though. A guy you just really couldnt hit cleanly. just my opinion of course.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    oh im sure he'll be mentioned. Just not the way those others are by many people. He'll have a decent niche following. There will always be fans that think he was the best to ever don a pair of boxing gloves. He was skillful, no doubt.

The issue I see is that he has created a big production about himself and people have seen him go from 100% skill and 0% marketing to maybe 50/ 50 over the years. It's a demon he created for himself and the crux of this is how easy will it be from here out for kids that will never be as skillful as he is, to just go bigger and use the same tactics at the negotiating table, in social media, on press tours and whatever to create a public image where they never have to actually be as skillful. What if boxing's next hype job golden boy decides he doesn't like fighting certain styles, or mandatories, or fighting outside his home town... Will there be catch weights, no attempt to make weight and penalties paid instead, rehydration clauses, glove clauses, announcement clauses, drug testing agencies in their pocket, etc etc. Floyd set a horrible precedent now and a pandoras box of all type of f*ckery is at the disposal of prima donna up and comers who will pick and choose from this arsenal of BS and try to erase indiscretions by quoting how much they're making as evidence of their "dominance". Which is my biggest fear for the future and dislike about floyd's mark on the sport. Hearing some hyped up manufactured fighter saying "he doesnt deserve to fight me/ the payday".. as a reason not to fight a "peoples champ" will be the undoing of the sport.

There will be lots of kids who take the "money" mold and run with it, thereby watering down the magnitude of his accomplishments. He'll still he listed as an all time defensive great like sweet pea though. A guy you just really couldnt hit cleanly. just my opinion of course.
    This is a solemn promise to you Sir! I will use the word "f*ckery" at least once a day as long as I can. Lol

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think so, he assured himself a place in history. Also, we will be talking about him next year when he fights again. I don't think he will be talked about as TBE but will be talked about as an ATG

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know if I'll create or be pushed into any f*ckery today but I'm off to find out.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post

This is a solemn promise to you Sir! I will use the word "f*ckery" at least once a day as long as I can. Lol
    Bwahahaha. I can't take all the credit. It's some word my lady started saying and somehow it just stuck. Dirty mouth is just but one of her amazing qualities.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopefully as the guy who wasted all his money and made a comeback and got beaten up by Crawford.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why not? We remember far worse fighters from 50, even 100 years ago, and we talk about them. As hard as some try to obfuscate, they can't.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

50 years from now I will start a thread looking into the P4P greatest con artists of the sport and I am sure Floyd will get a mention or two.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post

Bwahahaha. I can't take all the credit. It's some word my lady started saying and somehow it just stuck. Dirty mouth is just but one of her amazing qualities.
    Please tell her she is my newest heroine. Lol

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not in the light he and his fans would like or think he deserves. Some things will not change. Pretty sure Broner will be trying to get top price on E bay for that autographed shirt though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes.

Thread Information