3. Joe Louis
    4. Ray Robinson
    5. Rocky Marciano
    6. Larry Holmes
    7. George Forman
    8. Joe calzaghe
    9. Lenox Lewis
    10. Bernard Hopkins

I know my top list is probably different to a lot but I'm pretty harsh on fighters. I would love to add Roy Jones, Tyson etc but if fighters chose to fight past there prime they need to take the good with the bad.
    So you punish fighters when they are past their prime...

Mayweather arguably 'peaked' a decade ago; and fought this year.

Hagler may of peaked in the late 70s, and no matter what was never quite so Marvelous post Sibson, yet fought on until 1987.

Louis peaked in the late 30s and fought on into the 50s.

Robinson peaked in the 40s and fought on onto the 60s.

Holmes possibly peaked in the Norton fight, certainly was not the same post Cooney and yet in 82 he was only a third of the way through his career (in time).

Foreman peaked in 73 yet was still fighting nearly 25 years later!

Hopkins peaked in the later part of the 20th century and certainly was never quite the same post Trinidad, yet he is still active a decade and a half later...
    Maybe it is the fact that they peaked and still did well to some degree. Suprised Roberto Duran is not in it then.

Each to their own but Floyd being top is just horrible.
    It is very subjective; within reason there is no right or wrong. I did a list earlier this year. My top 10 went:

10 Carlos Monzon
    9 Benny Leonard
    8 Ezzard Charles
    7 Joe Louis
    6 Muhammad Ali
    5 Harry Greb
    4 Bob Fitzsimmons
    3 Roberto Duran
    2 Henry Armstrong
    1 Ray Robinson

Of those not listed on g3org3's 10:

Lil Floyd I had at 17; Hagler 34; Marciano 54; Holmes 44; Foreman 55; Lewis 76; Hopkins 26 and I did not have Calzaghe in the 100.
    If ever you are bored, with no other commitments, please post your top 100. That top 10 looka good.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: George foreman comeback

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by g3org3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by g3org3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    How good was george foreman to come back and win the belt like he did...does that show how great he was as a heavyweight or do we pick on the era.

Tommy morrison beat him in the end but does the comeback george made make a difference to your top 5 heavyweight list?
    ABSOLUTELY

It was a call of redemption, as everyone had thought George to be 'A Joke' when he made his
    announcement to come back.

He accomplished more than Cassius Clay did {later in his career} by 10 Fold.
    He did...but ali beat him in his prime
    He did but if they had 10 fights how many times do you think Ali could pull that off ? 2 times maybe 3 at most, Forman is ranked higher in my all time list than Ali
    Show me your list, I could do with a laugh.
    Top 10 all time is probably

1. Floyd mayweather
    2. Marvin hagler
    3. Joe Louis
    4. Ray Robinson
    5. Rocky Marciano
    6. Larry Holmes
    7. George Forman
    8. Joe calzaghe
    9. Lenox Lewis
    10. Bernard Hopkins

I know my top list is probably different to a lot but I'm pretty harsh on fighters. I would love to add Roy Jones, Tyson etc but if fighters chose to fight past there prime they need to take the good with the bad.
    Joe Louis got smashed by Rocky. Foreman lost to Morrison, Briggs and Holyfield so these 2 top fighters fought on past their best. Not even mention Robinson fighting way past his prime.

You are also giving too much respect for undefeated record and surprised you did not have Sven Ottke on your list.
    Spot on here Master. You can't leave people out for fighting on past their primes and ultimately being beaten by people who they would have schooled in their primes and then still have Robinson up there.

IMO Robinson is the greatest ever so for me when we talk about atg's, yes there has to be longevity but if they do fight on too long we have to consider their primes when compiling these lists and not the shadow of their former selves they go on to become.

As for the achievements of Foreman? Absolutely phenomenal!! And to me he is the second greatest HW of all time to Ali. I read earlier someone saying if they fought 10 times..... Ali was a master of game plans and was also amazing at adjusting to styles but he actually told us what he'd do to Foreman before the fight and then carried it out pretty much to the word and Foreman couldn't change his gameplan despite being warned about what Ali would do.

Anyway I don't want to sound like I am taking anything away from George, he is a true legend and to hold the greatest title in the greatest division in what was probably the 2 greatest eras of that division is one of the greatest achievements in the history of the sport.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: George foreman comeback

It added to his legacy the fact he was the oldest champion was something special. MM was a great fighter but he beat a Holyfeild that had some medical issues and that the best he ever became. Foreman was a great champion but at the end of the day he could not defend the belt much. His best wins are Frazier, Norton, Lyle and MM pretty great wins but him not being able to defend the belt much kinda effects his rating for me. I have Holyfeild, Lewis, and Ali cearly ahead of him but he is somewhere in the top 10 his comeback gave him more legacy and better quiltey win to his resume.

Thread Information