Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default George foreman comeback

How good was george foreman to come back and win the belt like he did...does that show how great he was as a heavyweight or do we pick on the era.

Tommy morrison beat him in the end but does the comeback george made make a difference to your top 5 heavyweight list?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: George foreman comeback

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    How good was george foreman to come back and win the belt like he did...does that show how great he was as a heavyweight or do we pick on the era.

Tommy morrison beat him in the end but does the comeback george made make a difference to your top 5 heavyweight list?
    ABSOLUTELY

It was a call of redemption, as everyone had thought George to be 'A Joke' when he made his
    announcement to come back.

He accomplished more than Cassius Clay did {later in his career} by 10 Fold.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post

ABSOLUTELY

It was a call of redemption, as everyone had thought George to be 'A Joke' when he made his

He did...but ali beat him in his prime

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

George Foreman becoming HW champion in the two greatest eras of HW boxing, 20 years apart was truly phenomenal & unlikely ever to be matched.

In the 70s he was relentlessly destructive but fought with little or no intelligence; in the 90s, he fought with great intelligence but was so slow that you could see his punches coming from 2 decades earlier!

I've always said that if you could marry Foreman's 70s incarnation with his 90s incarnation, he'd be largely unbeatable.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Big George was lucky to win the title and carefully handpicked his fighters he fought. Sure he won the title but it was against the glass jaw Michael Moorer.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ABSOLUTELY

He did but if they had 10 fights how many times do you think Ali could pull that off ? 2 times maybe 3 at most, Forman is ranked higher in my all time list than Ali

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by g3org3 View Post

ABSOLUTELY

He did but if they had 10 fights how many times do you think Ali could pull that off ? 2 times maybe 3 at most, Forman is ranked higher in my all time list than Ali
    Show me your list, I could do with a laugh.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

ABSOLUTELY

Top 10 all time is probably

1. Floyd mayweather
    2. Marvin hagler
    3. Joe Louis
    4. Ray Robinson
    5. Rocky Marciano
    6. Larry Holmes
    7. George Forman
    8. Joe calzaghe
    9. Lenox Lewis
    10. Bernard Hopkins

I know my top list is probably different to a lot but I'm pretty harsh on fighters. I would love to add Roy Jones, Tyson etc but if fighters chose to fight past there prime they need to take the good with the bad.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ABSOLUTELY

1. Floyd mayweather
    2. Marvin hagler
    3. Joe Louis
    4. Ray Robinson
    5. Rocky Marciano
    6. Larry Holmes
    7. George Forman
    8. Joe calzaghe
    9. Lenox Lewis
    10. Bernard Hopkins

I know my top list is probably different to a lot but I'm pretty harsh on fighters. I would love to add Roy Jones, Tyson etc but if fighters chose to fight past there prime they need to take the good with the bad.
    Joe Louis got smashed by Rocky. Foreman lost to Morrison, Briggs and Holyfield so these 2 top fighters fought on past their best. Not even mention Robinson fighting way past his prime.

You are also giving too much respect for undefeated record and surprised you did not have Sven Ottke on your list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. Floyd mayweather
    2. Marvin hagler
    3. Joe Louis
    4. Ray Robinson
    5. Rocky Marciano
    6. Larry Holmes
    7. George Forman
    8. Joe calzaghe
    9. Lenox Lewis
    10. Bernard Hopkins

So you punish fighters when they are past their prime...

Mayweather arguably 'peaked' a decade ago; and fought this year.

Hagler may of peaked in the late 70s, and no matter what was never quite so Marvelous post Sibson, yet fought on until 1987.

Louis peaked in the late 30s and fought on into the 50s.

Robinson peaked in the 40s and fought on onto the 60s.

Holmes possibly peaked in the Norton fight, certainly was not the same post Cooney and yet in 82 he was only a third of the way through his career (in time).

Foreman peaked in 73 yet was still fighting nearly 25 years later!

Hopkins peaked in the later part of the 20th century and certainly was never quite the same post Trinidad, yet he is still active a decade and a half later...
    Last edited by Britkid; 12-28-2015 at 06:27 PM.
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid View Post

1. Floyd mayweather
    2. Marvin hagler
    3. Joe Louis
    4. Ray Robinson
    5. Rocky Marciano
    6. Larry Holmes
    7. George Forman
    8. Joe calzaghe
    9. Lenox Lewis
    10. Bernard Hopkins

Hagler may of peaked in the late 70s, and no matter what was never quite so Marvelous post Sibson, yet fought on until 1987.

Holmes possibly peaked in the Norton fight, certainly was not the same post Cooney and yet in 82 he was only a third of the way through his career (in time).

Hopkins peaked in the later part of the 20th century and certainly was never quite the same post Trinidad, yet he is still active a decade and a half later...
    Maybe it is the fact that they peaked and still did well to some degree. Suprised Roberto Duran is not in it then.

Each to their own but Floyd being top is just horrible.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. Floyd mayweather
    2. Marvin hagler
    3. Joe Louis
    4. Ray Robinson
    5. Rocky Marciano
    6. Larry Holmes
    7. George Forman
    8. Joe calzaghe
    9. Lenox Lewis
    10. Bernard Hopkins

Maybe it is the fact that they peaked and still did well to some degree. Suprised Roberto Duran is not in it then.

Each to their own but Floyd being top is just horrible.
    It is very subjective; within reason there is no right or wrong. I did a list earlier this year. My top 10 went:

10 Carlos Monzon
    9 Benny Leonard
    8 Ezzard Charles
    7 Joe Louis
    6 Muhammad Ali
    5 Harry Greb
    4 Bob Fitzsimmons
    3 Roberto Duran
    2 Henry Armstrong
    1 Ray Robinson

Of those not listed on g3org3's 10:

Lil Floyd I had at 17; Hagler 34; Marciano 54; Holmes 44; Foreman 55; Lewis 76; Hopkins 26 and I did not have Calzaghe in the 100.
    Last edited by Britkid; 12-28-2015 at 10:41 PM.

George Foreman

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. Floyd mayweather
    2. Marvin hagler
    3. Joe Louis
    4. Ray Robinson
    5. Rocky Marciano
    6. Larry Holmes
    7. George Forman
    8. Joe calzaghe
    9. Lenox Lewis
    10. Bernard Hopkins

No what I mean is let's use Roy Jones as the perfect example, I don't rate fighters when they fight way past there prime and continue to lose to very poor opposition. If Roy had retired after say the glen Johnson fight I would probably of had him top 5 but he continued to fight and get beat by lesser fighters and I don't give fighters a pass just because there out of there prime. If they chose to fight past there prime they must take everything that comes with it good or bad.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ABSOLUTELY

1. Floyd mayweather
    2. Marvin hagler
    3. Joe Louis
    4. Ray Robinson
    5. Rocky Marciano
    6. Larry Holmes
    7. George Forman
    8. Joe calzaghe
    9. Lenox Lewis
    10. Bernard Hopkins

Joe Louis got smashed by Rocky. Foreman lost to Morrison, Briggs and Holyfield so these 2 top fighters fought on past their best. Not even mention Robinson fighting way past his prime.

You are also giving too much respect for undefeated record and surprised you did not have Sven Ottke on your list.

Yes they did fight past there prime but they were not constantly getting beat up by shit opposition like Jones Jr. Tyson etc so that's why I've included them and a top 10 list is very subjective everyone likes different things in fighters. I honestly don't know how people can have Duran in any list after that no mas but that's just my opinion not that it matters much.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. Floyd mayweather
    2. Marvin hagler
    3. Joe Louis
    4. Ray Robinson
    5. Rocky Marciano
    6. Larry Holmes
    7. George Forman
    8. Joe calzaghe
    9. Lenox Lewis
    10. Bernard Hopkins

No what I mean is let's use Roy Jones as the perfect example, I don't rate fighters when they fight way past there prime and continue to lose to very poor opposition. If Roy had retired after say the glen Johnson fight I would probably of had him top 5 but he continued to fight and get beat by lesser fighters and I don't give fighters a pass just because there out of there prime. If they chose to fight past there prime they must take everything that comes with it good or bad.
    Then I ask again; why rate the Foreman's and Robinson's? Both lost to fighters on par with those who have flattened Jones recently.

George Foreman

Thread Information