Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eubank, Benn, Watson and the last golden era of British boxing.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Eubank, Benn, Watson and the last golden era of British boxing.

No Middle Ground by Sanjeev Shetty is the book.

This is an interesting book I have been reading over the holidays and I will post areas which I fund interesting in the book as I finish reading it. It brought back nostalgic memories of when i was an avid fan.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Eubank, Benn, Watson and the last golden era of British boxing.

When Benn wanted to leave Frank Warren for Ambrose Mendy, they had to use Frank Maloney as the promoter as Mendy did not have a licence.

Benn wanted to fight Herol Graham and said he would beat him and go for his body but mendy said Watson would be easier to beat.

Benn turned down $3million to fight Nunn when Nigel was undefeated Commonwealth champion because he had only been a professional for 2 years and was not ready.

Benn’s mum went to the Logan fight and did not attend another fight again as she cried for someone to stop hitting her son.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watson had a younger brother who miraculously survived a car accident as a child.

Watson was a painter, decorator and cab driver during the early professional boxing career.

I forgot that Watson lost to James Cook early in his pro career when he took the veteran too lightly.

Watson and Jim McDonnell , fellow friends in the same stable and Arsenal fans, put bets on that they would win their fights against Benn and Barry McGuigan and Arsenal to win the title which all happened in 1989.

NBC bought the Benn v Watson fight to show.

The late Bernie Grant suggested Finsbury park under a tent for the venue Benn v Watson.

Mendy used the phrase “Who’s bad” for the fight and was going to be sued by Jackson’s until he offered them 10 tickets.

Marsh was in Benn’s camp when he was charged with the shooting of Frank Warren.

Watson broke his nose for the Mike McCallum fight which led to a delay. Mike fought Steve Collins in the interim and Watson was denied any warm up fight.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Those three were a great rivalry and it is sad that many "fans" on my side of the pond never took much interest in them. They all matched up well and their fights/rivalries were easily the equivalent of the Hagler-Leonard-Hearns, or similar rivalries. Imagine if James Toney, Mike McAllum, and Julian Jackson had been thrown in that mix!!!!

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Those three were a great rivalry and it is sad that many "fans" on my side of the pond never took much interest in them. They all matched up well and their fights/rivalries were easily the equivalent of the Hagler-Leonard-Hearns, or similar rivalries. Imagine if James Toney, Mike McAllum, and Julian Jackson had been thrown in that mix!!!!
    The fights never happened because they were not good enough. Only Benn had the bottle to go to USA.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've always felt that Watson was the most talented of the group. Still do.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    These 3 were not the best in the country at the time never mind the world. Herol Graham was.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm still surprised at how big the trio surpassed boarders and were so visible at the time considering no web and all. It seemed even down here Benn and Eubank fights were being aired on any random obscure channel. Benn did well to totally take it on the road after Watson pulled his curtain back, rebuild in the States on free TV and cap it off back home. More than a benefit to a division or with respect, homeland, the sport as a whole was far better for trio.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    These 3 were not the best in the country at the time never mind the world. Herol Graham was.

Could be but even though their careers sort of overlapped they sorta didn't. He retired or stopped boxing for over 4 years in the early 90's right when the other crew was in stride other then Watson whose career was cut short.

When I think of the Fab 4 in relationship to British boxing its always been Benn, Eubank, Collins and Watson. When I think of the 4 Horseman on this side its Leonard, Hagler, Hearns and Duran. In reality I suppose it should be 5 because of Benitez and equally deserving the Fab 5

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Could be but even though their careers sort of overlapped they sorta didn't. He retired or stopped boxing for over 4 years in the early 90's right when the other crew was in stride other then Watson whose career was cut short.

When I think of the Fab 4 in relationship to British boxing its always been Benn, Eubank, Collins and Watson. When I think of the 4 Horseman on this side its Leonard, Hagler, Hearns and Duran. In reality I suppose it should be 5 because of Benitez and equally deserving the Fab 5
    thing is it was benn and eubank really

yeah Watson was there and probably was the best out of the three but people really wanted to see the benn and eubank fights

I don't think Collins can be added to that, he came along at the end when both fighters had had their day
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

yeah Watson was there and probably was the best out of the three but people really wanted to see the benn and eubank fights

I don't think Collins can be added to that, he came along at the end when both fighters had had their day
    I remember Watson being very popular. He even was allowed the McCallum slip up. He was not as brash as Benn or Eubank, but that worked in his favour. He was very much the equal in the popularity stakes at least down here in London.
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid View Post

I remember Watson being very popular. He even was allowed the McCallum slip up. He was not as brash as Benn or Eubank, but that worked in his favour. He was very much the equal in the popularity stakes at least down here in London.
    yep I can understand that, I'm from the north and Watson wasn't a name with the casual fan, not like Benn Eubank anyway

I think all three would be bigger stars now, even without each other

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting POV regarding Collins. He is/was tricky for me to rank/gauge. I always considered Collins to be the major threat to Roy during those times, but I'm not sure if if that was the case.

I agree that Collins beat Benn and Eubank when both were past their best: Eubank never seemed the same to me after crippling Watson, and Benn seemed done after so many wars (the worst being the McLellan fight). That being said, Collins always struck me as that guy who overcame his limitations (speed/athleticism) with elite stamina, strength, mental toughness (I remember he would get hypnotized and that unsettled Eubank), and self confidence. In other words, I think of Collins as Carl Froch with slightly less punching power.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post

Interesting POV regarding Collins. He is/was tricky for me to rank/gauge. I always considered Collins to be the major threat to Roy during those times, but I'm not sure if if that was the case.

I agree that Collins beat Benn and Eubank when both were past their best: Eubank never seemed the same to me after crippling Watson, and Benn seemed done after so many wars (the worst being the McLellan fight). That being said, Collins always struck me as that guy who overcame his limitations (speed/athleticism) with elite stamina, strength, mental toughness (I remember he would get hypnotized and that unsettled Eubank), and self confidence. In other words, I think of Collins as Carl Froch with slightly less punching power.
    I can kind of see the connection but totally different styles

You could argue Eubank was still somewhere near his best when Collins beat him, he was still unbeaten after all

but you are right, he was never the same after Watson and hadn't looked good at all in the lead up to Collins as far as I remember

when Collins and benn fought benn was miles past his best, it was a couple of those end of career fights a lot of great fighters have

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I suppose from a National perspective it was that way but not for me looking in from the outside.

Thread Information