Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Paul Daniels RIP

Paul Daniels: TV magician dies after brain tumour diagnosis.

He was the mainstay of my Saturday night and was an entertaining magician. He lasted many years at the top.

Magician Paul Daniels has died aged 77, after being diagnosed with a brain tumour.
    He was at his Berkshire home with wife Debbie McGee when he died in the early hours of Thursday.
    "Debbie and the family would like to thank everyone for their support and asks that their privacy be respected at this sad time," his publicist said.

Illusionist Dynamo called Daniels "a true master and [his death] is just such sad news".

Daniels was born Newton Edward Daniels in Middlesbrough and developed his magic skills in working men's clubs, making his TV debut on talent series Opportunity Knocks.

He then took over the primetime Saturday night slot with his BBC show, which started in 1979.

Daniels was known for a string of catchphrases, including the line: "You'll like this... not a lot, but you'll like it."
    BBC correspondent Nick Higham said: "Paul Daniels could be chippy and some thought him smug. He fell out with BBC managers who dropped his show in the 1990s.

"But there was no doubting his popularity - or his talent."

He had recently returned from hospital to his Berkshire home, having been diagnosed in February. It was initially suspected he had suffered a stroke after he fell at home, but it was then discovered he had an inoperable tumour.
    His son, Martin Daniels, said at the time: "He has said before, 'When it's your time it's your time' and that's how he is trying to face up to things."

As well as McGee, who had been his on-stage assistant, Daniels leaves his three sons from a previous marriage - Martin, Paul and Gary.

Gary Daniels has tweeted a picture of a rabbit in a magician's hat with a tear in its eye, by friend and artist Helen Martin, and wrote: "It is with incredible sadness that I can confirm that Dad, Paul Daniels, passed away overnight."

Paul Daniels: TV magician dies after brain tumour diagnosis - BBC News[/url]
    Last edited by Master; 03-18-2016 at 06:22 AM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Paul Daniels RIP

One of them weird people who everyone seemed to hate, but somehow had a show for a decade and a half, so the rating were pretty solid.

He was an exceptional magician, and I always remember the spitting image piss take where Daniels would scream one of his catchphrases (that's magic!) while his wig spun six inches above his head!
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't mind Paul Daniels - entertaining and seemed a nice bloke and not afraid to take the piss out of himself.

Danny Baker paid tribute today and reminded of us one of his recent tour titles "Paul Daniels. Back - in Spite of Public Demand"

Made me chuckle anyway

RIP
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have not heard the stories of people hating him, I do know he was cocky.

His magic was brilliant and he was funny too.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information