Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default ESPN rankings for past 25 years

#P4Prank: Ranking top 25 pound-for-pound boxers of past 25 years

So espn has been ranking top 25 fighters of the past 25 years. It's a decent list but I have a few problems with it. I thought it would be a good discussion.

First, Morales is #18 and Barrera is #13. Maybe I'm biased being a big Morales fan but I think he definitely had the better career and is the better fighter. And if anything, Barrera should be one or maybe two above him.

#6 is a bit high for de la hoya. And this is coming from a big fan of his while he was a fighter (not as much as a promotor). He fought some great fighters, but to me lacked a little bit to get to that next level. I think he could fall a few spots.

Roy Jones at #4 is just dumb. No way should bhop be above him at all. Jones should be #1 or #2 no question. He was so dominant. He was #1 p4p for a long time. Bhop I don't think has ever been #1 yet he is ranked higher? How is that possible?

It's actually a decent list overall but has a few problems.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: ESPN rankings for past 25 years

Where was Joe Calzaghe? (can't find the full list)
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    #P4Prank: Ranking top 25 pound-for-pound boxers of past 25 years

So espn has been ranking top 25 fighters of the past 25 years. It's a decent list but I have a few problems with it. I thought it would be a good discussion.

First, Morales is #18 and Barrera is #13. Maybe I'm biased being a big Morales fan but I think he definitely had the better career and is the better fighter. And if anything, Barrera should be one or maybe two above him.

#6 is a bit high for de la hoya. And this is coming from a big fan of his while he was a fighter (not as much as a promotor). He fought some great fighters, but to me lacked a little bit to get to that next level. I think he could fall a few spots.

Roy Jones at #4 is just dumb. No way should bhop be above him at all. Jones should be #1 or #2 no question. He was so dominant. He was #1 p4p for a long time. Bhop I don't think has ever been #1 yet he is ranked higher? How is that possible?

It's actually a decent list overall but has a few problems.
    Roy Jones at #4 annoyed me as well. Like you said, Bernard shouldn't be above him either, tho I love B Hop.

Jones is the greatest of all time IMO, and easily the greatest of the past 25 years.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who was the best?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Where was Joe Calzaghe? (can't find the full list)
    14th

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Who was the best?
    Mayweather was #1. I know you hate it but it's hard to argue it. Jones is the only one with a case.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who was the best?
    Mayweather was #1. I know you hate it but it's hard to argue it. Jones is the only one with a case.
    I go with Jones

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who was the best?
    I go with Jones
    No way

I was sure you would say mayweather

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who was the best?
    I go with Jones
    No way

I was sure you would say mayweather
    Roy was everything Floyd was but with power.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No list would ever be satisfactory.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My biggest issues with the rankings are:
    1) Whitaker being ranked 8th, and behind Oscar. That is just insane. I can see a case for Floyd, Sweet Pea, JCC, and even Roy for #1, but I can't see ANY argument for Oscar to be ranked higher than any of them.
    2). Oscar being ranked ahead of JMM, Finito Lopez, Evander Holyfield...etc. Oscar was a great champion who fought all of the top fighters, but he lost many of his big fights and was given controversial wins more than once (Whitaker, Quartey, Sturm...etc.), no way Oscar should be ranked that high.

As for BHop, I can see a solid case for ranking him over Roy (I have him ranked higher on my list), and in the top 5. People rank Roy based on one of two criteria: his potential/freakish athleticism OR his actual in ring accomplishments/historical significance. If you rank him on how he looked in the ring and his natural gifts, you rank him close to the top. If you factor quality of opposition and historical significance, guys like Floyd, Manny, Sweet Pea, BHop, and JCC come out ahead.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy easily beat Hopkins when they fought. How that doesn't count for more amongst some people has always baffled me. CLEARLY Roy should be higher, in anywhere near his best form he would have always beat Hopkins and anyone that Hopkins was capable of beating, it really shouldn't even be an argument.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Roy easily beat Hopkins when they fought. How that doesn't count for more amongst some people has always baffled me. CLEARLY Roy should be higher, in anywhere near his best form he would have always beat Hopkins and anyone that Hopkins was capable of beating, it really shouldn't even be an argument.
    Roy won one fight and Hop won one fight. You will say Roy was old when Hop beat him, I will say Hop was green when Roy beat him. Hop beat an undefeated Glen Johnson, and dominated Tarver (jumping two weight classes to do so). Hop fought and beat better competition over a longer period of time and was never destroyed like Roy was. You will say Roy lost his punch resistance by losing too much weight vs Tarver, I will counter by saying Roy was as fast and good as he ever was in the second Tarver fight, he just fought a guy who had the right punch for him.

Point is, I can see your case and why you would feel like you do about Roy, I just completely disagree with you because I value certain attributes/criteria differently. For anyone to say that either is CLEARLY the better fighter who should be ranked higher isn't being honest with themselves and is blinded by bias.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Roy won one fight and Hop won one fight. You will say Roy was old when Hop beat him, I will say Hop was green when Roy beat him. Hop beat an undefeated Glen Johnson, and dominated Tarver (jumping two weight classes to do so). Hop fought and beat better competition over a longer period of time and was never destroyed like Roy was. You will say Roy lost his punch resistance by losing too much weight vs Tarver, I will counter by saying Roy was as fast and good as he ever was in the second Tarver fight, he just fought a guy who had the right punch for him.

Point is, I can see your case and why you would feel like you do about Roy, I just completely disagree with you because I value certain attributes/criteria differently. For anyone to say that either is CLEARLY the better fighter who should be ranked higher isn't being honest with themselves and is blinded by bias.
    Roy clearly beat Hopkins and his best and peak beats B Hop (and Toney) says how great Roy was.

The end.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post

Roy was a better fighter at his best, than Hopkins was at his, that's all. I'm not arguing that he has the better record, but considering he convincingly beat Hopkins when they fought each other I consider it pretty elementary to rank him higher. To bring up the rematch as if that puts them square, and then talk about being honest with yourself, I can only assume is an attempt at irony?
    Last edited by p4pking; 04-11-2016 at 03:53 AM.

Thread Information