Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homeless people, what are your thoughts?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Homeless people, what are your thoughts?

Do you give money to them, Do you call them names when you are drunk, do you buy them food instead of giving them money?

I've always felt a close affinity to the homeless myself, since the age of about 14 I have always tried to help out when I can, if that was buying a tin of dog food for the starving mans dog, if it was giving him my last 2 fags, telling him about a secret gig where there will be 100's of students later on in the night

I buyy breakfast for homeless people whenver I get the chance, I won't give them money but I'll buy them food.

Anyways I just saw a homeless woman and I asked her what she wanted from the chippy. she asked for chicken and chips, I asked if she had any preference of chicken eg thigh, breast, leg
    she looked genuinely perplexed and asked for a leg (why I don't know, if I want meat I go for the breast if I want flavour I go for the thigh, each to there own I suppose)

I sat down with her for a bit, she didn't seem like she was on or coming off anything and she said it was all about domestic violence why she has ended up on the street , any way after giving her another smoke and walking off I got half way down the road and stopped and thought 'just for one night, could I let her kip in the spare room, could I be that trusting' and I mean I actually stopped in my tracks and stood there for a good minute considering it, then I carried on my mission home.

Yes she could have robbed me blind whilst I was asleep. but at the same time I could have been the one to give her that one nights protection that she needed to turn her life around.

I dunno, that woman has kind of tugged on my heart strings and buying her some food actually makes me feel like a bit of a cunt

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Homeless people, what are your thoughts?

You shouldn't feel like a cunt for showing a little kindness. That is the weakness of a nice person. You can do something nice but still beat yourself up for it.

I sometimes see crippled people downtown pulling themselves around on the floor and I give enough to buy a cup of tea. I am told this is wrong though as they are often scam artists, but surely there are easier ways to make a living.

I don't understand homelessness really. There should be a social contract where everyone has the right to a bedroom from birth. But likewise people should be responsible and not have a dozen children. A bit of a compromise like that. At the very least the Royal scroungers should offer a bedroom or two.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have worked with the homeless, the addicted and the mentally I'll up until a recent career change. I enjoyed it. Part of my job was to find housing for the homeless. Most of the time they really appreciated the apartment but a decent percentage would tear the place up and be back on on the streets in a short period of time. One client I had was a doctor who trained in Europe but had a breakdown somewhere on the way and never got it back together
    T

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentally Ill quite a few. Schizotypal rainbow stuff, DSM-IV

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I have worked with the homeless, the addicted and the mentally I'll up until a recent career change. I enjoyed it. Part of my job was to find housing for the homeless. Most of the time they really appreciated the apartment but a decent percentage would tear the place up and be back on on the streets in a short period of time. One client I had was a doctor who trained in Europe but had a breakdown somewhere on the way and never got it back together
    T
    Goddam tragic.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Been on both sides and slept under a bridge or two and a few roofs. Frankly the cause was my head up my own arse, young, dumb and using. We've really become so cynical with homeless and I won't lie..you find yourself judging them..gauging or wondering if they are really homeless. As fucked up as that sounds. I literally see the same five people at exact same times on different corners just blocks from my house. They alternate and have this Bartertown thing going on with chairs and trash bags the leave. It does in fact almost become an actual job. Routine. Talk about awkward when you yourself are going over exact same tracks and while handing off a coffee and donut or maybe a couple of bucks yesterday...you pull up with nothing one morning at light as its all you could do to wake up and pull enough dimes for the toll bridge. I feel for the kids and the mentally affected who need actual help but the older I get its harder to believe there are not ways you can legally make a money..a skill, trade, or looking past our comfort zones or confinements. There really is no classification or 'normalcy' in homelessness so each to me is individual. If you uproot a "temp work and pay cash" sign staked on my street corner and paint "Homeless-need cash and help now-God bless" in huge letters on the other side and get mad when people hand you Cool ranch tacos and a box of protein bars..then fuck off.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

She would have probably thought you were a serial killer if you asked her back to your gaff.

I've given plenty of change and millions of fags (when i smoked) over the years. At night in the heart of London you can't walk past a doorway without someone kipping in it. Tragic.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Admit it, you just wanted to shag her ....... Fancied some cornflake crusted, sun dried kipper, trampy vag.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Batman, you did the right thing not inviting her in because it puts you in a vulnerable position in so many ways.

Birmingham has many people rough sleeping but a lot of them do have places they stay at and a lot come out at christmas begging.

There are plenty of emergency accommodation they can go to and safe houses for domestic violence incidents.

The properties are shared accommodation and single rooms with some dodgy landlords.

The real issue is mine on to permanent accommodation, there is a big shortage.

There are a few who prefer to stay homeless and can not live under a roof.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I could be bothered to volunteer in a soup kitchen for the homeless, wouldn't it be funny to hustle them out of the doors when it's near closing time saying "Come on, drink up, some of us have homes to go to"
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Admit it, you just wanted to shag her ....... Fancied some cornflake crusted, sun dried kipper, trampy vag.
    Just spat my tea out..ha!
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who the fuk drinks tea anymore? Anyway I received some gifts for my students everyday sometimes sweet sometimes a box of cereal sometimes chocolates Sometimes some juice and on my way back to Port Authority on 8th Avenue and 42nd Street everyday there are plenty of homeless people on the sides of the buildings with their hands out so I just give them the same gift that my students gave me

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Who the fuk drinks tea anymore? Anyway I received some gifts for my students everyday sometimes sweet sometimes a box of cereal sometimes chocolates Sometimes some juice and on my way back to Port Authority on 8th Avenue and 42nd Street everyday there are plenty of homeless people on the sides of the buildings with their hands out so I just give them the same gift that my students gave me
    Paying it forward so to speak aka generously unloading . I do that with gift cards around Christmas. Clinic usually get tons of random fast food, coffee and wal mart gift cards but low 5-10 dollar amounts from clients, each other and companies. Not to mention a shit load of homemade 'goodies' and store bought trays, popcorn tins etc etc. I like my cash so we just hand out food and a tenner on some card to local homeless. The fuck am I going to do with 50 boxes of stale cookies and chocolates come January .

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There was a guy in a town I lived in whom every Christmas he would pick a couple spots in town and hand out 100 dollar bills. Don't know how many he gave out a day but we are not talking about just 3 or 4. It would be many over several days in different spots of town. I never saw him but it made the paper every year. Must have been a decade he did this for. The guy died last year, he made the paper but up until then he stayed out of the news himself and let those he gave to be interviewed. I wonder how many towns have guys like that

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Everyone in Britain drinks tea and even more people in Ireland. WTF is your major malfunction numbnuts?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Thread Information