Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Prime Calzaghe vs Golovkin

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Joe Calzaghe didn't even unify titles at 168 until he fought Lacy.....and Joe had 6 more fights......wow, such a grueling career

RJJ was at 175 to be fought by ANYONE WILLING from 1996 to 2002....where was Joe?
    Hopkins was at 160 forever! Calzaghe was B-Hop's 3rd ever fight at 175.

Joe Calzaghe sat back, fought the likes of Tocker fucking Pudwill and waited for the best of his era to fade. FACT.

Was Calzaghe talented? Yes absolutely. Was Joe "Great"? You can safely consider him one of the best at 168. Was Joe the best of his era? No, Hell no, FUCK NO!

I say the same about Floyd Mayweather Jr and the same about Andre Ward.

Do you praise Kevin McBride and Danny Williams for beating Mike Tyson?

Then why praise Calzaghe?
    Come on Hopkins stayed in mw division for ever and it was weak as shit and he was beating up a few blown up welter weights with name value. Kessler is better then anyone Hopkins has beat in mw division and in some cases lhw to. Joe is on par with Hopkins they both reign over weak division and moved up and won belts in the division up. Tell how many fighters beat Hopkins after Calzaghe did Dawson and fucking monster from Russia he beat everyone else. Tell me what Tyson did after his loses he went on to become 280 there not the same thing and you know it. Also if were going off fighters of there time there not even in the same time frame Calzaghe and Hopkins. Now back to GGG who you seem to love who the fuck has he beat nobody and why not move up himself don't see you having a fit over that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like you as a poster and think you have a lot of good points but i disagree with you here also i never said that Calzaghe was the best of his time either do not know were that is coming from. I am just saying Calzaghe being afraid of GGG pretty silly he box his ears off and he is bigger dude.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Come on Hopkins stayed in mw division for ever and it was weak as shit and he was beating up a few blown up welter weights with name value. Kessler is better then anyone Hopkins has beat in mw division and in some cases lhw to. Joe is on par with Hopkins they both reign over weak division and moved up and won belts in the division up. Tell how many fighters beat Hopkins after Calzaghe did Dawson and fucking monster from Russia he beat everyone else. Tell me what Tyson did after his loses he went on to become 280 there not the same thing and you know it. Also if were going off fighters of there time there not even in the same time frame Calzaghe and Hopkins. Now back to GGG who you seem to love who the fuck has he beat nobody and why not move up himself don't see you having a fit over that.
    Hopkins stayed in the middleweight division for a long time.....but he unified the belts while he was there. Calzaghe just had the WBO belt until he fought Jeff Lacy which was a fight very late in Joe's career. If Joe wasn't making super fights then what was he doing at 168? Can ANYONE tell me that? Sure Svenn Ottke is a punk and wouldn't leave Germany and wouldn't fight anyone worth a damn, but there were other belts to be had no

Kessler was a good fighter I don't begrudge that, but for fucks sake Mikkel and Jeff Lacy are the only PRIME fighters that were any good you can say Joe fought and beat, ok MAYBE add Robin Reid. Hopkins cleaned out the middleweight division....can't say that about Calzaghe seeing how he had 1 title for the majority of his career and I'm sorry in the day and age which Joe Calzaghe fought that's NOT impressive, 46-0-0 is nice, but 1 title, it's damn near pathetic considering how talented I admit Calzaghe is....which he is....he's just not as talented as a Prime RJJ or Prime Hopkins

The fights should have been made earlier, if you think that's 100% on RJJ or Hopkins fine, I'm just not giving the same value to those fights because of when they happened. If Calzaghe fought RJJ in say 1998 and won, then we wouldn't be having this little debate but he didn't....sorry.

"Now back to GGG who you seem to love"......settle down sweetheart, I haven't even said "I'm a Golovkin fan" he's a good fighter, he's in the middle of his career and in his prime and that's about all I have to say about him. Just because I don't think Joe Calzaghe hung the moon doesn't mean I'm a Golovkin fanboy. I said Joe wouldn't fight him seeing how he's in his prime....when Golovkin is 37 a Prime Calzaghe would fight him...that's all I'm saying and I'm saying Floyd and Ward would do the exact same thing so don't get your panties in a bunch....we disagree on the internet on the subject of a hypothetical boxing matchup, it's not the end of the world....at least not for me.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he was also not about to leave the comfy confines of England
    Wales, mate, Wales
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    he was also not about to leave the comfy confines of England
    Wales, mate, Wales
    Wasn't talking about his mother

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins stayed in the middleweight division for a long time.....but he unified the belts while he was there. Calzaghe just had the WBO belt until he fought Jeff Lacy which was a fight very late in Joe's career. If Joe wasn't making super fights then what was he doing at 168? Can ANYONE tell me that? Sure Svenn Ottke is a punk and wouldn't leave Germany and wouldn't fight anyone worth a damn, but there were other belts to be had no

Kessler was a good fighter I don't begrudge that, but for fucks sake Mikkel and Jeff Lacy are the only PRIME fighters that were any good you can say Joe fought and beat, ok MAYBE add Robin Reid. Hopkins cleaned out the middleweight division....can't say that about Calzaghe seeing how he had 1 title for the majority of his career and I'm sorry in the day and age which Joe Calzaghe fought that's NOT impressive, 46-0-0 is nice, but 1 title, it's damn near pathetic considering how talented I admit Calzaghe is....which he is....he's just not as talented as a Prime RJJ or Prime Hopkins

The fights should have been made earlier, if you think that's 100% on RJJ or Hopkins fine, I'm just not giving the same value to those fights because of when they happened. If Calzaghe fought RJJ in say 1998 and won, then we wouldn't be having this little debate but he didn't....sorry.

"Now back to GGG who you seem to love"......settle down sweetheart, I haven't even said "I'm a Golovkin fan" he's a good fighter, he's in the middle of his career and in his prime and that's about all I have to say about him. Just because I don't think Joe Calzaghe hung the moon doesn't mean I'm a Golovkin fanboy. I said Joe wouldn't fight him seeing how he's in his prime....when Golovkin is 37 a Prime Calzaghe would fight him...that's all I'm saying and I'm saying Floyd and Ward would do the exact same thing so don't get your panties in a bunch....we disagree on the internet on the subject of a hypothetical boxing matchup, it's not the end of the world....at least not for me.
    I in no way said they were in there primes but you are comparing Hopkins to what Tyson was when he lost thats kinda over doing it Hopkins was still very game top fighter years after that. I never said Calzaghe was ranked over Jones i still think him and Hopkins comp and what did are close.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

While we are imagining stuff,this should be fought in Ireland at some catchweight, with the weigh in on the morning of the fight.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A prime Jones/GGG would be more fun.

Got me checking this out again.

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe was the greatest fighter of all time. He could not be beat. GGG is good, but he isn't interplanetary.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Calzaghe was the greatest fighter of all time. He could not be beat. GGG is good, but he isn't interplanetary.
    I do not feel he was the greatest of all time but he is a league above ggg and as for hopkins i do not get why people act like they are so different. Hopkins dominated a weak division just like he did for 10 years and then moved up and had great wins i do not see why Calzaghe always gets shit for it.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is probably the US-centric perspective - "American fighters are the greatest, y'all!". It is of course complete bollocks, but a daft nationalist is as a daft nationalist does.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is probably the US-centric perspective - "American fighters are the greatest, y'all!". It is of course complete bollocks, but a daft nationalist is as a daft nationalist does.
    I am from the us and i use to think less of Calzaghe then i do now i watch a lot of his fights and Hopkins and look at the guys they fought and really there no difference. The big thing is he beat guys like Tito who was ok mw and Oscar who did not belong at that weight at all but they were big names.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am from the us and i use to think less of Calzaghe then i do now i watch a lot of his fights and Hopkins and look at the guys they fought and really there no difference. The big thing is he beat guys like Tito who was ok mw and Oscar who did not belong at that weight at all but they were big names.
    No, I'm not saying that's how you think as you obviously have a sensible head on you, but a lot of boxing fans are a bit simple and see things on a racial or nationalist level.

I am British and love Calzaghe, Toney and Barrera on an equal level. It's all about skills, looks and charm for me. If you have those things I might well become a fan. I like Golovkin a lot, but Calzaghe was just better looking, had that cute Welsh lilt in his voice, and could impersonate a windmill.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watching a few rounds of that again I'd love to see Roy deal with Golovkin's pressure. BHop would need to butt him to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    A prime Jones/GGG would be more fun.

Got me checking this out again.

3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins had one of the best wins of his career after Joe beat him. He wasn't prime Hopkins but he wasn't fighting prime Joe either.

Thread Information